Donald Cerrone vs. Melvin Guillard set for UFC 150 co-main event in Denver

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Donald Cerrone vs. Melvin Guillard set for UFC 150 co-main event in Denver
DrivenDavies15
7/13/12 6:02:22PM
Donald Cerrone wanted a fight in Denver, and he shall have it – against a former teammate.

"Cowboy," who was born in nearby Colorado Springs, next month will fight Melvin Guillard at UFC 150 in a lightweight bout between two recent title contenders. UFC officials on Friday announced the fight booking, which will serve as the co-main event of the card.

UFC 150 takes place Aug. 11 at Denver's Pepsi Center and features a main event lightweight title fight between champion Benson Henderson and former champ Frankie Edgar, a rematch from their UFC 144 main event. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view, while FX and Facebook are expected to carry the prelims.

link
FastKnockout
7/13/12 6:07:15PM
Called it.
SpiderSilva
7/13/12 6:15:51PM
About fucking time. I knew cowboy was in the co main but not against who. This makes me happy.
emfleek
7/13/12 6:20:27PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

About fucking time. I knew cowboy was in the co main but not against who. This makes me happy.

As of yesterday, he didn't know either. I replied to his Tweet suggesting Guillard.

I'm convinced I at least played some sort of role in booking this fight.

I REFUSE TO BELIEVE OTHERWISE DAMNIT

Bubbles
7/13/12 6:26:04PM
Cerrone RNC. is there really any other outcome?
sparky
7/13/12 6:57:37PM

Posted by Bubbles

Cerrone Guillotine
MALICE
7/13/12 6:58:46PM
If Cerrone shows up the way he did against Diaz, I'll go with Guillard. If the other Cerrone shows up, I'll go with Cerrone.
Chael_Sonnen
7/13/12 7:05:49PM

Posted by MALICE

If Cerrone shows up the way he did against Diaz, I'll go with Guillard. If the other Cerrone shows up, I'll go with Cerrone.

Before Diaz fight - - got kicked in the face by one of his horses
Before Stephens fight - - his intestines moved while grappling

Either one will crush Melvin and his inflated record.
jjeans
7/13/12 7:29:22PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by MALICE

I rarely ever make excuses for fighters however I think Cerrone's downfall in the Diaz fight was, the fact Diaz was in Cerrone's head. Cerrone didn't want to go in there to compete in a MMA match with him, he went in there to beat the sh*t into him and his greg jackson gameplan went out the window as a result. He got roped up in the situation and got beaten on in the first round as a result but his pride was on the line.

Finally however in the third round he realised if he wanted to beat a Diaz brother he couldn't beat up a Diaz brother he could only really get a win, so started using leg kicks etc. As Condit demonstrated the same tactic to beat Nick Diaz.

Greg Jacksons gameplan to beat the Diaz brothers seemed the same between Condit and Cerrone, it's just one was caught up in the fight and the smack talk and the other executed it.
shaneTpain
7/13/12 7:44:19PM
Anyone else wanna see Guillard flatten Cowboy into a cow patty?
Twenty20Dollars
7/13/12 7:50:32PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by Bubbles

Cerrone Guillotine

This.
ghandikush
7/13/12 7:52:06PM

Posted by MALICE

The Cerrone that fought diaz was on his fifth fight in 12 months.
Pookie
7/13/12 7:59:46PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by MALICE

I rarely ever make excuses for fighters however I think Cerrone's downfall in the Diaz fight was, the fact Diaz was in Cerrone's head. Cerrone didn't want to go in there to compete in a MMA match with him, he went in there to beat the sh*t into him and his greg jackson gameplan went out the window as a result. He got roped up in the situation and got beaten on in the first round as a result but his pride was on the line.

Finally however in the third round he realised if he wanted to beat a Diaz brother he couldn't beat up a Diaz brother he could only really get a win, so started using leg kicks etc. As Condit demonstrated the same tactic to beat Nick Diaz.

Greg Jacksons gameplan to beat the Diaz brothers seemed the same between Condit and Cerrone, it's just one was caught up in the fight and the smack talk and the other executed it.

Cerrone has a terrible style to fight someone who can pressure him outside his own range. I think 10/10 times, Diaz give Cerrone the exact same problems from outside his range.
infestructure
7/13/12 8:27:45PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by MALICE

Cerrone has a terrible style to fight someone who can pressure him outside his own range. I think 10/10 times, Diaz give Cerrone the exact same problems from outside his range.

Same could probably be said for Condit. Both guys can throw combos, but they don't wanna get caught in a brawl, which is what the Diaz brothers love.

I picked Cerrone to win, and probably would again. I agree that Nate was inside his head, but he wouldn't let that happen again. EDIT: Nate's game has been advancing in leaps and bounds, so maybe I wouldn't pick Cerrone.

I think Cerrone will go back to his natural style VS Guillard, Muay Thai mixed in with some ground game beats winging right hands all day.
TeamDEY
7/13/12 8:42:56PM
Good fight. I think Cerrone takes this one.
Budgellism
7/13/12 9:49:41PM
I can't help but think this is a step down from where Cerrone should be fighting next but at the same time this is a sick fight. Cerrone should win this by submission. I guess he catches Guillard with a head kick and jumps on his back for the rnc finish. That or he outpoints him in a great striking battle.
ghandikush
7/14/12 12:19:06AM

Posted by Budgellism

I can't help but think this is a step down from where Cerrone should be fighting next but at the same time this is a sick fight. Cerrone should win this by submission. I guess he catches Guillard with a head kick and jumps on his back for the rnc finish. That or he outpoints him in a great striking battle.

Step down in talent but Guillard gets a lot of build up from the UFC, he's like a Sotiropolous or Bisping.
george112
7/14/12 12:22:44AM
If guillard is smart he should get the win.

When I say be smart I mean dont stay on the ground AT ALL.

Guillard is strong enough imo to be able to physically keep cerrone off of him. I also think he has a pretty good shot at taking this by tko
ghandikush
7/14/12 12:25:09AM

Posted by george112

Guillard is strong enough imo to be able to physically keep cerrone off of him. I also think he has a pretty good shot at taking this by tko

If Guillard outstrikes Cerrone and drops him then he still has to follow cerrone to the ground to finish.
george112
7/14/12 12:29:13AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by george112

If Guillard outstrikes Cerrone and drops him then he still has to follow cerrone to the ground to finish.

Obviously.

But trying to finish someone when they are hurt on the ground is a lot different then going to the ground and trying to use GnP

Guillard has a really bad habit of getting subbed
Goatenstein
7/14/12 12:33:44AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by MALICE

The Cerrone that fought diaz was on his fifth fight in 12 months.

The Cerrone that fought Diaz got owned by Diaz. Excuses are pathetic.
frizzzlecake
7/14/12 1:48:44AM
I think Melvin takes it, Cerrone is a head case and being in his home town against another athletic striker, he chokes like usual.

I hope you prove me wrong cowboy!