Will having dominating champions in each weight class actually hurt the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will having dominating champions in each weight class actually hurt the UFC?
cj_striker
9/23/09 12:08:29PM
First of all I'm not saying that the UFC already has dominating champions in each division or that they will in each division, but what I am saying is that we already have two IMO with GSP (defeating Hughes, Serra, Fitch, and Alves as champion, not to mention B.J.) and Anderson (defeating Lutter, Franklin, Hendo, Cote, and Leites as well as Forrest and Irvin at LHW). And there can definitely be a case made for B.J. if he defeats Sanchez and the next top contender after him. And Machida IMO is definitely on his way to dominating his division, I don't see who can defeat him at this point. The only question mark is Lesnar, but if he can defeat Carwin, then the winner of Velasquez vs. Rothwell (which could be a big if especially in Velasquez wins), then he would need to beat Big Nog and maybe someone like Dos Santos and Kongo or Gonzaga if they get back on the winning track. But even if Lesnar isn't able to hold onto the strap you still have 4 out of 5 divisions being dominated by the champ. And IMO that could actually hurt the UFC and the MMA world, most everyone likes to know that eventually the king of the mountain will get dethroned and someone else will be crowned and then the old king can start his climb back to the top. After awhile I feel like everyone starts to rout against the guy or team that is constantly on top, that whole rout for the underdog thing kicks into affect. Let me know your thoughts on this!
imanidiot777
9/23/09 12:30:47PM

Posted by cj_striker

First of all I'm not saying that the UFC already has dominating champions in each division or that they will in each division, but what I am saying is that we already have two IMO with GSP (defeating Hughes, Serra, Fitch, and Alves as champion, not to mention B.J.) and Anderson (defeating Lutter, Franklin, Hendo, Cote, and Leites as well as Forrest and Irvin at LHW). And there can definitely be a case made for B.J. if he defeats Sanchez and the next top contender after him. And Machida IMO is definitely on his way to dominating his division, I don't see who can defeat him at this point. The only question mark is Lesnar, but if he can defeat Carwin, then the winner of Velasquez vs. Rothwell (which could be a big if especially in Velasquez wins), then he would need to beat Big Nog and maybe someone like Dos Santos and Kongo or Gonzaga if they get back on the winning track. But even if Lesnar isn't able to hold onto the strap you still have 4 out of 5 divisions being dominated by the champ. And IMO that could actually hurt the UFC and the MMA world, most everyone likes to know that eventually the king of the mountain will get dethroned and someone else will be crowned and then the old king can start his climb back to the top. After awhile I feel like everyone starts to rout against the guy or team that is constantly on top, that whole rout for the underdog thing kicks into affect. Let me know your thoughts on this!

I think that could help the UFC, especially in the case of BJ Penn because there are a lot of people that just want to see the guy lose and will watch every fight just to see the day. I know in my own mind, I want to be watching the event when one of these supermen lose. That can also be a big draw. I think if the belt is changing hands too much it can get annoying for the casual fan who doesn't know a lot about each fighter. I think casual fans like to have a superman to watch.
chickmagnet
9/23/09 12:37:00PM
No, because it will create a bigger hype when one of them gets beat. I think it is quite possible that at least one of the champions will get beat within this or next year.
postman
9/23/09 1:03:59PM
No I actually was worried that with 205 being so stacked and having 4 champs in one year that people would lose intrest.
Violence108
9/23/09 2:28:31PM
i dont see how haveing Champions that win all the time can hurt anything, theres nothing that the UFC can do about it, i like to have dominating champions then you know who to beat to be the best, unlike that past 2 years in the LHW divison i dont know what happen there haha 1st Chuck, the Rampage then Forrest then Evans then The Dargon haha
cj_striker
9/23/09 3:29:50PM
Very good points being made, and i guess i agree, as long as the domination doesn't last too long. I know that I would eventually sometime in the next two years like to see someone beat GSP, Silva, Machida, and Penn (I feel like Lesnar will definitely lose before then, not a hater or anything, it's just a feeling) all so that at least it stays interesting knowing that someone can actually defeat them. I have to agree that a champion keeping the strap for awhile can benefit the UFC, because it does hype up fights and makes people want to be tuned in when one of them is finally defeated. The only reason I wouldn't like to see either GSP, Silva, or Machida would be so that super fights between them would almost have to happen.
hotrodttt
9/23/09 5:43:38PM
No because if it were vise versa then there would be no solitified champ and new fans couldn't get into the sport because they don't don't have anybody to nutthug
Rush
9/23/09 9:09:51PM
As long as the UFC builds legit contenders I don't think it will be a problem.
mentalcase
9/23/09 10:12:49PM
having dominate champion is good for the UFC and fans
Sinister
9/23/09 11:18:19PM
I think right now the UFC has the best champions they ever had at one time. Each guy could hold the title for a very long time and I dont see it changing for awhile. It can hurt them to a point but it seem like mainstream people attract to dominate guys (EX. Chuck Liddell) They want to know a name that they can just keep glorifying to seem like they know what they are talking about.