Dos Santos will fight Jon Jones if asked by the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dos Santos will fight Jon Jones if asked by the UFC
prophecy033
6/4/12 11:54:42PM
Junior Dos Santos has uttered the words that Dana White will love to hear, revealing he will fight Jon Jones if the situation arises.

Dos Santos is currently the King of the UFC heavyweight division, having made a first successful defence of his belt against Frank Mir. He is expected to rematch Cain Velasquez next, after which there are few obvious challengers.

The clamour is growing for Jones, the light-heavyweight champion, to step up in weight to fight the Brazilian as he too finds himself running out of title contenders. Jones fights Dan Henderson at UFC 151, and he has confessed a desire to switch weights in 2013.

Link
frizzzlecake
6/5/12 12:33:44AM
Why wouldn't he? It's not like Bones and JDS train together...Or go to movie premiers and are "best friends"....lookin' at you Anderson.
prophecy033
6/5/12 12:35:21AM
Jones isn't big enough to take on and beat Jr. That fight would get ugly pretty quick
RhythmAndStyle
6/5/12 12:52:08AM
LMFAO!..sorry Cigano, but Jones claims to be one of ur friends and he wont fight u, since he doesnt fight friends..but he has taken on former team mate Evans, so after Henderson, Jones kinda doesnt have anyone else..Cigano, is cleaning out his division pretty fast also, Cigano also has beaten all the top HW contenders..but Jones knows the real reason he wont fight Cigano..cuz he would get KTFO, and imho, it wouldnt matter what division it happend in too, LHW / HW..KTFO..i would def pay to watch Cigano tear Jones up..
jae_1833
6/5/12 1:01:44AM
Still prefer to see Anderson vs Jones and JDS vs Overeem.
KungFuMaster
6/5/12 1:07:13AM
I am salivating to the thought of it

FastKnockout
6/5/12 1:51:24AM
Bones already metioned he and Junior are "friends."

I smell fear.
Kpro
6/5/12 3:44:58AM
If Bones was going to face JDS for the title in 2013 (this assuming they both get past their next challenges), Bones would begin to build his body to be a Heavyweight as soon as his next fight was over, not planning to go back to LHW, and would walk in as the bigger fighter. I have no doubt.
gartface
6/5/12 11:18:00AM
I agree that Jones may be hesitant/scared, but why is he already talking about this fight? He has at least three opponents lined up - Velasquez, Overeem, Cormier, Werdum/Russow and is far from cleaning out the division. Plus by the time he defends the belt a couple times you'll have guys like Stipe and Travis Browne shooting up the ladder quickly.

Svartorm
6/5/12 12:07:38PM

Posted by prophecy033

Jones isn't big enough to take on and beat Jr. That fight would get ugly pretty quick

Wouldn't even be a fight honestly. Jones doesn't hit hard enough and would never sucker him forward to land a takedown.
machodog76
6/5/12 1:44:35PM
"The major stumbling block appeared to the identity of the heavyweight champion, namely Dos Santos, who Jones likens to a brother." Do they even train together? Did I miss something This whole, "I won't fight him he's my friend" is out of hand. You'd never hear Troy Polamalu say he wouldn't tackle Carson Palmer.
george112
6/5/12 2:29:37PM
Jones could make this fight competitive easily

All he has to do is bulk up a little.

He has the speed. reach and could possibly have the strength advantage
Pskinner_mma314
6/5/12 2:34:11PM

Posted by gartface

I agree that Jones may be hesitant/scared, but why is he already talking about this fight? He has at least three opponents lined up - Velasquez, Overeem, Cormier, Werdum/Russow and is far from cleaning out the division. Plus by the time he defends the belt a couple times you'll have guys like Stipe and Travis Browne shooting up the ladder quickly.

To be quite honest I still don't understand my Browne hasn't gotten a little step up in competition....dude is a beast and he is a force, mark my words....he may not beat JDS if they ever fight, but he will bring it to him.....you heard it here 1st.

As for Jones, he's 24, same age as me, he still ain't grown into his grown man body yet, once he does, 205 at 6'5" I think he is, is gonna be to hard on his body. He will go to HW, and for the 1st time, Jones will be undersized, except for his Stretch Armstong reach. Jones will have way less success at HW, so he will more than likely milk his time at LHW as long as he can.
ncordless
6/5/12 3:03:00PM
Jones will be a HW sooner than later. He has been getting bigger each fight. Two years ago, Jones was only cutting about ten pounds to get to 205, last fight he was cutting from 230. He could easily be as large as his brother Chandler.
Chael_Sonnen
6/5/12 6:14:20PM
Not this "friends" bs again.....Stann and Sonnen are friends and they fought......

Translation = Bones won't fight JDS because JDS would embarrass Bones......really, really bad......like D.U.I. on the way to bible study, bad.
ghandikush
6/5/12 6:59:46PM
Jones would embarrass JDS with clinching to the ground. But that aside both have plenty to do in their divisions respectively.

Jones has dangerous rematches with Lyoto and Shogun potentially and he has dangerous challenges from Hendo and tall guy I cant remember lol

Then if he beats those two he still has mr wonderful who could have evolved by then.
Chael_Sonnen
6/5/12 9:10:42PM

Posted by ghandikush

Jones would embarrass JDS with clinching to the ground. But that aside both have plenty to do in their divisions respectively.

Jones has dangerous rematches with Lyoto and Shogun potentially and he has dangerous challenges from Hendo and tall guy I cant remember lol

Then if he beats those two he still has mr wonderful who could have evolved by then.

Man, I wish I could neg prop your ass.....Jones couldn't get JDS to the ground if his Bud Light Commerical-drinking and driving-annoying fat older brother-fake persona-butt depended on it.

Stop playing so many video games, go outside and get some fresh air. Date the opposite sex from time to time...I know it would be a change, but hey, it's progress.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/6/12 12:24:20AM

Posted by machodog76

"The major stumbling block appeared to the identity of the heavyweight champion, namely Dos Santos, who Jones likens to a brother." Do they even train together? Did I miss something This whole, "I won't fight him he's my friend" is out of hand. You'd never hear Troy Polamalu say he wouldn't tackle Carson Palmer.

Of course you wouldn't; Carson Palmer actually has to play for Polamalu to tackle him. Damn USC washup.
Pookie
6/6/12 12:39:46AM

Posted by ghandikush

Jones would embarass JDS, but Lyoto/Shogun/Hendo are dangerous challenges.

Regardless of the interpreter's stance, this post isn't going to make sense to anybody.
Boo_Radley21
6/6/12 10:52:59AM
Don't really like either of these guys. Dos Santos annoyed me with his comments about Mir and his general personality. UFC's media shows like countdowns or inside or whatever it's called really do a good job of making me hate people
BlueSkiesBurn
6/6/12 3:36:59PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Don't really like either of these guys. Dos Santos annoyed me with his comments about Mir and his general personality. UFC's media shows like countdowns or inside or whatever it's called really do a good job of making me hate people

You're absolutely joking, right? You don't like Dos Santos? I mean...to each their own, but JDS is quite possibly the most polarizing and likable guy in all of sports. For someone to say that they don't like this guy...baffles my mind. I got nothing.
bigrand826
6/7/12 1:58:44PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Boo_Radley21

You're absolutely joking, right? You don't like Dos Santos? I mean...to each their own, but JDS is quite possibly the most polarizing and likable guy in all of sports. For someone to say that they don't like this guy...baffles my mind. I got nothing.

I agree, dos Santos is extremely likable. His quote about Mir not having heart or not being a man put me off a bit, but not as much as Big Nog's comment about Mir's simple ground game. Those comments were made during a team dinner that happened to be taped. I don't know how much footage they had, but that was the most controversial thing they got from JDS. To me something like that is different than saying something to media members during an interview or press conference. If you are a big Mir fan, I guess I could see how that might make you not like him, though.