I dont understand? Forrest/Rampage- Good decision or bad?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » I dont understand? Forrest/Rampage- Good decision or bad?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Aether
7/6/08 11:49:25AM

Posted by Taylor8766

I can't believe some of you guys are saying that the only reson they gave this fight to Forrest is because he's a fan favourite, WTF, did any of you guys watch the fight Forrest didn't win because he was the fan favourite he won because he was the better fighter. And it's not aws if Rampage isn't a fan favourite, lots of people like him too, so I dont see how you guys can say that, just cus Rampage lost, and like he said Forrest was the better fighter tonight.

There's always going to be a few conspiracy theorists, but I think that the majority of us saying that rampage either won or should've kept his belt in a draw just think that the judges have different criteria. I believe that they gave it to Forrest because he pushed the pace more, and a lot of his shots looked close but actually didn't land. I just disagree with their assessment. I think that accuracy and power punching should be the #1 criteria on the feet. Counter-punching should be considered an equally viable strategy IMO, I don't think backing up should automatically give you a handicap. That's just what a fighter with shorter reach needs to do in most cases... fade away from their attacker and try to counter.

I wouldn't place too much stock in the people saying that it's because of racism or that the fight was rigged. Most of us are arguing from a much more logical standpoint.
VictimSix
7/6/08 11:59:30AM

Posted by JBatch

I had it a draw. 2 rounds forrest 2 page and then 5 being a 9-9. I agree with hippysmacker that if your going to take a mans belt yougot to beat him decisivey and that did not happen. Very disappointed in the decision of that fight.

Wow thats exactly how I scored the fight too. Good to see someone else not scared to give a 9-9 round when it deserves it. I also come from the mind set that the challenger has to do more to take the belt then the champion has to do to defend it. Forrest brought it though and I'm sure they will meet up again very soon.
mrsmiley
7/6/08 12:09:53PM
I had Forrest winning on my scorecard,though I was wanting Rampage to win really freaking bad.Rampage had a lot of KO power,but with every passing round his KO power was less and less it seemed liked to me.After the first round when you see Rampage going back to his corner,he clearly looked frustrated to me.Dissapointed that he didn't finish the fight in the first.

I'm pissed he lost,but hell, it was a good fight and I can't take anything away from Forrest.I believe he won the fight and was using his reach and kicks to his advantage.
fade2black2004
7/6/08 12:25:16PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by GrizzlyChadams
Hell, Rampage couldn't even walk properly at that time, let alone land anything.

he still rocked forrest multiple times in the third fourth and fifth. while i agree with you that forrest won the fifth, i think rampage absolutely won the third and fourth and first. 10-8 in the second for forrest and the fifth for forrest, the fight should have been a draw.

He didnt rock forrest but once in the first round, he did CONNECT with some good hits every once in a while (very few and far apart) but nothing that would come close to even knocking out forrest, the closest i would say he was rocked was when he was standing up in the 4th and he connected with a punch, more of a loss of balance from trying to get up/back away then a "rock"

Im getting tired of hearing that Forrest won to make the UFC money, Forrest is a fan favorite true but whats the most profitable fight he can have now? the rematch with rampage and a "teacher vs student" match with Liddell

IF Rampage had won we could get
Rampage vs Silva 3
Rampage vs Shogun 3
Rampage vs Lidell 3
Rampage vs Griffin 2

People love Rampage maybe not as much as Forrest but they love him ALOT

Forrest was the clear winner in my eyes

also just to throw it out there I think forrest has a better shot of beating lidell then he did coming in against shogun and rampage so the whol e"they pu the belt on forrest to get it back on lidell" is BS to me
NatedawgThaM
7/6/08 12:35:47PM
10-8 rounds are what screwed Rampage. How do you give Forrest TWO 10-8 rounds? That's some clear BS right there. And how did Rampage not win round 1? I know it was close but if I had to choose a winner I'd definitely have given it to Rampage.

I really disagree with the decision, at the most for Forrest it should have been a Draw. Since you could go 10-8 in the 2nd and give Forrest round 5. I really don't like the UFC judges, at times it really makes you think fights are rigged and judges are paid off especially with ridiculous scoring like that. Don't get me wrong, it was a really close fight. A great exciting fight. I just don't agree with Forrest being the winner. I give him all the respect and props in the world for making it close and putting on one hell of a fight, but I still don't think he won. But I congratulate him anyway.

Hopefully this does not screw up Rampage's UFC career since in Dana Whites dreamland, he clearly wants him out of the title picture and Liddell back in. And you can only have one in there which sucks too
cmill21
7/6/08 12:37:35PM
After seeing how the scoring wen't i'm even more pissed off.
Mastodon2
7/6/08 12:47:46PM
Once again I'm enormously disappointed to see another fight go the Judges, particularly because I don't like the UFC judging. People are talking about Rampage doing nothing, I think this picture is pretty interesting...

cmill21
7/6/08 12:51:32PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Once again I'm enormously disappointed to see another fight go the Judges, particularly because I don't like the UFC judging. People are talking about Rampage doing nothing, I think this picture is pretty interesting...

Lol that pic makes rampage's post fight interview seem kind of funny.
RNC
7/6/08 12:55:39PM
Does this move Forrest up to #1 LHW in the world now?
TimW001
7/6/08 1:04:20PM
I thought Forrest won. I was supporting Page.
tomsmith17381
7/6/08 1:10:16PM
forrest without doubt won that fight he was the aggressor throughout the whole fight and landed way more scoring shots than rampage. Yes rampage landed one bomb but that isn't enough to win a fight. when forrest was on his back he was still the more aggressive fighter trying for submissions.
tomsmith17381
7/6/08 1:19:25PM

Posted by beerman77

Posted by JoyDivision

Good decision:
1st round- Obviously Rampage's round. He almost knocked Forrest out.
2nd round- All Forrest. He landed a few knees and got Rampage down. Mounted him and did some GnP.
3rd round- Razor thin, but Forrest was slightly more aggressive.
4th round- Rampage won this one. He landed some good shots and took Forrest down.
5th round- Also a fairly close round but again, Forrest was a little more aggressive except for maybe the last 30 seconds.

Not enough to give the challenger the belt, no matter how much the UFC loves him...

why isnt this enough the guy is spot on in his judgement. so you are saying to beat a champ you have to give a big ass whooping and nothing else will do
Gipper
7/6/08 1:21:58PM
hey rampage got the close decision last time against hendo. thats what happens when it goes to the judges.
cmill21
7/6/08 1:22:22PM

Posted by tomsmith17381

Posted by beerman77

Posted by JoyDivision

Good decision:
1st round- Obviously Rampage's round. He almost knocked Forrest out.
2nd round- All Forrest. He landed a few knees and got Rampage down. Mounted him and did some GnP.
3rd round- Razor thin, but Forrest was slightly more aggressive.
4th round- Rampage won this one. He landed some good shots and took Forrest down.
5th round- Also a fairly close round but again, Forrest was a little more aggressive except for maybe the last 30 seconds.

Not enough to give the challenger the belt, no matter how much the UFC loves him...

why isnt this enough the guy is spot on in his judgement. so you are saying to beat a champ you have to give a big ass whooping and nothing else will do

No but close decsions should go to the champ...like the tie goes to the runner.
Aaronno9
7/6/08 1:38:26PM
Once again, Forrest wins and his win gets tarnished. I bet if Jackson had won the fight in the exact same way Forrest did, half the guys complaining about the decision would of said nothing.
ill_cut_ya
7/6/08 1:39:35PM
well said
JBatch
7/6/08 1:42:22PM
Forrest is to Vegas what Bisping is to England. The guy who won't lose unless you beat him before the final horn. I really am in disbelief still, and how can you score the fight 49-46. I now really want to know what a fight looks like from ringside.
cmill21
7/6/08 1:48:29PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Once again, Forrest wins and his win gets tarnished. I bet if Jackson had won the fight in the exact same way Forrest did, half the guys complaining about the decision would of said nothing.

In all honesty though, I can deal with the decision, but the scoring is what has me right now.
Franklinfan47
7/6/08 1:49:53PM
Personally, I think Rampage won that fight. He seemed more aggresive, inflicted more damage, etc. BUT, the fight was so close that I don't think anyone can make a really convincing argument for either side. I could have easily seen it going to a decision for either fighter, or a draw.

Racism shouldn't even be brought into the argument, its ridiculous in my book. When the fight goes to the judges hands like that, anything can happen. THATS MMA.

Therefore, I accept the decision but I will argue till im blue in the face that the decision could have easily gone the other way and warrants a rematch sometime in the future.
Aaronno9
7/6/08 1:52:08PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Aaronno9

In all honesty though, I can deal with the decision, but the scoring is what has me right now.

Y'know, even though i scored the fight a draw, but would of been happy with either fighter winning, i agree. I cant see where that one judge got 49-46, that was ridiculous.
Aether
7/6/08 2:37:42PM
Personally I would criticize any decision I felt to be wrong regardless of if a fighter I like won or lost. I had no preference as to which fighter won other than possibly getting some imaginary points on a fantasy betting site. I was pulling for cote despite the fact that I picked against him, as I like to support canadian fighters and I still will argue against him winning that decision. I also used to be a kalib starnes fan until his last fight. I have no problem looking at a situation objectively and throwing away my bias to make a clean judgement.

I'm sure you're right that several people will argue because one fighter is their favourite, but the same is true of forrest and any fighter in a close decision, it's not a legitimate argument to discredit what people are saying. It works for both fighters, and many of us are simply stating what we truly believe, not basing our opinions on feelings or preference.
warglory
7/6/08 3:41:00PM
Wow, how anyone could even call this fight close is beyond me.

Round 1 - What did Jackson do in this round besides land a good shot? I tcould even be argued that Griffin wasn't even that hurt by it because after a brief gnp session that was quite ineffective, Griffin scrambled out very well and finished the round strong. This was a dominant round for Griffin imo. 10-9 Griffin

Round 2 - Griffin all the way, no debate here. 10-8 Griffin

Round 3 - Griffin was more aggressive, but Rampage landed better shots. I gave this one to Rampage. Very close though. 10-9 Rampage

Round 4 - Despite Griffin's sub attempts, probably did a bit more to grab this round. 10-9 Rampage

Round 5 - Rampage was much more tentative issuing flurries only in a counterstrike situation. Griffin controlled this round, and did to Rampage what he wanted. 10-9 Griffin

I am astonished that this fight is being debated 7 pages into this thread. This wasn't racism, this wasn't biased, it was Griffin fighting a great fight. Like someone said earlier, Henderson vs. Rampage was much much closer than this one.
NinjaCyborg
7/6/08 3:51:20PM

Posted by warglory

Round 1 - What did Jackson do in this round besides land a good shot? I tcould even be argued that Griffin wasn't even that hurt by it because after a brief gnp session that was quite ineffective, Griffin scrambled out very well and finished the round strong. This was a dominant round for Griffin imo. 10-9 Griffin

Round 3 - Griffin was more aggressive, but Rampage landed better shots. I gave this one to Rampage. Very close though. 10-9 Rampage

Round 4 - Despite Griffin's sub attempts, probably did a bit more to grab this round. 10-9 Rampage

Round 5 - Rampage was much more tentative issuing flurries only in a counterstrike situation. Griffin controlled this round, and did to Rampage what he wanted. 10-9 Griffin

I am astonished that this fight is being debated 7 pages into this thread. This wasn't racism, this wasn't biased, it was Griffin fighting a great fight. Like someone said earlier, Henderson vs. Rampage was much much closer than this one.

I agree with every single thing you said!!!
Forrest clearly won this fight. Forrest looked amazing!
GrizzlyChadams
7/6/08 3:56:28PM
Round 2 was without a doubt a 10 - 8 round. It doesn't matter whether or not Forrest did alot of damage while he had him mounted. He completely controlled the entire round and Rampage didn't do anything at all that round.
ICSlegend
7/6/08 3:56:44PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

I agree with every single thing you said!!!
Forrest clearly won this fight. Forrest looked amazing!

Yeah, it's real amazing to throw hundreds of strikes and actually only land 10-15, 3 or 4 of which did damage

GSPCanada
7/6/08 4:13:48PM
I found this in another thread

Adalaide Byrd scored the fight 48-46. He gave 4 and 5 to Jackson and Griffin 1, 2, and 3.

Nelson Hamilton had it 48-46, with 1 and 4 for Jackson, and Griffin getting 2 10-8.

Roy Silbert had it 49-46 with only round 4 for Jackson.

The decision was right maybe could have been a draw but rampage definitly did not win. The scoring is ridiculous and i think most people agree but its difficult because the only general agreement is forrest won 10-8 second round. the judge's were all over the place though:

2 judges gave 10-8 for the 2nd round while one gave it 10-9 all 3 judges gave rampage round 4 and gave forrest round 3 oen of which was 10-8 (?) 2 jufges gave rampage round 1 and 1 judge gave rampage round 5

this is how i saw it:
1) forrest was winning but it was one of those if you had to give it someone who would you give it to and then rampage got em good in my opinion evened the round making it 10 - 10
2) all forrest but forrest never wanted to finish the fight he had him moutned but was conservative because he didn't want to win the round at this poitn i knew forrest wanted to win a decision but still 10-8
3) rampage avoided the leg kicks and i believe won it 10-9
4) same deal except jackson is winning from the top and forrest is bleeding and hurt good job w/ submissions but he never finsihed it so give it to jackson 10-9
5) by round 5 I had it a draw round 5 was dull by had forrest winning that 1 but could easily been a 10-10 round so i had forrest winning but would not at all have been surprised if a judge gave jacksonthe first or only gave forrest 10-9 (which did happen but they didn't agree w/ me on round 3) all in all i think it was a draw the decision was right the scoring was wrong and plain and simple rampage did not fight good i was disappointed in his performance
EON
7/6/08 4:24:21PM
Imo opinion it was 47-47 draw, even if Forrest won by 1 point you still have to definitivly defeat the champ (see Arlovski Sylvia 3 which is basically my point), and I'm not convinced Forrest did enough.

bad decision
ncordless
7/6/08 4:46:34PM

Posted by warglory

I guess I see a near knockout and some cut causing GnP as definitely winning the round. The judges gave round 1 to Forrest... which is completely ridiculous. what did he do offensively in that round that wasn't trumped by Rampage? rounds 3 and 5 were debateable and could of gone either way, but round 1 was solidly for Rampage.
sammyd1213
7/6/08 5:13:53PM
I think that Rampage clearly won the fight. 4 rounds to 1. Im a huge Griffin fan and was rooting for him to win the fight, but now Im dissapointed that he has the belt. Rampage was a class act in defeat, and earned a new fan last night.
Boo_Radley21
7/6/08 5:37:36PM

Posted by JBatch

Forrest is to Vegas what Bisping is to England. The guy who won't lose unless you beat him before the final horn. I really am in disbelief still, and how can you score the fight 49-46. I now really want to know what a fight looks like from ringside.

Did you watch the Tito Ortiz fight?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5