Is Don Frye Still Up To Par?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is Don Frye Still Up To Par?
MMA117
4/15/07 10:51:12PM
I question this a bit if you look over his last 10 fights theres about a 50% loss' Athough despite his compitition being very strong he has managed to stand up and throw w/ all of them. So i would say Nahh hes still up for it.

What do you think about this?
(sorry if its a rep. topic i searched and didnt see it)
Juggernaut
4/15/07 10:54:14PM
I like Frye but personally i think he's getting a little too old for the fight game now days. He's one of my favorite fighters of all time but I think he should just give it up professionally and go fight bareknuckle. hell, I'd love to see him take on Kimbo Slice lol
Svartorm
4/15/07 11:18:44PM
I think he should probably cut back on the fighting and concentrate on his IFL team. All things considered, he did very well against JT, and I think hes still got a few more left in him. I think he'd do better in the unified ruleset, as I'm sure the ten minute Pride rounds kill a guy his age.
MMA117
4/15/07 11:22:23PM
I love don in the ifl i went to the LA event and him and his team were there watching and he was talkin shit to them like "see thats how you fight..you bunch of pussies"!
Svartorm
4/15/07 11:25:49PM
HAHAHA! I imagine he'd be a real hard-ass to train with, but I'm sure you'd end up being ten times tougher than when you started as well.
BionicIng
4/16/07 12:27:15AM
frye isnt the same fighter that he was back in the day but who is. i think htat he is still a game fighter so let him bang and he will make the call as to when it is time to hang it up
Mastodon2
4/16/07 3:34:02AM
He isnt what he used to be, but he is like Randy Couture; the fans will always love to see him fight, and he has built up a reputation now that cannot be diminished by future losses.

That said, I think he should call it in soon, and focus on making $$$ as a coach.
Svartorm
4/16/07 3:39:47AM
Soon, but I think hes got a few more in him. For a guy his age, hes in extremely good shape, and punching power is the last thing to go with a fighter. I think he could have another handful of matches if he stopped fighting upper tier guys. Him against Zulu could be a good one, or he could be a competitive fight against Pavel Nashula, as they both have judo backgrounds, although obviously Pavel is the more decorated of the two. If he picks his opponents well, he could definitely go out on a high note.

As for the JT fight, I don't think he has anything to feel bad about with that. He took it to him and made an entertaining fight.
Stickan
4/16/07 4:26:11AM
Fighting-wise he's no Couture. He should stick to coaching and writing funny columns.
MMA117
4/16/07 5:01:33AM
OMFG he said zulu v. frye that would be great i bet that would happen in japan they love those freak matches over there. Thats why Giant silve has a contract still
keith-hackney1
4/16/07 1:05:22PM

Posted by MMA117

I question this a bit if you look over his last 10 fights theres about a 50% loss' Athough despite his compitition being very strong he has managed to stand up and throw w/ all of them. So i would say Nahh hes still up for it.

What do you think about this?
(sorry if its a rep. topic i searched and didnt see it)

Fry is an old man now, he aint got what it takes to be championship status but fights against thompson and other big heavyweights will be a good payday for him.
nellyhiphophead
4/16/07 1:11:15PM
i don't think he can hang with most guys in pride or the ufc. he should keep to the ifl and maybe have some fights with them.
Svartorm
4/16/07 9:37:12PM

Posted by MMA117

OMFG he said zulu v. frye that would be great i bet that would happen in japan they love those freak matches over there. Thats why Giant silve has a contract still

I like "freak" matches too, although if they're adopting UFC rules, I bet they'll have to either trim the bigger guys off their payroll or open the Super Heavyweight division like they were talking about.
ezkl2517
4/16/07 10:35:43PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by MMA117

I like "freak" matches too, although if they're adopting UFC rules, I bet they'll have to either trim the bigger guys off their payroll or open the Super Heavyweight division like they were talking about.

I agree with the Super heavyweight. As for the Predator, come on guys..he's getting old and yeah he might be off alittle, but i bet he could give all the top guys of today a helluva of a good fight 10 years ago.
BadSanta
4/17/07 4:07:49AM
Was Frye EVER up to par? He's always been a bit of a MMA novelty.
cowcatcher
4/17/07 11:10:44AM

Posted by BadSanta

Was Frye EVER up to par? He's always been a bit of a MMA novelty.

?????? frye has always been uber tough and in turn well respected for good reason. hes been a huge draw for a long time because he brings it every time he fights.
hippysmacker
4/17/07 2:48:43PM
I like a good brawl now and again, and Frye tends to provide them. I don't want to see him fight Giant Silva or any of his ilk. Still , Frye vs Shamrock 2/Butterbean/ Cabbage/ Tank would be something I would like to see
teamquestnorth
4/17/07 4:21:06PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I like a good brawl now and again, and Frye tends to provide them. I don't want to see him fight Giant Silva or any of his ilk. Still , Frye vs Shamrock 2/Butterbean/ Cabbage/ Tank would be something I would like to see

absolutely except maybe shamrock i really dont want to see him fight anymre but the other fights would be a hell of a standup war if the ufc doesnt put it on I bet icon or cage rage would with tank or cabbage.