Dos Santos Knocks Werdum Out of UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dos Santos Knocks Werdum Out of UFC
Twenty20Dollars
11/10/08 1:06:02AM
linkage

Following a rocky time in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, capped by a surprising knockout loss to Octagon newcomer Junior dos Santos at UFC 90, Chute Boxe fighter Fabricio Werdum has left the promotion.

Sources tell MMAWeekly.com that Werdum's exit comes on the heels of a failed contract renegotiation following the loss to dos Santos. The Brazilian came into the fight with the expectation that he would soon be contending for a heavyweight title shot.

The knockout at UFC 90 derailed anything of the like in the near future, and spurred a renegotiation of his contract. Werdum and the UFC were apparently unable to come to an agreement. He has already opened talks with other promotions in the U.S. and Japan.

After losing his opening salvo in the UFC to Andrei Arlovski, Werdum put together back-to-back impressive victories with TKOs of Gabriel Gonzaga and Brandon Vera, effectively positioning him as one of the top contenders in the promotion's heavyweight division.

Current champion Randy Couture faces Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 on Saturday and interim heavyweight titleholder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira defends against Frank Mir on Dec. 27 at UFC 92. The winners of those two fights are expected to fight in early 2009, as a unification bout to the UFC mini-tournament.

Had Werdum taken care of business against dos Santos, he was expected to be in contention to face the unified heavyweight champion later in the year. Now it appears he will be moving on to another promotion such as Affliction in the U.S. or Dream or Sengoku in Japan.
Twenty20Dollars
11/10/08 1:15:41AM
Too bad so sad. Kinda seems like Werdum still wanted to be in the title picture after getting KO'ed. Someone else will emerge though.

I think Werdum will go to Sengoku.
Khaos
11/10/08 1:16:37AM
Wow, that's very unfortunate
MMAcca
11/10/08 1:30:56AM
He's had good exposure in the UFC, especially in beating one it's poster boys (Vera), so i think Affliction could pay a lot of money for him.

Maybe he'll fight Barnett/Sylvia on the January card......
Pskinner_mma314
11/10/08 1:46:22AM

Posted by MMAcca

He's had good exposure in the UFC, especially in beating one it's poster boys (Vera), so i think Affliction could pay a lot of money for him.

I seriously would NOT consider Brandon Vera a poster boy for the UFC, sorry I just don't see what validates that statement.
PaleHorse
11/10/08 1:51:45AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by MMAcca

I seriously would NOT consider Brandon Vera a poster boy for the UFC, sorry I just don't see what validates that statement.

Not a posterboy but they were grooming him to be, like they do a lot of other fighters, Roger Huerta began to get some special attention, GSP, Rich Franklin, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture are all posterboys, Vera may join them one day.
wapttn
11/10/08 2:24:33AM
werdum's win over vera means little to nothing. That fight was not an impressive fight for either fighter and ended prematurely on a poor referee stoppage. Following that performance, vera has had two lackluster performances in the lhw division which have effectively killed the popularity he had entering the sylvia fight.

As talented and capable as werdum may seem...
arlovski... boring loss
gonzga... gonzaga's leg kicks were the most exciting part of the fight.. still not sure what happened there..
vera.. poor stoppage
dos santos... good action, exciting fight... got ktfoed

werdum probably thought he deserved a contract that paid him as if he were next in line for a title shot... reality is that his record in the ufc is 2-2 and he's not an exciting or memorable fighter. If I were affliction I'd grab him quickly, it'd be another dagger to the ufc and their heavy weight division. Not to mention theres no real competition in that weight class outside of those two promotions.
ThePlague
11/10/08 4:03:36AM
Seems like another one of these fighters that blames the UFC for their faliures, when they really should be mad a themselves. How worthy does he think he is of holding the HW belt after coming off a first round KO loss?
Wolfenstein
11/10/08 4:46:56AM
Vey surprising, especially considering the UFC's lack of depth at HW. Are they really ready to give Affliction another top HW? Hopefully he can rack up a few wins outside the promotion and return to the UFC in the future.
mrsmiley
11/10/08 5:22:35AM

Posted by MMAcca

Stop it.I'm getting excited!
prozacnation1978
11/10/08 9:18:34AM
sad to see him go, i think he should stay
another top 10 heavyweight gone
he got alot of exposure with the ufc
he will land in japan
4u2nv
11/10/08 9:58:24AM
I do believe he'll end up in Japan. His last apperrance in the UFC was a disappointment to say the least and I just don't see him winning the belt either. He's looking for a huge paycheck but hasn't put out whats he's worth in his last few fights so... Cya later and good luck somewhere else.
Ordep
11/10/08 10:57:27AM

young prospects HW are in the UFC right now (exc. Randy and Nog) but the already established competition is outside, now with Fabricio out
Hope Affliction picks him and build another HW packed card.
Kracker_Jap
11/10/08 11:14:32AM
I hope he stays atleast here in the states.... Where all the fighters are tested.....
I hope Affliction can use him against Ben Rothwell.... Then if he loses we will all feel better about the UFC decision
postman
11/10/08 12:58:47PM

Posted by MMAcca

Ufc sent me a poster with Vera on it also it has GSP, Hughes, Chuck and Anderson to name a few so If your on a ufc poster and your a boy are you a ufc poster boy?
Pskinner_mma314
11/10/08 1:33:38PM

Posted by postman

Posted by MMAcca

Ufc sent me a poster with Vera on it also it has GSP, Hughes, Chuck and Anderson to name a few so If your on a ufc poster and your a boy are you a ufc poster boy?

I guess, if your lookin at the more literal side of it
Gipper
11/10/08 3:17:52PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

sad to see him go, i think he should stay
another top 10 heavyweight gone
he got alot of exposure with the ufc
he will land in japan

agree 100%
cmill21
11/10/08 4:55:50PM
Booo, UFC's HW pool is weak. Then again they can make anyone a top 10 just through promotion(vera being one), so people will think it's got a ton of top HW's. I think he splits time in Dream and Affliction.
bls1919
11/10/08 5:24:42PM
This sucks . Another top HW out the door because they won't pay them. It's not like he was asking for more money. They wanted out of his contract and acted like vultures and now he's gone.
ncordless
11/10/08 8:28:37PM
Apparently Werdum doesn't know that he's been cut because he says on tatame.com that he is still in the UFC.

Either no one told Werdum or mmaweekly is proving to be just another overgrown blog which reports rumors.
fullerene
11/10/08 9:22:42PM
He'd be an interesting addition to Affliction.

I thought he was a guy they'd want to keep Brock away from in the UFC.
cmill21
11/10/08 10:02:18PM

Posted by fullerene

He'd be an interesting addition to Affliction.

I thought he was a guy they'd want to keep Brock away from in the UFC.

Yeah, other then the Dos Santo's fight he's never been finished, and he's faced some top notch guys, I don't really get why they did this. Werdum has been making strides in his stand up, finished GG their heir apperent and sent Vera to LHW, like it or not Werdum was definetly winning that fight, and with what we've seen from Vera it was very unlikely that he would have been able to come back. I think Werdum should be pissed, he was set up in a lose lose fight, he could win and get a title shot AFTER the mini tourney was over(long time) or he could lose and be sent back to start. I dunno but I think he's better off outside. All I have to say is poor Nog, after Randy retires he's there left with a bunch of new guys that won't do much for his legacy, and if he loses it looks like he'll be sent packing to.
ziegler3334
11/10/08 11:12:38PM
I don't think that werdum is as good as we all thought. The Dos Santos fight was a sticky situation for him, kinda a nothing to gain fight for him (except a paycheck). But getting finished in the manner he was definitely contributed to this. He didn't look great from the time he started walking in IMO. I immediately thought he looked slow.

With all that considered, I wish the UFC could have worked something out with him. I don't know if he wanted contender-type money (which he does not warrant) or what. If that is the case, i understand him being released. But i think he could still be a valuable fighter to any organization. He may not be a ufc champion, but any big man that good on the ground should be welcome anywhere.
fullerene
11/11/08 9:03:20AM

Posted by ziegler3334

I don't think that werdum is as good as we all thought. The Dos Santos fight was a sticky situation for him, kinda a nothing to gain fight for him (except a paycheck). But getting finished in the manner he was definitely contributed to this. He didn't look great from the time he started walking in IMO. I immediately thought he looked slow..

i don't think many people thought he was any good standing. As a matter of fact he was pretty terrible in that department. But his ground game was maybe the best in the business as he seemed to hold his own or get the better of even the best HWs out there--Gonzaga, Nog, Einemo. He was one-dimensional, but it made for interesting matchups against wrestlers and BJJ players which make up the majority of the UFC's top guys right now.

I don't think he was ever going to beat guys like Barnett, Fedor or Arlovski who could outstrike him and keep the fight standing. But those guys aren't in the UFC. In contrast Randy, Lesnar, Mir and Nog would have all had some problems with him IMO.