ufc, please don't give cote a title shot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ufc, please don't give cote a title shot
Next Page »
nickcuc547
7/6/08 9:44:31PM
that fight was lackluster, i know the division is a bit thin but just the thought of patrick cote fighting for the title disappoints me. the guy is a gate keeper and always will be, there are plenty of better middleweights to fight silva than cote.
Scott_Revels
7/6/08 9:46:45PM
Only reason I see Cote still getting a title shot, would be for Anderson Silva to add more to his HL Reel, and to pad his record some more. Other than that, Cote needs more fights before he gets a shot.
nickcuc547
7/6/08 9:49:20PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Only reason I see Cote still getting a title shot, would be for Anderson Silva to add more to his HL Reel, and to pad his record some more. Other than that, Cote needs more fights before he gets a shot.

you may be right.
Scott_Revels
7/6/08 9:53:11PM
I mean, I seriously thought that going into last night that we'd have a definitive challenger for Anderson Silva, but instead we got what we did, and I just really don't want to see either near the title. I'd take Franklin getting beat again before Cote getting a shot. I say wait and have Silva face Okami, then the winner of Bisping/Leben.
juanez13
7/6/08 9:56:05PM
yea i wouldnt mind seeing Anderson getting another HL reel KO *(im tired of "i can knock anybody out in my weight class with one punch" speech he gives in every single interview), but Anderson will be fighting Okami soon, dana said silva wants that fight for UFC 88, but depends how things go he might take UFC 89, so Cote might have to fight once more before he'll get his shot....also, the UFC has been known to not give "promised" title shots to fighter that didnt win convincingly, or didnt do it an impressive fashion
(Ala Arlovski/Werdum)...so it makes it much more likely Cote wont get his shot.
tepid55
7/6/08 10:30:37PM
Okami should get the shot before Cote.
jimmypockets
7/6/08 10:32:12PM
Why so much disrespect to winning fighters. I don't get it. I was pulling for Almeida but I have to say Cote did a great job of staying safe and handling such an established ground fighter. I think all the fighters that win their fights deserve a shot at the title. If they prepare, fight, and win in my eyes they are deserving of any opportunity ahead of them.
juanez13
7/6/08 11:07:02PM

Posted by tepid55

Okami should get the shot before Cote.

he is, Dana mentioned it at the Pre-fight conference of UFC 86, said that it was siva's next fight at MW, and said Silva is looking to fight Okami at UFC 88, but depends on how things turn out july 19th.
prozacnation1978
7/6/08 11:15:49PM
that was a boring fight, i don't think cote would have merited one look what happened to arlovski fight with werdum they took it away they can do the same with cote. give him bisping, give him a name, quarry or even okami
Rush
7/6/08 11:32:18PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

that was a boring fight, i don't think cote would have merited one look what happened to arlovski fight with werdum they took it away they can do the same with cote. give him bisping, give him a name, quarry or even okami

Patrick stole the fight in the third round with his leg kicks. That was it.I don't know how it was a split because Almeida clearly won the first and Patrick the second.

Patrick would KO Quarry and probably Okami too. Both guys take too many shots to the head in their fights. Also, I don't think Quarry's pillow punching will work on Patrick. Bisping would be a good test.
Gipper
7/6/08 11:47:10PM
cote has been ripping shit in the mw division. almeida, mcfredries, grove, smith and day. there is no other mw in the ufc that has the 5 fight win streak and against that good of competition. he finished 3 of those fights. cote did what he could last night. obviously some of you don't know how dangerous ricardo aleida really is.
he deserves the titleshot.
theguido
7/6/08 11:54:00PM
Cote vs Franklin Because Franklin needs some good solid fights if he ever intends on facing Slilva again. Cote needs some stiffer comp IMO.
Twenty20Dollars
7/6/08 11:54:30PM
I say yes. have him fight the winner of okami/silva. cus if silva beats okami quick he will wan to fight again soon.

but i dont think silva has an easy walk through with okami, it will be a war.

would like to see a stand up brawl with cote and silva.
Mchubb316
7/7/08 12:16:21AM
I think that the next fight Cote gets should be against another fighter who is in line for a title shot. The winner coming out of that fight gets it. The question is, as far as iam concerned, who is that fighter? I will assume that Bisping, Franklin, and Hendo win their next fights. I say one of those 3 fights Cote, and the remaining 2 fight each other.
pdanke
7/7/08 2:24:08AM
Isn't this disappointing that Franklin is fighting Hamill now?

It sounded good a couple days ago, but now it's just a waste of time given the fact that there isn't a clear contender at 185.

This fight decided nothing other than that there isn't a clear 185 contender outside of Okami....
Naturaldisaster
7/7/08 2:28:35AM
I dont think he deserve a title shot. I dont even think He won that fight. I dont think either of them won. The fight was horrible. neither did anything really. and it was boring. not enough action to even score it really. I thought it was a draw
MoJoy
7/7/08 12:54:22PM
To me its simple. Anderson and Okami go at it. Then Cote fights the winner of Bisbing/Leben. Winner of that will face Anderson and deservedly so.
Naturaldisaster
7/7/08 11:01:00PM

Posted by MoJoy

To me its simple. Anderson and Okami go at it. Then Cote fights the winner of Bisbing/Leben. Winner of that will face Anderson and deservedly so.

sounds like a good idea to me
sammyd1213
7/7/08 11:13:37PM
Okami deserves the shot at 185. There are alot of guys that are better fighters than Cote and Okami(such as Hendo, Franklin, Marquardt, Bisbing) but Okami and Cote have the winning streaks. The shot has to go to one of them, I say Okami.
fonduktoe
7/8/08 12:18:52AM
cote getting a title shot just shows how overall weak the division is
stylewise cote is a bad choice
i know anything can happen in an mma event but i don't see much in cote's repertoire that could give silva fits
i'd rather see a rematch with hendo or marquardt or even thales leites
before cote
of course silva does have to get through okami first.....
sammyd1213
7/8/08 12:35:43AM
I think we would all rather see Hendo or Nate get a rematch, as they have a better chance at beating Silva. But Cote has the streak. And will get the shot.
teddythetuna
7/8/08 12:14:18PM
Cote is a striker and Almeida is a ground wizard. I dont know what people were expecting. Cote could have rushed in and swung for the fences but he would have got taken down and subbed. Thats not how you get ahead in the ufc. He did what he had to to win and now he is getting what he deserves imo. I bet those same people would be happy Almeida was getting a shot if he won so why not give Cote a shot.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/8/08 12:28:57PM

Posted by teddythetuna

Cote is a striker and Almeida is a ground wizard. I dont know what people were expecting. Cote could have rushed in and swung for the fences but he would have got taken down and subbed. Thats not how you get ahead in the ufc. He did what he had to to win and now he is getting what he deserves imo. I bet those same people would be happy Almeida was getting a shot if he won so why not give Cote a shot.

someone's starting to make a lil' sense.
copcopps
7/8/08 12:38:18PM
Let Cote fight Okami so Okami can beat his butt then Okami fight Silva
JBatch
7/8/08 5:34:53PM
Cote should fight winner of Bisping v. Leben to decide who gets a shot after Okami. Cote is a good fighter he has improved a lot since Lutter told him how he was going to win and then did it.
gcraig22
7/13/08 5:04:27PM
They are giving Cote a shot because the UFC wants someone who possibly can knock Silva out. The only fighters that Silva has fought with KO power were Leben and Hendo and both are wild punchers. Cote has quick solid strikes. It will be a better fight than most think. All of this is if Silva can win his next two fights(Irvin and Okami). Cote may be fighting Okami for the title in 6 months.
Taylor8766
7/13/08 5:23:08PM
Personally I think that Cote deserves a shot, but not as bad as Okami, give it to him first, and have Cote fight another MW, maybe the winner of Leben/Bisping for a title shot, or Rich Franklin, cus Rich is the second guy to Anderson, and if you can't beat Rich no way ur gunna beat Anderson.
asterisk
7/13/08 5:46:59PM
Good grief... Has EVERYONE forgotten about Kampmann? He was lined up to fight for a title shot against Franklin and then dude gets hurt and he fell off the map to most people. Have him fight Cote and then Kampmann vs winner of Silva/Okami.
fonduktoe
7/13/08 7:19:27PM

Posted by asterisk

Good grief... Has EVERYONE forgotten about Kampmann? He was lined up to fight for a title shot against Franklin and then dude gets hurt and he fell off the map to most people. Have him fight Cote and then Kampmann vs winner of Silva/Okami.

pv3Hpv3p
7/14/08 11:09:05AM
Cote does not get the credit he deserves...

His only loss to a striker was the split against Leben, other than that there've been a couple of sub losses (Lutter & Doerkson) and the UD loss to the much bigger Tito (in his prime)...

The guy's got a rock solid chin, hits really hard and has been getting better and better through the years... And he's only 28...

Anyways, I think the UFC is turning away from the grappler vs striker type fights, not only because striker vs striker or grappler vs grappler can be more exciting... But because their other big KO artist (Liddell) was heavily critisized for not fighting enough talented strikers and always KOing wrestlers
Pages: [1] 2