To those of you that don't pick ALL fights for a given event...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » To those of you that don't pick ALL fights for a given event...
emfleek
10/27/08 4:42:55PM
What exactly is your reasoning behind this?

I've been getting quite a few Camp Invitation requests lately and part of the research I do before sending an invitation involves looking at track records. I've noticed that quite a few people only pick a few fights per event.

My question is why?

I know we (some/most) all have forgotten to get our picks in for a given event but some of these people only pick 3 or 4 fights per event. I guess I just don't see the point in playing the game if you're not going to fully participate.
Twenty20Dollars
10/27/08 4:46:51PM
the only reason i could think is that when new fights are formed because someone is injuried.

But i've always made all my picks
emfleek
10/27/08 4:48:53PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

the only reason i could think is that when new fights are formed because someone is injuried.

That's understandable but it doesn't explain the track record of some people picking ONLY 3 or 4 fights for every event. They do it so often, it seems as though they're doing it on purpose.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/27/08 4:56:50PM
im sure there is some reasoning behind it, i know a couple peeps who only get on this site bc of the strict rules & forum environment, those people might not care about points

are there any Premium Members that dont make their picks regularly?
emfleek
10/27/08 4:57:57PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

are there any Premium Members that dont make their picks regularly?

No clue. I would certainly hope not.
Aaronno9
10/27/08 4:58:00PM
To make it look like they have a perfect record. Like if you only pick 2 dead certs on every card, and providing not many dos santos werdums happen, your record will show as like 20-0 or whatever. Looks good at first, till you realise its 20-0 out of about 200 fights.
emfleek
10/27/08 4:59:07PM

Posted by Aaronno9

To make it look like they have a perfect record. Like if you only pick 2 dead certs on every card, and providing not many dos santos werdums happen, your record will show as like 20-0 or whatever. Looks good at first, till you realise its 20-0 out of about 200 fights.

Right and it's so easy for someone else to figure that out so I don't understand the reasoning behind that, either.

It's a lose/lose situation.
tuvok500
10/27/08 5:02:25PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

That's understandable but it doesn't explain the track record of some people picking ONLY 3 or 4 fights for every event. They do it so often, it seems as though they're doing it on purpose.

because some peoples only look at the % record and by not picking tuff call fights their % record is higher. ( well only in theory )
Everybody should know that by doing that you destroy your chance of winning the prize for most point per event and per season and if you are in a team you simply " SABOTAGING " the effort of the rest of the team by dropping the point avg. of your team.
Some will argue that you help the team with your higher % record however i never saw a guy having a huge % record by doing that.

Example 1 : you pick 10 fights, you finish 7 and 3 so you have a 70% record

Example 2 : you pick only 3 fights, you finish 2 and 1 so you have a 66.666% record.

So, picking less fights to try to improve your record is not working because losing 1 fight have a bigger impact on your record than the same 1 fight on the record of a guy who pick all the fights.

ohiostate1016
10/27/08 5:04:07PM
If you ask me, people take this fight way too seriously. And that explains why. The only thing is that they will never contend for points titles or overall titles and will probably not get very much respect.

Only picking 2 or 3 fights to make your record look good on a message board is very, very sad. Get a life people.
Aaronno9
10/27/08 5:09:58PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

If you ask me, people take this fight way too seriously. And that explains why. The only thing is that they will never contend for points titles or overall titles and will probably not get very much respect.

Only picking 2 or 3 fights to make your record look good on a message board is very, very sad. Get a life people.

Takes the fun out of it to. It might seem a little sad in itself, but i always feel a little proud when i check my fight companion and see ive hit a fight to the tee. Makes you research the fighters you dont know to which can lead to finding some good fights you never saw before, or just realising it might be worth sticking a small wager on the unheard of dog, which is how i scored 5k on santos in the last event
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/27/08 5:13:17PM
[

i think whoever is not picking all fights must be non-competitive

its the only "logical" explanation i can think of
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/27/08 5:17:54PM
I think some people(the ones who have limited knowledge of the sport) are afraid to get their picks wrong, so they chose to only pick "safe" picks . I am baffled by this choice also and i think they should stick to sherdog. I personally dont take a cherry pickers opinion as seriously as some 1 who makes all picks for each fight card. Now hopefully some 1 who cherry picks will man up and give their opinion on it as everyone above me picks all the fights also .
tuvok500
10/27/08 5:42:50PM
I remember that we suggested on a similar post that a no pick = a lost

so if you pick 3 fights on lets say 10 total, your best score can only be 3 win and 7 loses. so 30% record !!!

pretty much the best way to resolve the problem.

bullettdodger
10/27/08 6:55:42PM
Yeah i don't understand why people purposely don't pick fights, perhaps because they simply do not know who is going to win, those however are my favorite fights to pick as it puts spice in the discussion and debate left or right. I missed one pick at the begining of the event due to a last minute replacement and im still burnt up about it. So I guess you just have a major difference in opinion between the people like us who like to pick every fight and the people who care too much about a little number next to the side of their name
holt8081
10/27/08 6:58:42PM

Posted by emfleek

What exactly is your reasoning behind this?

I've been getting quite a few Camp Invitation requests lately and part of the research I do before sending an invitation involves looking at track records. I've noticed that quite a few people only pick a few fights per event.

My question is why?

I know we (some/most) all have forgotten to get our picks in for a given event but some of these people only pick 3 or 4 fights per event. I guess I just don't see the point in playing the game if you're not going to fully participate.

ya I dont know eather but Im about to drop a guy cuz out of the last 4 events 41 fights he has only picked 20 fights
dannyfrank
10/27/08 7:04:16PM
hell, i'll admit that im not the most knowledgeable about mma on this site, but i still make my picks. i dont know why people dont do this. like someone else already said, making all my picks has actually increased my mma knowledge by making me go research fighters and stuff
decken
10/27/08 8:37:18PM
The reason I do not pick all the fights for a given event is that I do not know all the fighters that well and I do not care about all the fights that much. Why pick a winner for a fight when you have no idea how they fight or who will win.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/27/08 9:09:11PM

Posted by tuvok500

I remember that we suggested on a similar post that a no pick = a lost

so if you pick 3 fights on lets say 10 total, your best score can only be 3 win and 7 loses. so 30% record !!!

pretty much the best way to resolve the problem.

that is a great idea .
Rush
10/27/08 9:35:52PM
There are a number of reasons, but these are the two that I see

1) Cherry picking - though it works against you because your pergentage fluctuates the most when there are fewer fights going into it. Cherry picking used to be an issue for fight camp rankings, but it is no longer an issue under the new rules. Also, cherry picking will never win you an event or season. The whole concept baffles me because most of the cherry pickers don't post on the forums and that was the only place where a good percentage or a fight camp badge allow you to show off.

2) The are not online as much as other people. It's not so much the case now, but before, only the main event fights were announced far in advance. They might log on and make the main event picks for a number of events and not log in for a long time.

Either way, I don't even look at peoples' record nor do I judge their MMA knowledge from it either.
jiujitsufreak74
10/27/08 9:39:00PM

Posted by Rush

There are a number of reasons, but these are the two that I see

1) Cherry picking - though it works against you because your pergentage fluctuates the most when there are fewer fights going into it. Cherry picking used to be an issue for fight camp rankings, but it is no longer an issue under the new rules. Also, cherry picking will never win you an event or season. The whole concept baffles me because most of the cherry pickers don't post on the forums and that was the only place where a good percentage or a fight camp badge allow you to show off.

2) The are not online as much as other people. It's not so much the case now, but before, only the main event fights were announced far in advance. They might log on and make the main event picks for a number of events and not log in for a long time.

Either way, I don't even look at peoples' record nor do I judge their MMA knowledge from it either.

says the guy with a 56% win percentage

(j/k Rush)
Kracker_Jap
10/27/08 9:43:38PM
I make all my picks and give out warnings to people in my camp that don't make all there's

if they don't listen I kick them out and tell them to apply with camp Sabotage Inc
tuvok500
10/27/08 9:53:30PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I make all my picks and give out warnings to people in my camp that don't make all there's

if they don't listen I kick them out and tell them to apply with camp Sabotage Inc

i was only booting them but as of now i will do like you and tell them to apply to sabotage inc !!! Well if it happen because my team always be a full pick team and very rarely a guy forget his picks, i think it happened like 5 or 6 times in 3 seasons !!

emfleek
10/28/08 9:54:01AM
LMAO

Send 'em my way, gentlemen. I do my research so it doesn't matter much to me.

I love sending out this reply, anyways:

Rush
10/28/08 10:50:59AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

says the guy with a 56% win percentage

(j/k Rush)

I know there is truth to every joke
zephead
10/28/08 11:30:00AM
I think I forgot to pick 2 cards.