Dont we love Tim Boetsch

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dont we love Tim Boetsch
big_timmy
2/13/08 10:03:17PM
This bloke, who on 10 days notice took his first fight in the UFC, and not only beat David Heath, but threw him round like a child, has once again stepped in to another fight for an injured fighter.

Stephan Bonnar's out with a bung knee, and Matt Hamill was without an opponent till 'The Barbarian' takes up the challenge.

Now for the sake of the UFC, i hope Tim wins this fight. Many had high hopes for him after his show he put on at UFC 81 as a wrestler who showed little to no signs of wrestling, but instead used vicious front kicks, leg kicks, and what could be one of the best throws i think i've ever seen in the UFC.

Before Bonnar pulled out of this fight, i wanted Hamill to win, but my thoughts have completely changed in the past half hour after reading that the barbarian is stepping in.

The Barbarian bandwagon starts here ladies and gents.
Jackelope
2/13/08 10:19:13PM
He's definitely living up to his moniker. Hopefully we will see a lot more of him. Being of Norweigan descent myself, I can't help but root for someone who would walk around with the nickname "barbarian" or something like "viking" haha
SmileR
2/13/08 10:19:58PM
He's got the warrior spirit thats for sure!
I hope he wins, who can't like a fighter who takes 2 fights on such short notice!
JBatch
2/13/08 10:36:48PM
I don't know I hate these guys like Houston Alexander and Tim Boetsch that come in KO somebody quick and bad and then act like the baddest man on the planet.

One thing I love about him though is he has got balls. He is like Ross Pointon but better, he will step up and fight anywhere and anyone.
rameydl8
2/13/08 10:44:20PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by J_wieting_9

I'm totally on the band wagon Go Botesch destroy the deaf

its one thing to cheer on somebody but "destroy the deaf' come on show some class if you actually have any now your going to get a disability

thats what i was thinking......i find it really rude to use someones disabilty for humor or w/e u were trying too imply with that statement
big_timmy
2/13/08 11:08:56PM

Posted by JBatch

I don't know I hate these guys like Houston Alexander and Tim Boetsch that come in KO somebody quick and bad and then act like the baddest man on the planet.

I dunno man. Since when did Boetsch act like the baddest mutha on the planet? We've only seen him fight once, and he does the right thing by the fans and the boss by stepping up and trying to prove himself by taking on an established fighter like Hamill. Its not as if he sits back and says 'i've knocked this boy out hard, and now i deserve a title shot.'

Personally, i loved Tim Boetsch in his last fight, and i hope to hell that it wasnt a fluke. If he fights like that against Hamill and continues on in that form, we could be seeing another serious contender in the LHW's.

When was the last time we saw a wrestler use pretty much everything but wrestling to beat a striker? Liddell vs Couture?
telnights
2/14/08 2:45:18AM
I really hope Boetsch wins. Everyone thats has had dealings with Hamill has said he tried or did take advantage of them and because of this a lot of big names in MMA want nothing to do with him. I'm a true believer in Karma!!
jiujitsufreak74
2/14/08 2:56:53AM

Posted by big_timmy

Posted by JBatch

I dunno man. Since when did Boetsch act like the baddest mutha on the planet? We've only seen him fight once, and he does the right thing by the fans and the boss by stepping up and trying to prove himself by taking on an established fighter like Hamill. Its not as if he sits back and says 'i've knocked this boy out hard, and now i deserve a title shot.'

Personally, i loved Tim Boetsch in his last fight, and i hope to hell that it wasnt a fluke. If he fights like that against Hamill and continues on in that form, we could be seeing another serious contender in the LHW's.

When was the last time we saw a wrestler use pretty much everything but wrestling to beat a striker? Liddell vs Couture?

correction: you have only seen him fight once. i saw his fight against crafty veteran Vladimir Matyushenko and he did very well considering the IFL's strict rules.

plus, i think he likes to brawl, and use his wrestling if he has to. in this case he is facing off against a better wrestler imo, and i think he knows that. he has more technical striking than Hamill, and if he doesn't get overwhelmed by the sheer strength of Hamill then he is in good shape and i think he will in fact be able to do this

with that said i completely understand how you are getting a little tentative in jumping on his wagon, and that is a sign of a true MMA fan, but i don't think his fight with Heat h was a joke. you are 100% justified in doubting Tim's talent, as he is relatively unknown, so i am not criticizing you but rather saying that i differ on this because by scrutinizing him you are doing the smarter option. but i have seen enough of him to think that he can handle Hamill.

and to answer your question, pretty much any of don frye's fights would be perfect examples of a wreslter using anything but striking to win.
xchickox
2/14/08 6:27:59AM
i like boetsch and wanna see him win but hamill's wrestling is way too good for him
jomatty
2/14/08 7:28:26AM
i dont know much about this guy but i certainly would like to see him do well. matt hamill may not be an absolute top tier guy or anything but there is no doubt that he is a tough guy who is a tough fight for a number of guys in the division. im looking forward to seeing this fight and if he gets by hamill then ill be ready to give him some serious props.
DCRage
2/14/08 8:22:43AM
Nice of Boetsch to step up again, but WAR HAMILL. Now I'm taking him to win, I had picked Bonnar before the injury in a close fight.
woodmo
2/14/08 10:13:38AM

This fight is a hell of an opportunity for Boetsch. He gets a hard as nails wrestler (supposedly a strong suit of Boetsch's) who also loves to bang. That being said, this should be one hell of a fight.

I respect Tim for taking the fight, and can't wait to see him in the octagon again. I understand everyone who is a sceptic of jumping on the bandwagon, like so many did with Alexander, but after watching the janitor fight, there is no doubt that Tim is a much more complete fighter than Houston.
MMA
2/14/08 10:20:47AM
His nickname is the Barbarian and he lives up to his ring name. The dude threw Heath like a rag doll. I would like to see some more barbaric action from this guy. This guy's hype is different from Houston's because he did not get some flash KO, he went in there and methodically picked apart Heath and dumped him on his head.
Rush
2/14/08 10:37:17AM
To the bandwagon.....

CactusBob
2/14/08 12:08:27PM
I think Boetsche is the real deal, and with some more time could easily enter the upper ranks of the LHW devision. That says a lot considering the stable of fighters in that devision.
waylon_o
2/14/08 12:32:10PM
This is one of those fights that I really hate to see either fighter lose. I love Matt Hamill because he's deaf and has conquered so much in his life and now he's a top 205er in the biggest MMA show on Earth. I love his story and have tremendous respect for the dude. How can you not? Tim Boetsch showed so much promise in his last fight, how can you not want to see him give another performance like last time and possibly become the next big thing? All I can hope for is a great fight from both fighters and may the best man win. I have no preferance on who wins this fight.
Kastro
2/14/08 1:40:21PM
Tim Boetsch definitely has my respect after the David Heath fight, I dont think anybody was expecting him to go in the octagon and pick him apart like that..

I have a feeling he is going to win again, but then again its Hamill we are talking about the guy is solid as they come and it wont be an easy fight for Boetsch... you never know though.

I love it when fighters come to the UFC and win impressively and sudden they get a lot of hype behind them, it creates an energy in the air that everybody catches onto, hopefully Boetsch can continue on his "barbaric" journey through the UFC rankings if he beats Hamill the way he beat David Heath then I am completely sold!
JBatch
2/14/08 2:41:29PM

Posted by big_timmy

Posted by JBatch

Its the wat the fighters handle themselves after the fight that pisses me off.Houston tanding over a crumpled Jardine yelling in his face. Boetsch saying the UFC has no choice but to bring him back. They get a UFC win in emphatic fashion and I know it is a fighters job to be intense and have confidence, but there is a line. Maybe thats just the way I am the only "less classy" fighter I like is Chris Leben and he was terrible back in the day but it maturing. SO when a guy like Houston Alexander or Boetsch come in as grown men I expect some class.
Lay_N_Pray
2/15/08 12:44:37PM
Maybe I am the only one but I didn't think a whole lot of Boetsch.

I'm not saying he can't be a good fighter, but Heath looked all whacked out in there and maybe it was cause Boetsch is that good, or maybe its cause the last time Heath stepped in the octagon he lost a gallon of blood.

I think it will be a close matchup with Hamill, but Boetsch just has the look of a guy who was meant to be midcard the rest of his life. I think if he got in there with a guy like Machida, Soko, Silva, Jardine he would get torn up.

This is all speculation on my part, but I'm not sure how is stamina would hold up against powerful and quick strikers.
CornishMMA
2/15/08 1:32:56PM
I picked Boetsch to win but he looked better than i expected, the thing is that in a stacked LHW division he will surely never be a contender, im a litte surpised at a Houston style bandwagon thing going on again but spose it stems from a crazy finish to a fight that maybe makes people think they are better than they are?
Jackelope
2/15/08 2:24:46PM

Posted by telnights

I really hope Boetsch wins. Everyone thats has had dealings with Hamill has said he tried or did take advantage of them and because of this a lot of big names in MMA want nothing to do with him. I'm a true believer in Karma!!

I agree. I think maybe you and I are the only people to see this. Everyone loves him because he's deaf and they feel sorry for him, yet all accounts suggest he's a bit of a shady character. Honestly I think he uses being deaf to his advantage in marketing himself. That's fine and all, but he gets no sympathy from me, he gets treated just like any other fighter out there.

Then again, he did come out to Born In The USA against Bisping in England, and that was awesome! haha
big_timmy
2/15/08 10:09:45PM
I've only seen 2 Matt Hammil fights, and one was against Bisping. I havent seen much of matt, but after his fight in England, i felt a little sorry for him, not because he was deaf, but because he put in a top effort and was jibbed by one of the worst decisions i've ever seen.
Dastardly1
2/17/08 5:29:18PM
Boetsch is the new version of Sakara. steps up when ever the phone rings from the UFC,willing to go.
GraMMA
2/17/08 5:53:00PM
Boetsch went the distance with Vlad and put a beatdown on Heath so he's proven he's a tough guy and belongs in UFC.But I don't think he'll be able to hang with the hammer.Hamill wasn't even 100% against Bisping and still won imo.I'm glad this will be on the maincard and is a fight I look forward to.Hamill will prove to be the real deal when he finishes this guy.
bls1919
2/18/08 5:22:15PM
WAR Boetesch!! This guy is great, i love his attitude. I think it will be a better fioght than the last one, a harder one for Tim to win but I think he will.