What if? Dos Santos vs. Nogueira

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What if? Dos Santos vs. Nogueira
Kpro
7/15/09 3:16:26PM
I mentioned this halfway through another thread and didn't get any thoughts on it.

What if Dos Santos beats Cro Cop and Nogueira beats Couture ?

Would they fight or would Dos Santos defer to Nogueira ?

Could this be one of the reasons Fertitta made the teammate vs. teammate comments earlier this week ?

This thread isn't about if Cro Cop or Couture win, it is specifically, hypothetically, if Dos Santos and Nogueira win.

What do you think would happen in that case ?
Wolfenstein
7/15/09 3:49:16PM
Dos Santos won't fight Noguiera. He's like a father figure to him. Lorenzo can pressure guys to fight their camp mates all he wants, but it's not going to happen.
mkiv9secsupra
7/15/09 3:53:07PM
I hope the two will fight. What harm could come? Its not like they would somehow expose so secret weakness of the other. I hate when these situations come up!!!!
SmileR
7/15/09 3:58:52PM
I doubt they'd fight but its sort of a shame, I know if I wouldn't have a problem with someone I train with fighting me for a shot at the belt. If you're friend before I'm sure you could be friends after.
All that being said I doubt Dos Santos would fight Nog.
mkiv9secsupra
7/15/09 4:20:00PM

Posted by SmileR

I doubt they'd fight but its sort of a shame, I know if I wouldn't have a problem with someone I train with fighting me for a shot at the belt.

Its one thing to not fight your training partners when you are one of the lower tier guys but when you have the chance to fight for a title and dont take the opportunity to fight for it because the other guy is you friend seriously makes me question the fighters drive to be the best in the sport
postman
7/15/09 5:52:54PM
Are you guys for real? Your going to split your gym in 2 and expose the way you know how to capitalize on your training partner. Not to smart. How many of you who have no problem with it actually train and fight? Would you fight your own brother for a shot at the title cause thats the type of relationship I have with my training partners. You bleed with these guys help each other improve every day. You find a weakness in their game and you stop whats going on and you show them how to fix it. Then you are going to fight them? I wouldn't do it.

I don't think its as easy as Dos Santos steps aside for Nog I think they would as a team decide who is the better match up at the time then train for that fighter to win. If your only thinking about yourself in this sport no one is going to go out of their way to help you to your goals. At least thats how I feel.
george112
7/15/09 7:39:39PM

Posted by postman

Are you guys for real? Your going to split your gym in 2 and expose the way you know how to capitalize on your training partner. Not to smart. How many of you who have no problem with it actually train and fight? Would you fight your own brother for a shot at the title cause thats the type of relationship I have with my training partners. You bleed with these guys help each other improve every day. You find a weakness in their game and you stop whats going on and you show them how to fix it. Then you are going to fight them? I wouldn't do it.

I don't think its as easy as Dos Santos steps aside for Nog I think they would as a team decide who is the better match up at the time then train for that fighter to win. If your only thinking about yourself in this sport no one is going to go out of their way to help you to your goals. At least thats how I feel.

well said.
hippysmacker
7/15/09 7:51:52PM

Posted by postman

couldn't have said it better myself.
mkiv9secsupra
7/15/09 8:10:30PM
You guys are kidding yourselves. I'm not an mma fighter but I would sure as hell box any of the guys I box with for a shot at the #1 fighter in my weight class. I would fight my brother in a minute for a shot like that! Its BUISNESS and I'm sure every party involved would know its not personal.... I'm sure its different from the opportunities most of us have been offered at the moment and the opportunity of fighting for the #1 company of the fastest growing sport
Jackelope
7/15/09 9:33:21PM
MMA is full of fighters and martial artists. Fighters would fight their mom for a shot at the title. Martial artists would defer out of respect and tradition. Black House is a camp full of martial artists.
KUTTER
7/15/09 10:21:55PM

Posted by Jackelope

MMA is full of fighters and martial artists. Fighters would fight their mom for a shot at the title. Martial artists would defer out of respect and tradition. Black House is a camp full of martial artists.

WELL SAID!

Although I do agree to extent and respect their integrity.Why should Santos step aside though? Nog had already achieved so much, I would think if Nog cared so deeply and it was indeed like a son to him. Wouldnt it be him to step aside? If its one thing I hate its hypocrits.They are adults, they chose to make this their job.If they cant handle it shouldnt have both signed contracts and be in same weight class. Makes sense to me, what did they think that one always be under the other? That never be put in situation where they should face each other to decide who will progress?Not like they dont spar together, whats the harm in finding out who is the better man,really? I think Nog would be selfish and far from compassionate to let Dos Santos bow out.Bottom line is if they cant handle what the job entails, shouldnt be in same organization.Its not fair to the fans, or to other fighters who wait for a shot.If they cant put on their big boy pants they should go ahead and put it out there as to not waste everybodys time. Whats the point in having a tournament, if come time to see who DESERVES a shot one of them gonna bow out. I dont think the "honor" card going to fly with White either.