Don Frye: "These guys want to be movie stars"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Don Frye: "These guys want to be movie stars"
betii
2/16/09 3:54:30PM
New Don Frye interview.

On whether or not some of today's fighters could compete in the original tournaments...

"There are a couple of fighters that can. Silva can for sure. Anderson Silva is a hell of an athlete. St. Pierre probably could do it, but it’s just not a lot of guys out there. Most of these guys are more interested in being TV stars than being fighters. Unfortunately, it’s affecting the game; affecting the sport."

On the difference between the UFC then and now...

"Hell, we were just there to show up, drink some beer, get into a fight, drink a little bit more beer, make some money and go back to work if we had to. These guys want to be movie stars and TV stars right out of the shoot. They don’t want to earn anything. They want it right out of the gate. It takes time. Nobody is patient anymore. Everybody wants everything right now."

On Dana White and recent PPV cards...

"Dana White made it with someone else’s money. He hasn’t done nothing for the sport but lower the standards, the quality of the sport and yell and scream and cuss at people. You get what you pay for and when you’re paying your fighters 2 or 3 thousand dollars, you’re going to get a 2 or 3 thousand dollar fight. You look at the PPV buys and guys on the undercard make $2,000. The money is going somewhere. That’s why it’s usually only one good fight on the card; maybe 2 if you’re lucky. The other 8-10 fights are garbage."

More in the full interview:

DON FRYE: "THESE GUYS WANT TO BE MOVIE STARS"
fizzle
2/16/09 4:13:46PM
Rock on Don
IriShame
2/16/09 7:59:02PM
I saw Don Frye in a Japanese Godzilla movie about 2 or 3 years ago so apparently Don Frye wants to be a movie star.

It was terrible by the way. He was dressed as an army captain of some kind but he really looked like a Street Fighter character.
Boo_Radley21
2/17/09 12:19:06AM

Posted by IriShame

I saw Don Frye in a Japanese Godzilla movie about 2 or 3 years ago so apparently Don Frye wants to be a movie star.

It was terrible by the way. He was dressed as an army captain of some kind but he really looked like a Street Fighter character.

Hey, leave Godzilla out of this.
warglory
2/17/09 12:52:41AM
Has anyone else noticed a lot of the old school fighters have the same mentality as Don Frye? How fighters like Don Frye, who have had their fair share of ass kickings, can claim the old days were superior and filled with tough dudes is beyond me. I won't say he is dillusional because that is borderline fighter bashing, but come on Don.
mrsmiley
2/17/09 9:12:33AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by IriShame

Hey, leave Godzilla out of this.

Godzilla final wars was the F*(#ing S(@t!

It had Funaki and Big Daddy in it too.
I love that movie.
cmill21
2/17/09 3:27:36PM

Posted by warglory

Has anyone else noticed a lot of the old school fighters have the same mentality as Don Frye? How fighters like Don Frye, who have had their fair share of ass kickings, can claim the old days were superior and filled with tough dudes is beyond me. I won't say he is dillusional because that is borderline fighter bashing, but come on Don.

They're probably mad about guys like Huerta, walking away from the sport and money they never saw for movies. It's a good reason to be a little ticked, because they all fought for the love of competition and fighting, and now people are doing it for fame and fortune.