I dont get the UFC/ dana white's logic

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » I dont get the UFC/ dana white's logic
MFOTHER
12/1/08 2:25:48PM
With the down fall of elitexc, and affliction and others losing money, why would the ufc cut some "big" or recognizable names ie. verdum, gurgel, sokojou etc. Even as far as wiling to let all of aka go (most of which could have been resigned by other orgs immediately) i know that specific issue was mostly dana,according to aka and i dont know who is making the other cuts, but im sure they need white's approval.
Does it cost them money just to keep a fighter on the roster? i thought most fighters get paid when they fight? If they just didnt book them for a fight for a few months couldn't they cut them later on?

My point is with mma organizatins crumbing in 08 IFL, elite xc, the ceo (or whatever) of afflicitons legal problemsdream's payment issues why not wait and see if the few remaining ones (Strikeforce, maybe affliction if the jan card does well) are even still arond in a few months.

If they cut them now, they could, and have be signed by their competition and help them stay afloat.

So does dana white/ ufc

A) really that confident that his competition will be gone soon enough no matter what
B) Doesnt think the fighters he is cutting could save them, but would do anything to save an anderson and a GSP
C) Really care about mma and knows if he isnt going to use a fighter, doesnt want to keep them tied up in a contract

im sure its more complicated than any of those, but i cant figure it out.

edit:i know they cuts have been talked about in a few threads, but i didnt read anything about it helping other organizations
DCRage
12/1/08 2:30:42PM
Money likely is part of it, but remember UFC is technically MMA's major leagues. A lot of these guys don't have the best records and it's no secret that, unless you draw crowds and attention to your fights like Chuck Liddell or Wanderlei Silva, you'd better be over .500 or you're gone. Dana doesn't want guys who just go through the motions to get a paycheck or who aren't among the best in the world and can't prove it.
MFOTHER
12/1/08 2:36:29PM
thats what i was thinking, but a baseball player for example gets paid by the season not they game (i assume) so why doesnt dana just not book them to fight for a few months and see where the other organizations are at?
DCRage
12/1/08 2:38:42PM
They're actually paid, I think, weekly or every 2 weeks. As for not booking them for months, that only may work when a guy gets a title fight coming up, but after a while guys can get impatient waiting and may want to fight again or get another fight in the interim, much like KenFlo's fight against Joe Daddy.
ohiostate1016
12/1/08 3:35:29PM

Posted by MFOTHER

thats what i was thinking, but a baseball player for example gets paid by the season not they game (i assume) so why doesnt dana just not book them to fight for a few months and see where the other organizations are at?

Because Internet Retards (i.e. You, Me, and Us) will go on and on and on and on about a guy if he isn't fighting and is under contract. Remember one Andrei Arlovski? Enough said.

Dana needs to keep his roster at the highest level possible, because he is running the best organization in the world. Dana would never be dumb enough to cut an established UFC guy, whether or not they are winning. But a guy who came from a different org (Werdum) who isn't winning in the UFC or isn't having exciting fights is definitely expendible. Maybe Dana is thinking that if Affliction or Strikeforce does pick this guy up that they'll be in the same boat he was: with a fighter who can't beat top talent and who isn't exciting. So he's in the driver's seat here.
cowcatcher
12/1/08 3:39:18PM
ive learned to just sit back and let dana do his thing without trying to understand it or question it because at the end of the day just about everything he does works out for him and the ufc.
higdon10
12/1/08 4:34:08PM

Posted by MFOTHER

So does dana white/ ufc

A) really that confident that his competition will be gone soon enough no matter what
B) Doesnt think the fighters he is cutting could save them, but would do anything to save an anderson and a GSP
C) Really care about mma and knows if he isnt going to use a fighter, doesnt want to keep them tied up in a contract

A. Nobody will be able to compete.
soundboy1
12/2/08 11:55:02AM

Posted by cowcatcher

ive learned to just sit back and let dana do his thing without trying to understand it or question it because at the end of the day just about everything he does works out for him and the ufc.

This whole thread is just off. Dana white has never heard of or considered using logic.I would say logic is the opposite of how they conduct business.We the fans are subject to the whims of one man. That's why I will buy afflictions show but would never buy a UFC.
breakdown5
12/2/08 1:50:27PM
Guys like Werdum and Soko are talented fighters that have less than stellar performances/records in the UFC. I believe Soko was making 40g's to show/40g's to win, lost two fights (Cane and Machida) and only beat Nakamura in a less than inspiring performance.

Werdum has a similar deal. After their losses, the UFC probably asked them to take a pay cut and they refused. I just read somewhere that Werdum approached Affliction for their January show and they refused to pay what he asked for as well. These guys aren't the top of the division and are coming off of losses to lesser known fighters.

It doesn't make sense for the UFC to keep guys on the fringe of the top ten that are getting paid triple/quadruple what the fighters from the reality show are making, only to be outperformed by fighters that are paid considerably less. Losing to a fighter who gets paid half as much as you doesn't go far as bargaining points when looking for a raise, or even keeping their current pay scale.
JimiMak
12/3/08 5:15:21PM
Cuz now they're the guys that got cut and couldn't hack the UFC (to average fans). It makes them look bad and second rate to be heavily marketing UFC washouts.**

**That's how I think they're looking at it, not saying I agree.
higdon10
12/3/08 7:01:38PM

Posted by JimiMak

Cuz now they're the guys that got cut and couldn't hack the UFC (to average fans). It makes them look bad and second rate to be heavily marketing UFC washouts.**

**That's how I think they're looking at it, not saying I agree.

Not everyone can fight for the UFC. If you arent preforming to the best of your abilities, you could be in trouble. Everyone pushes the UFC to sign big free agents, and by doing that they have to scrap some current fighters. There is only room for so many fighters, so when new guys come in others have to go.