CB Dollaway video: ‘I never tapped at anytime’ against Mike Massenzio at UFC 92

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » CB Dollaway video: ‘I never tapped at anytime’ against Mike Massenzio at UFC 92
Wolfenstein
12/29/08 7:17:51PM
Some have scrutinized that CB may have tapped to the guilotine vs Massenzio, which CB denies in this post confernce video...anyway here is also a gif (thanks Manfred) that llustrates the point.

If he's not tapping then he has to start becoming more aware of this issue, because this would be the second time now (including his fight with Amir) that he has looked very close to tapping. I don't think he was tapping this time around but gees I'll be damned if it doesn't appear he's close.

link

dannyfrank
12/29/08 8:19:47PM
CB seems to be a huge fan of the single tap fake-out
seanfu
12/29/08 8:53:41PM
I din't know what everyones talking about, it was obviously a strike! If someone had a guillotine tight on me I'd try to get loose by rib slaps!
They're the most underutilized move in MMA.
Hendo67
12/29/08 9:00:39PM

Posted by seanfu

I din't know what everyones talking about, it was obviously a strike! If someone had a guillotine tight on me I'd try to get loose by rib slaps!

You're right, by the look of how intense and powerful that strike was...
He's doing it so he plays the victim like "I DIDN'T TAP, IT WAS THE REFS FAULT"
postman
12/29/08 9:43:29PM
He clearly was either A: Thinking of tapping or B: Trying to fake the tap to get out of the hold.
Aether
12/29/08 9:44:16PM
It looks to me like he just lifted his arm out and when he went to rest his hand on mike's chest his forearm bumped mike's causing it to bounce once. I noticed it during the fight also, pretty sure his arm just bounced, that's all.

Look at their forearms collide as he puts his hand on his chest. No different than if you drop your arm down on your couch or something else with some padding. It will bounce up once before it comes to rest.
mk1630
12/29/08 9:47:13PM

Posted by seanfu

Haha im surprised I didnt hear Rogan say that during the fight.
Jackelope
12/29/08 10:12:50PM

Posted by Aether

It looks to me like he just lifted his arm out and when he went to rest his hand on mike's chest his forearm bumped mike's causing it to bounce once. I noticed it during the fight also, pretty sure his arm just bounced, that's all.

Look at their forearms collide as he puts his hand on his chest. No different than if you drop your arm down on your couch or something else with some padding. It will bounce up once before it comes to rest.

This was the conclusion I came to as well. I was highly critical at first, but then I went back and looked.
DevonFoxy
12/29/08 10:22:39PM
I thought he tapped but I don't think he would keep going if he wanted to end the fight he would prolly have given up so Im gonna give him the benefit of the doubt....plus im a huge fan of his so that helps too.
prozacnation1978
12/29/08 10:29:02PM
i was there dude you tapped
u did your famous baby tap like you did against amir
breakdown5
12/29/08 11:03:11PM
I was screaming that he tapped when I watched it as well.
copcopps
12/29/08 11:07:38PM
I never knew CB trained with Matt Lindland in the art of denial tapouts
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/30/08 12:19:25AM

Posted by postman

He clearly was either A: Thinking of tapping or B: Trying to fake the tap to get out of the hold.

Option B, you can see mass easing up on the tightness of the hold just after the fake tap is made... not so clear on the gif but watch the fight again, its crystal clear
TheNatural915
12/30/08 1:47:33AM
WHAT.....He didn't tap, just like Amir he didn't tap he was just giving them a pat on the back saying good job.
Manfred
12/30/08 6:03:09AM
CB " Premature Etapulator" Dollaway

ohiostate1016
12/30/08 12:15:23PM
You can tell that he's lying and that he knows that he got away with that tap.

Funny thing is, every time that he tries to ground n pound, he gets tapped. When will this kid learn?????
Pitbull09
12/30/08 2:59:28PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by postman

Option B, you can see mass easing up on the tightness of the hold just after the fake tap is made... not so clear on the gif but watch the fight again, its crystal clear

Yea, he def let up on the submission. My brother even said that was BS cause he had it in tight. Thats why every fighter should be like the Lesnar/ Mir fight and hold the sub til the ref stops it./
copcopps
12/30/08 3:06:38PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

You can tell that he's lying and that he knows that he got away with that tap.

Funny thing is, every time that he tries to ground n pound, he gets tapped. When will this kid learn?????

Yeah that's what I found out and I'm thinking CB should be more of a striker IMO
Aether
12/30/08 4:32:04PM
He doesn't let go of the submission, he straightens his back to try to dig his forearm further in. He's making it tighter, not letting it go. Anyone who's actually been in there knows you don't stop when you feel a hand tap you, you stop when the ref jumps in. He was probably concentrating so hard on finishing the sub that he didn't even notice CB's hand hitting him.

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. Look at his arm, not just his hand. He doesn't make a tapping motion he just drops his hand on mike's chest and it bounces off of his arm.

Pretty obviously not a tap IMO.
bls1919
12/30/08 6:14:39PM
I was sure he tapped when i was watching and then after watching again ........it is very borderline. He needs to address this issue as i think is is reactionary from training everyday and not wanting to get hurt. But he did tap and got away with it IMO
Aether
12/31/08 10:00:19AM
I guess the only one who will ever know for sure is CB, although I actually believe him when he says he doesn't remember it..
higdon10
12/31/08 12:09:37PM
That was def. a tap.
gsquat
12/31/08 12:57:10PM
I really thought he tapped when I was watching. I guess its what constitutes a tap. Does it have to be reapeated? Because otherwise it could be considered a strike. A gay strike, but a strike nonetheless.
The_Ho_Bag
12/31/08 1:11:16PM
not to be mean or anything but he said so queerish at the end of his fight =)
gsquat
12/31/08 1:18:13PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

not to be mean or anything but he said so queerish at the end of his fight =)

I know! What was up with his voice!? I think he was super nervous or something. My wife was going, "He didn't always talk like that. He sounds like a woman."
Wallass
12/31/08 5:53:40PM
Definitely tapped. I hope he gets called out on this one big time cause me and the 6 people watching with me all got pissed when it wasnt acknowledged by the ref. Not a character guy at all.
the_01
1/3/09 5:05:01PM
He obviously Tapped. Yves Lavegne is getting old for this job, or maybe he needs glasses ( like Mazagatti ).
jiujitsufreak74
1/3/09 5:22:19PM
well over the years that i have been involved with MMA and JJ, you have to tap 3 times for it to be a tap out. it only looked to be 2 (1 if it was really just a bounce back) and he showed no signs of wanting to quit. it very well could have been a fake tap, but one thing i do know is that wasn't an official tap to me because it wasn't 3 times.
DevonFoxy
1/3/09 5:29:10PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well over the years that i have been involved with MMA and JJ, you have to tap 3 times for it to be a tap out. it only looked to be 2 (1 if it was really just a bounce back) and he showed no signs of wanting to quit. it very well could have been a fake tap, but one thing i do know is that wasn't an official tap to me because it wasn't 3 times.

I agree with this if he did tap usually the person gives up and the ref has to stop it. Dollaway never gave in and just kept pulling his head out so im giving him the benefit of the day.