Dominick Cruz pulls out of UFC 169 with groin tear; vacates title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dominick Cruz pulls out of UFC 169 with groin tear; vacates title
Next Page »
jjeans
1/6/14 4:54:21PM
With the injury, Cruz is forced to vacate the title and he will be replaced in the UFC 169 main event by his arch rival, Urijah Faber, who will now be getting the shot against new champion Renan Barao on just three weeks notice.

LINK
jjeans
1/6/14 4:55:36PM
Fair play on Faber stepping up on 3 weeks notice but how healthy is he? I thought he was suspended due to injured hands... LINK

This injury comes as no surprise. I'd rather see him pull out of the fight than fight the best in the world who offers him a world of threat especially on almost 2 years of surgeries and rust
postman
1/6/14 4:55:55PM
This is crazy
Kpro
1/6/14 5:01:59PM
Fucking brutal, gonna exceed a 3 year layoff and that's if he doesn't get hurt again. Sad to see an elite fighter lose so much of their prime from age 26-29. 2-3 fights a year, we'll already miss 6-9 fights and I really enjoy watching Cruz fight.
FastKnockout
1/6/14 5:32:48PM
I don't see the rematch playing out much differently. Guess Barao will be champion for a good while.
DrivenDavies15
1/6/14 5:52:08PM
Maaaaaaaaaaan @!?#
GDPofMPG
1/6/14 5:55:54PM
Very unfortunate for Cruz, I was looking forward to seeing him back in action asap.
roofer1967
1/6/14 5:56:14PM
Wow that's unreal Fabor this is probably his last chance he better do something with it
jae_1833
1/6/14 5:58:17PM
Another injury! Dude, re-evaluate your training regime because it is fucked up!
sparky
1/6/14 6:03:40PM
Cruz needs to retire his body just isnt holding up to the constant beating it takes anymore.
kopower
1/6/14 6:09:39PM
Didn't care for his fighting style. I don't mind him in the booth though.
sparky
1/6/14 6:13:52PM
Cruz needs to retire his body just isnt holding up to the constant beating it takes anymore.

I hope they find a replacement for Cruz because I really want to see Barao in action again.

This really hurts the upcoming PPV
roofer1967
1/6/14 6:17:38PM
UFC needs to have a set amount of time a champion can be out of action. Cruz is all the proof anyone should need Barao should have been the real champ over a year ago. imo if you can't defend your title in 365 days the # 1 and #2 fighters should fight for the title.
jjeans
1/6/14 6:21:39PM

Posted by sparky

I hope they find a replacement for Cruz because I really want to see Barao in action again.

This really hurts the upcoming PPV

Read the brief article summary
Read the article
Or read my post after the article

Edit, fuck it I'll FB you
Webbie
1/6/14 6:31:01PM
I don't even know what to think of this. Obviously it's extremely unfortunate for Cruz, but also for Barao. Cruz really needs to either make some serious changes in the way that he trains or just retire from the sport all together. By the time he fights again he won't even be relevant; most casual fans won't even recognize him. Either way, I feel for him, but I feel for Barao as well. Barao has little to gain in beating Faber again already.

Faber shouldn't be stepping in. There's no way he's healthy enough or even prepared for a rematch with Barao right now. He's being used, and it'll only hurt himself.
JoeWarren33
1/6/14 6:34:07PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
prozacnation1978
1/6/14 7:15:48PM
Cruz is becoming the new Sean sherk
JoeWarren33
1/6/14 7:34:45PM

Cruz is becoming the new Sean sherk

Disagree.

Would say Pettis, but not even close!

Cruz is in a category of his own!
Dberntson
1/6/14 7:34:47PM
Gotta give Faber credit. Stepping up to fight Barrio on 3 1/2 weeks notice, on probably his last title fight, is ballzey. Faber. It's a great opportunity for him, but a bigger favor to the UFC. I hope they appreciate it.
aussiemma
1/6/14 7:58:47PM
This is fucked up ! I was looking forward to this fight too.

I picture Dominick Cruz curled up in a ball in his king size bed inside his mansion sobbing uncontrollably.
Budgellism
1/6/14 8:05:30PM
I can't believe how unlucky this guy is. It might be time to hang up the gloves. His style is obviously too strenuous on his body for this. Even if he were to make it to a fight, all I'd be thinking about is that his ACL could blow any minute.
tepid55
1/6/14 8:11:06PM
I think his MMA career is over.
prozacnation1978
1/6/14 8:24:52PM
Being out of action for three years by the time
He gets back if he does. Mir wasn't even out this long
Or gsp. He needs to just retire
shaneTpain
1/6/14 8:37:38PM
Unfortunate! Was really looking forward to Cruz's return but a Faber/Barao rematch is sorta cool too I guess..
JLS1980
1/6/14 8:41:29PM
I was looking forward to Barao/Cruz but honestly I would have to say that Faber poses more of a threat to Barao than Cruz considering the type of year Faber has had and that Cruz has been out of action for so long.
JoeWarren33
1/6/14 8:46:32PM
The big question, is if Uriah can get in close. Find it interesting Faber took the fight, so makes me think Duane "Bang" likes this matchup! Hopefully Team Alpha Male can SHOCK the world!
prophecy033
1/6/14 9:01:47PM
Man, this news sucks. Cruz is awesome when he's healthy but he just can't seem to stay Healthy long enough to fight.
Michael_Corleone
1/6/14 9:26:36PM

Damn!
jae_1833
1/6/14 10:29:55PM

Posted by aussiemma

This is fucked up ! I was looking forward to this fight too.

I picture Dominick Cruz curled up in a ball in his king size bed inside his mansion sobbing uncontrollably.

Sorry man, but I am pretty fucking positive that Cruz lives in nothing even resembling a mansion. Probably like a nice condo. Very few MMA fighters have that kind of money really. Most who do didn't get it from MMA either, they got it from other things that came from the fame they got from MMA.
Webbie
1/6/14 11:29:15PM

Posted by Dberntson

Faber. It's a great opportunity for him, but a bigger favor to the UFC. I hope they appreciate it.

You can hope in one hand and shit in the other. We all know the UFC doesn't give a fuck. They see fighters as expendable objects.

I love Faber, but he's making a huge mistake here. It's a shame he feels the need to do this at all.

Posted by JLS1980

I was looking forward to Barao/Cruz but honestly I would have to say that Faber poses more of a threat to Barao than Cruz considering the type of year Faber has had and that Cruz has been out of action for so long.

Don't forget that Faber is fighting on short notice and is still injured from the McDonald fight.
Pages: [1] 2