Why is Dong an underdog?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why is Dong an underdog?
loller90278
6/11/08 6:39:23PM
Dong is fighting Gegard at dream 4 this weekend and i was making my picks and i saw that the donger is an underdog! i've been trying to figure this out, but the only logical explanation i can come up with is that people are picking gegard just because he beat kang.

wolfman
6/11/08 6:55:04PM
Bingo, pretty much nailed it and I am sure people look at Dong's "poor" record(Not poor if you look at who he's faced, losses were when he was a neophyte of the sport). There's a lot of hype surrounding Gegard right now and not many people have heard of Yoon. I personally think Gegard is a little overrated, his stand up is sloppy and he has poor takedown defense. Also, he was getting owned by Kang on the feet and then Kang virtually walked right into a triangle. It was an impressive win, but that's not the first time Kang's been subbed... I will say that Gegard has good power and his ground game is underrated and he is still young.

Yoon on the other hand is a beast on the ground and his stand up has improved tremendously. He has fought the better competition of the two in his short career and even in his losses he has looked impressive. People forget that Yoon was thrown to the wolves early in his career and since he has gained more experience, he is much improved and is the dark horse of the tournament. Yoon fought better stand up fighters in Manhoef and Zelg and finished them both with relative ease. Personally, I see they same thing happening this weekend. Dong by Dongbar!!!! WAR Dong!!!!!

I'm not counting out Gegard, but Yoon has impressed me more and think that Yoon should be the favorite. I hope we don't jinx Dong.
holt8081
6/11/08 7:06:03PM
yes typically the Dong is under the dog
hotrodttt
6/11/08 7:17:02PM
Dude, It's just an Extra 2 Points in our Score, Dong's going to take him down, mount him, then take his back and then get the Dongbar. All Dong has to do is stay away from that Right Hand.
hotrodttt
6/11/08 7:23:12PM

Posted by wolfman

Bingo, pretty much nailed it and I am sure people look at Dong's "poor" record(Not poor if you look at who he's faced, losses were when he was a neophyte of the sport). There's a lot of hype surrounding Gegard right now and not many people have heard of Yoon. I personally think Gegard is a little overrated, his stand up is sloppy and he has poor takedown defense. Also, he was getting owned by Kang on the feet and then Kang virtually walked right into a triangle. It was an impressive win, but that's not the first time Kang's been subbed... I will say that Gegard has good power and his ground game is underrated and he is still young.

Yoon on the other hand is a beast on the ground and his stand up has improved tremendously. He has fought the better competition of the two in his short career and even in his losses he has looked impressive. People forget that Yoon was thrown to the wolves early in his career and since he has gained more experience, he is much improved and is the dark horse of the tournament . Yoon fought better stand up fighters in Manhoef and Zelg and finished them both with relative ease. Personally, I see they same thing happening this weekend. Dong by Dongbar!!!! WAR Dong!!!!!

I'm not counting out Gegard, but Yoon has impressed me more and think that Yoon should be the favorite. I hope we don't jinx Dong.

I picked Dong to Win the whole Tournament and people thought I was crazy, the only person I think that would give Dong a problem is Saku's Catch Wrestling and unstoppable Single Leg.
jiujitsufreak74
6/11/08 7:26:53PM
while i think he has a great chance of winning and that this is very close for me to call i am going with Gregard. i had picked Gregard to win the tournament from the beginning and i'm sticking with him. he has proven that he can beat judoka in that he KOed Takimoto, a judoka who was able to beat Dong. he has KO power and is dangerous off his back. he has an all around MMA game and is dangerous anywhere the fight goes. i originally had it a UD since Dong is hard to put away, but his fight with Takimoto kind of makes me want to pick KO. he broke the man's eye socket for crying out loud. i think Gregard keeps it standing and finds victory.

in my mind it is 60/40 Gregard.

P.S. with the odds i am betting on Dong...he is just too good to pass up on.
wolfman
6/11/08 7:35:08PM
hotrodttt: Yeah, I also like Dong to go all the way. He has a great shot. Yet, I think Jacare is his biggest challenge as I think Saku is past his prime. Yet, you could turn out to be right.

JJfreak: Good points, but mind you when Yoon lost to Takimoto that was only his second MMA fight. Also, I think Yoon's takedowns will prove to be too much for Gegard. He has some serious takedowns and will work for that Dongbar and he will get it. Like hotrodttt said, he just needs to stay away from that right hand and get the fight to the ground and he'll win by submission or decision.
jiujitsufreak74
6/11/08 7:40:00PM
you know what...i just re-watched the Gregard vs Gono fight. i'm switching it to the Dong and i'll drink the kool aid your dishing out. Dong by armbar makes sense and you are right about the takedowns. i am a fan of Gregard but in a fight this close always go with the underdog.
wolfman
6/11/08 7:49:50PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

you know what...i just re-watched the Gregard vs Gono fight. i'm switching it to the Dong and i'll drink the kool aid your dishing out. Dong by armbar makes sense and you are right about the takedowns. i am a fan of Gregard but in a fight this close always go with the underdog.

LOL Yeah, this Dong flavored kool aid tastes GRE.....Wait nevermind.

Yeah, this fight is closer than what the site suggests and Yoon is a warrior. The guy is all heart, I hope he wins! Anyways, I think you're making a good decision, but don't kill me if I turn out wrong.
grappler0000
6/11/08 7:56:53PM

Posted by wolfman

I nearly fell off the couch
jiujitsufreak74
6/11/08 8:00:34PM

Posted by wolfman

Yeah, this fight is closer than what the site suggests and Yoon is a warrior. The guy is all heart, I hope he wins! Anyways, I think you're making a good decision, but don't kill me if I turn out wrong.

i won't. if he loses it is as much my fault as it is yours. besides after a closer look at my picks (which i usually make 3 drafts) i most likely would have changed it for the underdog bonus.

btw, the kool aid comment had me
ncordless
6/11/08 8:32:28PM
I thought Dongbars were illegal
wolfman
6/11/08 8:37:36PM

i won't. if he loses it is as much my fault as it is yours. besides after a closer look at my picks (which i usually make 3 drafts) i most likely would have changed it for the underdog bonus.

btw, the kool aid comment had me

I see what you mean, I also side with the underdog when they should not really be considered the underdog. The recent underdog wins are good examples, Brown over Curran and Aldo over Pequeno were easy bonus points.
Rush
6/11/08 8:53:38PM

Posted by hotrodttt

All Dong has to do is stay away from that Right Hand.

Will you stop worrying Frankie I've got it under control. You sound like my mother. Man alive

hotrodttt
6/11/08 9:06:05PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by hotrodttt

All Dong has to do is stay away from that Right Hand.

Will you stop worrying Frankie I've got it under control. You sound like my mother. Man alive

I don't get it
Rush
6/11/08 9:17:20PM
Try googling it.

I guess you're too young.
hotrodttt
6/11/08 10:16:53PM

Posted by Rush

Try googling it.

I guess you're too young.

Bloodsport, I like the 2nd Bloodsport better than the 1st though
Rush
6/11/08 10:33:00PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Bloodsport

For some reason when I read "stay away from his right hand" I pictured van Damme (Frankie) saying "stay away from his right leg"

and I think you're a minority fan of bloodsport II.
89vision
6/12/08 2:02:58PM
dong can pull it off, all 8 of his fights have been against good guys

manhoef is gonna win the tourney tho
Lockfrow
6/13/08 12:15:14AM
Always bet on Dong.
Pookie
6/13/08 1:04:29AM

Posted by Lockfrow

Always bet on Dong.

Always.

You'll win half the time but you will always get 4-1 odds.
mach
6/13/08 5:54:38AM
I've got the Donger by rd 2 dongbar
jiujitsufreak74
6/14/08 7:16:00PM
staying with Yoon...i re-watched his fight with Melvin and that dude takes a lot of punishment. i like judokas and i think he will win a UD now.
mach
6/15/08 6:19:32PM

Posted by mach

I've got the Donger by rd 2 dongbar

look at how dumb i am