Donald Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz targeted for UFC 141 in Las Vegas

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Donald Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz targeted for UFC 141 in Las Vegas
Next Page »
Budgellism
10/30/11 10:48:03PM
A clash of hard-swinging lightweights is likely headed to the UFC's year-end show.

Multiple sources close to the event today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Donald Cerrone (17-3 MMA 4-0 UFC) and Nate Diaz (14-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 141.

UFC 141 takes place Dec. 30 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Cerrone vs. Diaz is expected to be part of the event's main card, which airs live on pay-per-view. As MMAjunkie.com first reported, the event also gets a two-fight "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV.

The latest UFC 141 card now includes:

Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
Donald Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz
Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Sean Pierson
T.J. Grant vs. Jacob Volkmann
Budgellism
10/30/11 10:50:38PM
Good fight. I'm glad to see Cerrone in there in December, like he asked. This is another name that would look excellent on his resume.
Twenty20Dollars
10/30/11 10:51:48PM
That'll be a good scrap.
Poor_Franklin
10/30/11 10:57:13PM
i like Cerrone's chances
TeamDEY
10/30/11 11:01:18PM
Cerrone will smash Diaz
Kpro
10/30/11 11:02:16PM
I've always wanted to see this fight
Bubbles
10/30/11 11:02:17PM
Cerrone should be fighting top 10ish guys. Sam Stout should be good for then, why not make that? i think Cerrone will win this fairly easily
NaturalBornKiller92
10/30/11 11:06:07PM
The possibility of going 5-0 in one year is astounding and very attainable for Cerrone.
grappler0000
10/30/11 11:23:54PM
My pants just got a little tighter.
SamPan
10/30/11 11:25:19PM
Winner of this should get the winner of Lauzon-Pettis
sbulldavid
10/30/11 11:35:04PM
I think this is an easy fight for Cerrone but Diaz could surprise us if he can pressure Cowboy early
hashyandy4
10/31/11 12:10:02AM
Luv this fight!! Leanin toward Cerrone
tcunningham
10/31/11 12:18:06AM
good card. war cerrone and war overeem (more cause im tired of lesnar)
prophecy033
10/31/11 12:20:08AM
oooooooh, me like
Chael_Sonnen
10/31/11 12:40:32AM

Posted by grappler0000

My pants just got a little tighter.

Poor Nate
DeadHead988
10/31/11 1:10:35AM
Another step down in competition. Just give him a top 10 already!
Jride
10/31/11 1:26:47AM
Nate will find a way to beat him.
TheBlackChip
10/31/11 3:04:14AM
This fight is going to be SICK. Seriously, I highly expect Diaz to get dropped and submitted or finished via TKO in similar fashion to Siver. IF it were to go to the distance, it would no doubt be a war. Either way I'm not missing this fight. If Cerrone wins he'll be 5-0 in UFC with 4 finishes, one of the best years ever!
pmoney
10/31/11 8:26:43AM
First of all, I'm sorry, but I've had a terrible day, and it's been a while since P$ flew off the handle and talked some shit. Where better to do so than a Diaz thread? The fact is, for whatever reason, I got genuinely pissed off when I read some of posts in this thread. Not just this thread, but the write-ups and comments for this news article on other websites.

First, let me say, I love watching Cerrone fight. I don't like that he's been busted for PED's and has a perception as a dirty fighter. However, It seems like everyone (this site and others) who said Gomi would KO Diaz is back to throw Nate under the bus again. And it pisses me the fuck off. Most of these comments are by the same people who also said Nick Diaz would get finished by Daley and Penn and Noons etc.

Who the FUCK has Donald Cerrone beat? Oh I forgot, there's scores of top tier opponents he has defeated! How about Jamie Varner? Well, that was after he lost to Varner. Oh, and he did beat Chris Horodecki! Let's face it, Siver and Oliveira are the biggest names Cerrone has faced, and they are both way over-hyped in my opinion. Good, but over-hyped.

Diaz has fought and beat bigger names and tougher fighters. How about Gray Maynard? It may not be on his record, but you can watch it on Ultimate Fighter.com. He's beaten Melvin Guillard, Marcus Davis, Josh Neer, Takanori Gomi.... Oh and Nate's never been knocked out. So I love hearing that Cerrone, who has 1 TKO victory in his MMA career is going to knock him out.

And the fight night awards? Nate has seven, including five in a row at one point. His last perfornance was typical Nate, he beat the fucking piss out of Gomi, just like the haters said he wouldn't, then he mercifully tapped Gomi out. It earned him Submission of the Night.

In the end, here's my point: Cerrone is a good fighter. Nathan Diaz is as well. Cerrone has been looking better than ever, and he very well could win the fight. Same could be said for Nathan, based on his last showing. Cerrone is well rounded for sure. But so is Nate. And saying this will be an easy fight for Cerrone, or he's a step down from Siver, is wildly inaccurate.

Keep on hating
DeadHead988
10/31/11 8:46:04AM

Posted by pmoney

First of all, I'm sorry, but I've had a terrible day, and it's been a while since P$ flew off the handle and talked some shit. Where better to do so than a Diaz thread? The fact is, for whatever reason, I got genuinely pissed off when I read some of posts in this thread. Not just this thread, but the write-ups and comments for this news article on other websites.

First, let me say, I love watching Cerrone fight. I don't like that he's been busted for PED's and has a perception as a dirty fighter. However, It seems like everyone (this site and others) who said Gomi would KO Diaz is back to throw Nate under the bus again. And it pisses me the fuck off. Most of these comments are by the same people who also said Nick Diaz would get finished by Daley and Penn and Noons etc.

Who the FUCK has Donald Cerrone beat? Oh I forgot, there's scores of top tier opponents he has defeated! How about Jamie Varner? Well, that was after he lost to Varner. Oh, and he did beat Chris Horodecki! Let's face it, Siver and Oliveira are the biggest names Cerrone has faced, and they are both way over-hyped in my opinion. Good, but over-hyped.

Diaz has fought and beat bigger names and tougher fighters. How about Gray Maynard? It may not be on his record, but you can watch it on Ultimate Fighter.com. He's beaten Melvin Guillard, Marcus Davis, Josh Neer, Takanori Gomi.... Oh and Nate's never been knocked out. So I love hearing that Cerrone, who has 1 TKO victory in his MMA career is going to knock him out.

And the fight night awards? Nate has seven, including five in a row at one point. His last perfornance was typical Nate, he beat the fucking piss out of Gomi, just like the haters said he wouldn't, then he mercifully tapped Gomi out. It earned him Submission of the Night.

In the end, here's my point: Cerrone is a good fighter. Nathan Diaz is as well. Cerrone has been looking better than ever, and he very well could win the fight. Same could be said for Nathan, based on his last showing. Cerrone is well rounded for sure. But so is Nate. And saying this will be an easy fight for Cerrone, or he's a step down from Siver, is wildly inaccurate.

Keep on hating

Sounds like an avatar bet
Chael_Sonnen
10/31/11 8:57:23AM

Posted by Jride

Nate will find a way to beat him.

Only in a video game.
BigBadAl
10/31/11 8:59:20AM

Posted by pmoney

Keep on hating

I do rate Nate above Siver and he looked great in his last fight. You are however a little biased.
Chael_Sonnen
10/31/11 9:03:54AM

Posted by pmoney

Keep on hating

I see this fight going very similar to the one sided beatdowns Nathan received from MacDonald & Kim

Cowboy ba-beee!!!
pmoney
10/31/11 9:13:06AM
DeadHead - You know it's on!!

BigBadAl - I am admittedly quite biased towards the Diaz brothers, this is true. Which is partially the nature of my rant, to defend them with the powers of my extreme bias!

Chael - Macdonald put the beating on Nate, that is undeniable. But KIM? C'mon Chael! The significant strikes and the offense came from Nate, from all positions. Kim landed approximately two significant strikes in that fight, mixed in with some positional stalling. That's just my opinion though!
SmileR
10/31/11 9:21:26AM
Evan Tanners BEARD!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
gartface
10/31/11 10:06:55AM

Posted by pmoney

Keep on hating

Kurt Pellegrino knocked Nate Diaz out when he had him in the crucifix position. Watch Diaz's body go limp during that instance in the fight.

We all saw how good Marcus Davis was. Takanori Gomi back in 2006 would have been a great win. Melvin Guillard, I can give you that, but I will point out that he has a high propensity for shitting the bed in big game situations. Josh Neer I would say isn't as great on the big stage.

And Gray Maynard...really...you want to point out that it took Cerrone two times to beat Varner. I'd be more inclined to say that it's more impressive to overcome, than to be overcome the way Nate was in his second fight with Maynard. Bit of a double standard, eh?

Cerrone's competition hasn't been stellar, but that's not by his own doing. He's done nothing but win since joining the UFC, and the UFC has just been giving him baby steps, though I will say that Denis Siver is a tough ass fight for anybody at 155. Oliveira was, and still is, one of the hottest prospects in the UFC, and he ran roughshod over him.

Nate has been very impressive when he isn't facing a wrestler, or judo player(DHK). He has great hands. He has good submissions. He has a way of taunting his opposition into making dumb moves.Guess who is slick in submissions, has great, varied stand-up, and a new found love for taking fighters down? Oh, Nate Diaz's next opponent, Donald Cerrone. That's who.

And to say that Nate isn't a step down from Denis Siver is entirely disrespectful to Siver, who had won 4 straight fights prior to his bout with Cerrone. Diaz? Oh he's an impressive 2-2 in his last four(1-2 in his last three).
emfleek
10/31/11 10:36:51AM
War Nate! INSERT EXTREME, OVER-THE-TOP, BLATANT FIGHTER BASHING HERE!!!

kingsmasher
10/31/11 10:56:47AM
I was thinking this would be good for Cerrone but Cerrone shoudl win this easily cause Diaz cant wrestle...Give Cerrone a wrestler...
kingsmasher
10/31/11 11:00:26AM
I was thinking of Cerrone and Lauzon...
Hendo67
10/31/11 11:17:16AM
Cerrone, 30-27...

All day.
Pages: [1] 2 3