Dos Santos vs McCully...Is Dos Santos being built up bass-ackwards?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dos Santos vs McCully...Is Dos Santos being built up bass-ackwards?
POLL: Should Dos Santos face a more credible opponent?
Yes 66% (23)
No 17% (6)
Don't Care 17% (6)
grappler0000
4/10/09 1:44:37AM
There are some MMA fans who will tell you that Junior Dos Santos is one of the ten best heavyweights in the world. Personally, I think he needs one more win over a credible opponent before he becomes Power Ranking-worthy, but I won't deny that he's got serious talent and potential. Which is why it's strange that for his third fight in the Octagon, he's being given someone near the very bottom of the UFC heavyweight totem pole. MMA Junkie reports that Dos Santos and Justin McCully have agreed to face each other at UFC 102 (August 29th; Portland, Oregon). So, quick MMA Math...

Junior Dos Santos wasted Fabricio Werdum, who pwned Gabriel Gonzaga, who made McCully his bitch = OMFG can this fight even get approval by the Oregon State Athletic Commission?

It's unfortunate because it represents a steady backwards progression in the opponents that Dos Santos is getting. For his UFC debut, he was given Werdum — a top-ten heavyweight at the time — and knocked his head into the mezzanine. Then, he was matched up with Stefan Struve, who was a killer in European leagues but untested against high-level competition, and needed less than a minute to destroy him. And now Dos Santos is being offered a fight against a guy who nobody thinks is any good. Are they building him up towards a super-fight with Jason Guida?

Link
EvenFlow
4/10/09 1:56:32AM
I like the idea of young prospects and even established vets fighting the B and C Level fighters. It shows that they can win against anyone and those Matt Serra upsets can happen and make things more interesting for the division. Besides, what if McCully beats him? he'll have to start over again. That being said I think he'll stomp McCully in the 1st.
Pookie
4/10/09 2:01:18AM
We just might get to see Dos Santos takedown defense.

His bjj is supposedly very legitimate, so im not sure that TDD will matter against a guy who almost got submitted by Hardonk.

But for the long run its a decent litmus test against Wrestlers should Dos Santos not knock his head off first.

I see the logic behind it.
Khaos
4/10/09 2:10:26AM
I don't think it's a step backwards, McCully is a credible oponent in my opinion, I doubt he'll win, but he deserves to be there.
mach
4/10/09 2:47:03AM
Who is he gonna fight? Everyone else is pretty much tied up. Carwin and Gonzaga just fought, Mir/Lesnar, Nog/Couture are tied up, Kongo is tied up with Antoni Hardonk, Pat Barry seems to have potential but he's only fought once in the UFC IIRC, I may be blanking but who else would he really fight? Eddie Sanchez? I literally can't think of anyone else.

Seems like he may as well fight McCully until some of the dust settles in the HW division this summer.

edit: that article is horrible, did he justify his argument with MMA math? And use PWN in an article?

This guy is dumb as hell
loller90278
4/10/09 3:13:59AM

Posted by Pookie

His bjj is supposedly very legitimate, so im not sure that TDD will matter against a guy who almost got submitted by Hardonk.

But for the long run its a decent litmus test against Wrestlers should Dos Santos not knock his head off first.

man im so tired of ppl underrating hardonk's JJ! i believe hes a purple (?) belt under Gracie!! i think his JJ is top 5 in ufc in the HW division
StorminYourman
4/10/09 3:15:39AM
The UFC just needs more credible HWs.It is just that simple.If they had that I would not have to have to have read that moronic article.

Truthfully MMA as a whole needs more credible HWs.
Until then we should complain about match ups that are not really huge mismatches
Pookie
4/10/09 3:59:36AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Pookie

man im so tired of ppl underrating hardonk's JJ! i believe hes a purple (?) belt under Gracie!! i think his JJ is top 5 in ufc in the HW division

That armbar was still very sloppy and telegraphed.

I wouldnt say hes top 5 personally, but then again i cant name 5 bjj black belts in the division

What does your top 5 look like? Nog, Mir, Gonzaga, Dos Santos, Hardonk?
Mr_Dead_Sexy
4/10/09 5:49:30AM
McCully was supposed to get his block knocked off by Hardonk. That didn't happen. Then, he was supposed to be outgunned by Sanchez. He was the decisive underdog in both fights, and he won fairly convincing decisions. It's a "step down" sure, but who in the UFC HW division can they give him who would be top 10, who isn't either already booked, or just fought? We may get a chance to see his TD defense and BJJ. If he does a great job showcasing them, the UFC has all it needs to make him seem like a legitimate title contender and top 10 talent.
tberg420
4/10/09 8:50:25AM
I agree with everyone here. McCully presents some problems for Dos Santos when it comes to the wrestling game. The article is also poorly written and it's a shame that a site like cagepotato would allow that to be published.
slapshot
4/10/09 9:15:23AM
Funny how McCully is somehow not a worthy opponent? My personal belief is that if McCully comes in shape and ready like he should be that the odds are he's going to beat Dos Santos.

For the UFC who has a shallow yet expanding heavyweight pool Fabricio Werdum and McCully are both top ten fighters thats right top ten, so I dont see how anyone can call them B and C class fighters or think Dos Santos deserves someone ranked higher....

P.S. How is this in the News Share forum?
Twenty20Dollars
4/10/09 9:46:17AM
UFC is trying to weed out McCully by matching him up with Dos Santos.
prozacnation1978
4/10/09 9:50:29AM
i think he should fight a worthy opponent then again the ufc might be grooming him slowly like cain
tberg420
4/10/09 10:07:10AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think he should fight a worthy opponent then again the ufc might be grooming him slowly like cain

So name this worthy opponent that isn't already scheduled for an upcoming fight? There really isn't anyone.
slapshot
4/10/09 10:16:34AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

UFC is trying to weed out McCully by matching him up with Dos Santos.

Dont think thats there motivation, they just got him. McCully has some past issues with training and coming in prepared but when he dose focus and come into a fight well prepared the guy wins decisions.

I think you guys are underestimating him because he's not all that exciting of a fighter but he did beat Antoni Hardonk who most people have ranked in the UFC.
Twenty20Dollars
4/10/09 1:40:24PM
Oh yeah McCully beat Hardonk by decision, lay n prey.

What has McCully done since then? Lost to gonzaga and beat sanchez by decision.

Where as Hardonk has won 3 straight tko's.
loller90278
4/11/09 10:05:13PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Pookie

I wouldnt say hes top 5 personally, but then again i cant name 5 bjj black belts in the division

that list is almost exact to mine.. except i'd take out dos santos cuz i havnt seen anything from him, and put Struve there.
1cornerman
4/11/09 11:12:53PM
definetley a step or two backwards. k.o.s werdun, then stefan struve , now mcully next. dudes heavy handed for sure. havent seen anything of him outside the ufc so im not sure what hes got on the ground, he throws to finish tho. plus hes not that big. i think most of the heavy heavies will prolly eat em up. mcully may even get him if he aint got no ground game. we'll see.
Pookie
4/11/09 11:58:31PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Pookie

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Pookie

that list is almost exact to mine.. except i'd take out dos santos cuz i havnt seen anything from him, and put Struve there.

oh i see, i put dos santos there because hes one of the 4 blackbelts i could think of off hand.