Most Dominant UFC Champion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Most Dominant UFC Champion
MMASouthAfrica
3/24/12 6:40:25PM
Who do you think is the most dominant UFC champion?

I had my own ideas, but decided to study the stats a little. Here are my findings:
Who is the most dominant UFC Champion?

Do you agree with the stats?
Budgellism
3/24/12 6:56:09PM
Yeah, the list makes sense to me
Chael_Sonnen
3/24/12 7:04:05PM
No Chael
Bubbles
3/24/12 7:09:55PM
even as a Silva hater, he is currently the most dominant champion, but I don't think it should be that wide a margin. Finishing fights or winning a decision both accomplish the same thing - getting the win. I don't think there should be a discrepancy between the two, just like winning by 3 goals or in a shootout in hockey, winning by 35 points or a buzzer beater in basketball, winning in a playoff or by 5 shots in a PGA event. The fact is they got the win

if you want to compare quality of opponents, there is no doubt GSP has faced the better competition overall.

Silva > GSP in p4p talks or dominant champion or whatnot, but a difference that large is false imo
george112
3/24/12 8:31:18PM
Eventhough i don't like the guy Silva has been the champion for as long as I can remember.

BUT there is nothing wrong with making the argument for Tim Sylvia

SIKE

I meant GSP
tcunningham
3/25/12 3:12:25AM
i agree with silva being the most dominant. not only is he the most dominant champion, i think he's probably the greatest fighter in the history of the sport, and this is coming from a silva hater. he's held the belt for the longest and beat everybody there is to beat at MW including a few LHW's. and what sets him aside from GSP really is his ability to finish most all of his opponents. there has been some more polarizing fighters than silva but none with equal accomplishments, fedor really is his only rival, but he is at the twilight of his career. i'm still a silva hater though
warglory
3/25/12 11:32:25AM
Yeah, I don't think there's really any question right now. GSP is amazing, but he has experienced hardships in his UFC career, while Silva remains unbeaten, with really only one test on his resume, that he succeeded in pulling out of on top (that's what she said).
prozacnation1978
3/25/12 9:36:37PM
How can you argue anyone else besides silva
Spanglepants
3/25/12 11:39:44PM
technically silva's win over belfort wasn't his since steven segal invented the front kick, so i think you have to give gsp the edge based on that.
KungFuMaster
3/25/12 11:42:48PM

Posted by Spanglepants

technically silva's win over belfort wasn't his since steven segal invented the front kick, so i think you have to give gsp the edge based on that.

I like your train of thought which is why you are in my camp.
kingsmasher
3/26/12 1:31:48PM
Jon Jones...Hes literally destroyed everyone...Guys he was an underdog too...

Chael almost beat Silva....and thats a really weak division...Nobody well rounded at all...

Jon Jones crushed Shogun who is a very very well rounded fighter...I mean these guys were champions at a time....Who does Silva have a win over that was a champion?

Just froma competition level withing the division Jon Jones is a night mare for guys that are well nightmares for many many years....

IN a superfight Jones would crush Silva like he was Matt Hamill...

A wrestler will beat Silva...too bad theres really only one wrestler in his division...
Cooler
3/26/12 2:21:05PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Jones hasnt been an underdog since Bonnar and Gusmao, and he didnt destroy Gusmao he had some troubles with him as well as Machida. The irony of your statement is that his lone loss was when he was a favorite over Hamill lol
Bubbles
3/26/12 3:02:33PM

when was the last time he was an underdog? Stephan Bonnar?

Jon Jones crushed Shogun who is a very very well rounded fighter...I mean these guys were champions at a time....Who does Silva have a win over that was a champion?

Shogun was also coming off knee surgery and it showed. Silva took the title from Rich Franklin (then beat him again) and beat former LHW champ Forrest Griffin. I'm a full time Silva hater but lets not be stupid

A wrestler will beat Silva...too bad theres really only one wrestler in his division...

so what are Munoz and Wiedman then?
bjj1605
3/26/12 5:50:31PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Chael almost beat Silva....and thats a really weak division...Nobody well rounded at all...

Just froma competition level withing the division Jon Jones is a night mare for guys that are well nightmares for many many years....

IN a superfight Jones would crush Silva like he was Matt Hamill...

I would put Jones 3rd (same way the article does) after GSP and The Spider.

The only reason MW looks weak is because Anderson has cleaned it out.

This guy beat:
Leben (great chin, good striker, well rounded)
Rich Franklin (very well rounded former UFC champ)
Nate Marquardt (very well rounded, strong grappler, former king of Pancrase)
Dan Henderson (multiple division champ in Pride and Strikeforce, top level wrestler, very well rounded)
Maia (amazing grappler)
Cote (powerful striker)
Belfort (well rounded, great striker, former UFC champ)
Sonnen (good wrestler)
Okami (good wrestler, well rounded)
Leites (good grappler)
Lutter (good grappler)
Irvin (out of weight class)
Forrest (former UFC champ, much bigger, out of weight class, well rounded, good grappler)

He's fought a couple great wrestlers, many great grapplers, many good strikers, and several former champs. Basically everything you said in your post is wrong.

He's beaten them all and finished most of them.

You can't argue that he's not the most dominant. Trying to do so just makes you look like a hater and you're not convincing anyone.
Bubbles
3/26/12 6:07:55PM

Posted by bjj1605
Cote (powerful striker)

Leben wasn't well rounded at the time of the fight, all he was was a brawler with a rock hard chin and heavy hands. He had some sub skills (armbars specifically) but I wouldn't call it as a strength. Now he is far more well rounded

imo Cote has the better chin...why you omit that?? Must be an American bias lol
bjj1605
3/26/12 6:21:54PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605
Cote (powerful striker)

Leben wasn't well rounded at the time of the fight, all he was was a brawler with a rock hard chin and heavy hands. He had some sub skills (armbars specifically) but I wouldn't call it as a strength. Now he is far more well rounded

imo Cote has the better chin...why you omit that?? Must be an American bias lol

Haha. Good point about Cote.

Leben has become much more well rounded since then, but he wasn't exactly one dimensional even then.

His wrestling and ground game weren't great but they weren't horrible either.

Regardless, Leben was considered a force in the division at the time (as were all of Anderson's opponents.)

Its really easy to lose sight of time and context. We can say now that "so and so was never that good anyway" but at the time Anderson was facing the best challenges there were.