Dos Santos Plans to Outbox Cro Cop at UFC 103

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dos Santos Plans to Outbox Cro Cop at UFC 103
Next Page »
Sinister
9/9/09 7:50:09AM
"It’s been a quick trip up the ladder for UFC heavyweight Junior Dos Santos. He was a virtual unknown in America when he took on ground wizard Fabricio Werdum at UFC 90. One right uppercut later, Dos Santos was on the map, flooring Werdum in 81 seconds.

UFC president Dana White said betting lines changed days before the fight when people caught a glimpse of Dos Santos hitting pads.

The 25-year-old native of Salvador, Brazil, breezed through Stefan Struve in 54 seconds at UFC 95, and was scheduled for further seasoning against Justin McCully at UFC 102. Then, in July, one call changed everything."

LINK
mikevolz
9/9/09 11:52:58AM
all he has to do is circle left and he'll be out of danger the entire fight.
Wallass
9/9/09 12:43:21PM
This is going to be a great fight but Dos Santos will knock out Cro Cop!
KaibaThedon
9/9/09 12:45:56PM
WAR JDS
jae_1833
9/9/09 1:20:23PM
Oh man, I feel so bad for CC....JDS may really have his number.
ncordless
9/9/09 1:21:34PM

Posted by mikevolz

Yeah... cause CC has never ko'ed anyone with anything else besides a left head kick
vinny_cro_cop_q
9/9/09 1:31:52PM
I love how everyone is counting CC out already. Its going to make it so much better when Santos is out cold on the ground. If CC is truly back to his old self, santos wont know what hit him.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
9/9/09 1:36:59PM
I'm not counting crocop out of winning any fights in the UFC, I don't think hes going to win this one though....another vote for Junior
mikevolz
9/9/09 1:42:47PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by mikevolz

Yeah... cause CC has never ko'ed anyone with anything else besides a left head kick

the amount of right sided strikes he threw in his fight vs al turk (all hands, 4 had power and were thrown after he was rocked, with a left)

watch his last 5 fights.

cro cop paws with the right, throws left kicks, and straight left punches. he's flat footed and doesn't like being pressured. he has had numerous surgeries ( on his right lead leg) since the gonzaga fight.

he is a fighter who has always relied on his athleticism, he's not a dynamic striker, you know what he's going to throw at you. hes not going to take you down. hes going to try to set up a left kick or a left punch. His time in mma and fighting is and has been over.
ncordless
9/9/09 1:51:52PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by ncordless

Posted by mikevolz

the amount of right sided strikes he threw in his fight vs al turk (all hands, 4 had power and were thrown after he was rocked, with a left)

watch his last 5 fights.

cro cop paws with the right, throws left kicks, and straight left punches. he's flat footed and doesn't like being pressured. he has had numerous surgeries ( on his right lead leg) since the gonzaga fight.

he is a fighter who has always relied on his athleticism, he's not a dynamic striker, you know what he's going to throw at you. hes not going to take you down. hes going to try to set up a left kick or a left punch. His time in mma and fighting is and has been over.

there you go after fleshing out your argument I can see your point. I think that is an interesting strategy, although up to this point it isn't the one that has shown the most success in practice. The traditional idea of how to beat Cro Cop has been to pressure forward and stay close so that the range of the kick is nullified.

I like your idea, too. I wonder which one Dos Santos will go with? Or if there is any other strategies that people can think of.
mikevolz
9/9/09 1:57:13PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by ncordless

Posted by mikevolz

watch his last 5 fights.

there you go after fleshing out your argument I can see your point. I think that is an interesting strategy, although up to this point it isn't the one that has shown the most success in practice. The traditional idea of how to beat Cro Cop has been to pressure forward and stay close so that the range of the kick is nullified.

I like your idea, too. I wonder which one Dos Santos will go with? Or if there is any other strategies that people can think of.

the problem dos santos could run into is if he's losing it on the feet, i think he'll have a hard time getting cro cop on the ground.

i mean a shot from dos santos is out of the question, cro cop will stuff that, so if he wants to go to the ground hed have to go body lock, and i really have no idea how the two of them would match up there. id lean towards cro cop but who knows.

i just think cro cops cardio, and gameplans are so poor that any fighter with half a brain and chin can take him.
Rush
9/9/09 2:39:26PM

Posted by mikevolz

watch his last 5 fights.

The problem I have with your analogy is that CroCop has stated after the Gonzaga fight that he is aware of his problem (and predictability) of setting up the left kick. From what I understand, he has been working on getting rid of that.

What makes it confusing is that his last few fights were taken just before his surgery or before he was fully recovered from surgery.

I for one hope Mirko wasn't just talking and really comes in a refined fighter.

The other thing I don't get (regarding Dana's comment about bets) is how people would put so much stock into watching someone hit pads as if it means much in the grand scheme of fighting. Bruce Lee said it best, boards don't hit back. What next, Mark Bocek will be subbing white belts and everyone will think he can sub BJ?
loller90278
9/9/09 2:45:53PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by mikevolz

watch his last 5 fights.

The problem I have with your analogy is that CroCop has stated after the Gonzaga fight that he is aware of his problem (and predictability) of setting up the left kick. From what I understand, he has been working on getting rid of that.

What makes it confusing is that his last few fights were taken just before his surgery or before he was fully recovered from surgery.

The other thing I don't get (regarding Dana's comment about bets) is how people would put so much stock into watching someone hit pads as if it means much in the grand scheme of fighting. Bruce Lee said it best, boards don't hit back. What next, Mark Bocek will be subbing white belts and everyone will think he can sub BJ?

i actually put money on werdum after i saw werdum hitting the pads on dana's vlog. a HW with fast hands that trains with team black house with great odds is too good to pass up.
postman
9/9/09 2:47:49PM
Cmill where you at? To much hate for you to be so silent!
mikevolz
9/9/09 2:53:03PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by mikevolz

watch his last 5 fights.

at this point, i've read so much **** that cro cop talks, i don't put stock into it anymore (i'll fight overeem anywhere, i won't fight in the ufc anymore, i'm fighting in japan) all of that nonsense, im actually training groundwork. yeah right. i prefer to look at what he has done recently, and he has done less and less in the ring to become a better fighter in terms of evolving.

i understand your pad work example, but you have to put some stock in it. the fact was he was an unknown fighter who was 5-1 (i think?) who came in as a HEAVY underdog vs a fighter who is known to have sub-par striking.

now factor in hes from black house, and displays great pad work. these lines moved so much because he was starting out at +500? +600? if he was +200 they wouldn't of budged, but by that evidence/default you could almost predict he was a better striker than werdum, and that would be worth a few bets until he reached what +300 or where the lines actually settled? i think so.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/9/09 3:00:35PM
SpiderSilva
9/9/09 3:34:43PM
I still have faith in CC just wait he is gonna kick off dos santos head with is RIGHT leg you know the one that sends you to the ER

WAR CRO COP!!!!
mikevolz
9/9/09 6:45:58PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

I still have faith in CC just wait he is gonna kick off dos santos head with is RIGHT leg you know the one that sends you to the ER

WAR CRO COP!!!!

av bet?
hate4thestate
9/9/09 8:44:53PM
cro cop is lookin to make a come back within the ufc. watch out i think cro cop might just dismantle dos santos. but i might eat my words
Rush
9/9/09 9:00:12PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Dos Santos sparring with Shogun

I'm no expert on striking, but he looks like he has no head or body movement at all. He also ate a lot of kicks from Shogun.
SpiderSilva
9/10/09 1:01:02PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by SpiderSilva

WAR CRO COP!!!!

av bet?

Nah I don't think your av could get any worse plus there is only one fight I want to av bet on this year and its not for a few months
mikevolz
9/10/09 3:01:45PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by SpiderSilva

WAR CRO COP!!!!

av bet?

Nah I don't think your av could get any worse plus there is only one fight I want to av bet on this year and its not for a few months

id be worried about sully-ing your av bet record too.
EvenFlow
9/10/09 3:05:34PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by SpiderSilva

WAR CRO COP!!!!

av bet?

id be worried about sully-ing your av bet record too.

He technically has a loss to me, picking Barnett over Fedor.
Rush
9/10/09 3:20:09PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Any ave bet against Fedor should be considered an automatic loss.
mikevolz
9/10/09 6:58:43PM

Posted by EvenFlow

so he comes from the rickson gracie school of record keeping?
EvenFlow
9/10/09 7:08:27PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by EvenFlow

so he comes from the rickson gracie school of record keeping?

lol, we all know what wouldve happened, dont kid yourself

PS roiding makes you a loser by default
xtra_chewy
9/10/09 11:08:30PM
His time in mma and fighting is and has been over.

Sorry CC nuthuggers. Theres no doubting how great CC's skills are, but IMO Junior Dos Santos has his number.
SpiderSilva
9/11/09 8:00:35PM
Ha I could really care less about the av record its not that big of a deal to me sure I was going with Barnett and if they ever do I would still go with Barnett I normaly don't go against Fedor but I was ready to and Evenflow needs to MOVE ON already dude that was like 3 months ago I think its time to MOVE ON! you know what dude let's do it. I'll go with Cro Cop

Rosie send me the bet
BustedKnuckle
9/11/09 8:13:18PM
In the immortal words of Bradley Nowell, Junior is going to be woken up from his daze like state wondering ..........UHHH.... WHAT HAPPENED???
EvenFlow
9/11/09 8:29:02PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Ha I could really care less about the av record its not that big of a deal to me sure I was going with Barnett and if they ever do I would still go with Barnett I normaly don't go against Fedor but I was ready to and Evenflow needs to MOVE ON already dude that was like 3 months ago I think its time to MOVE ON! you know what dude let's do it. I'll go with Cro Cop

Rosie send me the bet

Well you tried to back out of the av bet when I gave you 2:1 odds, and dont take my posts personally clearly you didnt lose to me. It's more a shot at Barnett, because roiding makes you a loser by default.
Pages: [1] 2