Don't Look Down on Me!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Don't Look Down on Me!
Sledge23
11/5/08 9:00:57PM
Do people around you make fun of you or give you a hard time about being an MMA fan. Do they say crap like "MMA is stupid" "thats dumb who wants too see people punch eachother" "what a waste of time"

Iget it alot from people in every part of my life. It's getting old, I should just put them all in a triangle.

What about other people, Do yall get hassled for loving MMA?
Rush
11/5/08 9:03:53PM
Not hassled, but some people look at me as being "less educated" because of it. Keep in mind that I am a PhD student, so the people I speak of are typically arrogant academics.
dannyfrank
11/5/08 9:23:17PM
yeah, i get a lot of shit for liking mma too. it seems to be hated in the carolinas or something
DJDark41
11/5/08 9:29:11PM

Posted by Rush

Not hassled, but some people look at me as being "less educated" because of it. Keep in mind that I am a PhD student, so the people I speak of are typically arrogant academics.

Its funny, cause I'm a very bright kid, and when people hear that I'm into such a "brutal" sport, or a sport that is just "guys rolling around in underwear," I laugh at them and say, "Really now? What MMA fights have you watched? How many pay-per-views have you seen?" And quickly, they shut up. And I even have friends who I've become friends with through talking about MMA. I saw the kid wearing a Tapout shirt and started talking to him and now we're friends. But at first, most people try to debate the legitimacy of it as a sport, and then when they realize they have NO idea what they are talking about and they are totally cornered, they shut their mouths and leave.
nastshabast
11/5/08 11:16:34PM
I'm from Alberta and it seems like everyone is down with this shit.
Jackelope
11/5/08 11:29:24PM
It's still largely looked down upon, but I will say this-

Even before UFC/MMA was popular and even now that it is I have found that people involved with martial arts tend to be the smartest folks I've ever met. I sincerely mean that. I've had more intelligent philosophical conversations/debates with people I've met through martial arts than I have with people I've met through philosophy classes.

Honestly people that think it's brutal or that the fans are idiots just need to take a look around the forums here. Sure, you'll find some people that "aint too bright," but you'll also find very well spoken, passionate and educated folks.
Solidus
11/6/08 12:08:26AM
Well my experience isnt so much as people looking down on me but nobody around me knows anything about MMA and rarely has an opinion about it to begin with.

When people ask me if I'm into any sports I'll just say "not really but I'm a big fan of mixed martial arts." Then I'll get an "Oh" in response which means they dont know what I'm talking about, much less what MMA is. If I go on to mention the UFC they'll usually get it, but whats the point...why waste the energy if they dont even know what the sport itself is called.

I do have a friend who casually watches some fights, but just the high profile freak show fights like Brock or Kimbo. I did manage to convince him how ridiculous and overhyped Kimbo was at least. We've watched a couple fights together and everytime his wife is around she bitches about how much she hates the sport, so ive had no chance of getting my friend to become more of a fan.

higdon10
11/6/08 12:28:04AM
My Grandma thinks that it is a key reason I'll spend eternity in hell.
Ben_Hutch
11/6/08 7:46:55AM
I get a lot of stick for it, my mates call it 'gay' ect, it's f*cking annoying to be honest.
4u2nv
11/6/08 8:59:01AM
Most people can't respect what they don't know. Plus its the new popular thing for the youth and they give it a bad persona. I get it once in awhile but after i tell people that i do it as well i get a lot mixed reactions.
seanfu
11/6/08 1:34:42PM
It's really popular in where I live in Indiana. People love Chuck and Rampage GSP Anderson, but as soon as it hits the ground it's gay.

Plus since to other people guys like us are MMA dictionaries and I'm all about the weight room and a wrestler and stuff people always give me shit. They give me that pseudo "look its sean the badass look out for his kung fu kicks he'll hit you with a karate chop!!!" sarcastic stuff even though I'm not even agressive or anything.

But it's not looked down upon as a sport with the exception of the 35 and older guys.

EDIT- I should mount triangle one of em for embarrassment purposes but then it would be about a million times worse.
Darnok
11/6/08 2:28:59PM

Posted by nastshabast

I'm from Alberta and it seems like everyone is down with this shit.

Same thing in BC. I have MMA wallpapers up on my monitors all the time and half the time Clients will see them and start talking about the last fight they seen.
Kracker_Jap
11/6/08 2:40:01PM
Honestly i am a reel dick head in real life.....

Or at least I look like one or my demeanor lets people know not to give me S about anything ......

Really it nice
jiujitsufreak74
11/6/08 2:57:54PM
tbh, i'm admired for it

oh, and as for the educated thing...i'm the valedictorian (class ranks came in yesterday) of my high school so people usually don't doubt my intelligence
Aaronno9
11/6/08 3:00:03PM
Its like being between a rock and a hard place with the U.K scene i find. Its like, the majority of people think its gay, blah blah blah, and the hardcore fans seem to be a pretty tight community so unless your in with the right people your just a tapout noob.
Kracker_Jap
11/6/08 3:01:35PM
Another thing to point out is there are alot of camps here in western washington ......

Almost every area has a fighter that has been in the UFC from there are so even the old are into it
MMAcca
11/6/08 4:31:14PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Its like being between a rock and a hard place with the U.K scene i find. Its like, the majority of people think its gay, blah blah blah, and the hardcore fans seem to be a pretty tight community so unless your in with the right people your just a tapout noob.

That's pretty much how i would describe it too.

I get a lot of ''Why are they cuddling each other?'' from my mates........
Ben_Hutch
11/6/08 10:09:59PM

Posted by Aaronno9

The real insides of the UKMMA scene aren't a nice place, it's full of arrogant pricks and dickheads, trust me, you don't want to get into it.
higdon10
11/6/08 10:38:51PM

Posted by MMAcca
I get a lot of ''Why are they cuddling each other?'' from my mates........

I get the same kind of comments.