Doing MMA with a torn miniscus.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Doing MMA with a torn miniscus.
FutureChamp
7/16/09 2:59:08PM
About 2 1/2 or 3 months ago i wrecked my dirt bike and tore my miniscus. Its kind of healed on its own but its still a little shakey. Not sure what i should do from this point if its as good as its gonna get i wanna start training. Or should i give it more time to heal?
Jackelope
7/16/09 3:06:48PM
I'd ask a doctor long before I'd ask a forum.

Fact is this- there are very few sports that will test the flexibility and durability of your knees like MMA. Have a doctor advise you, because you will injure your knee at one point or another, it's just a question of how badly.
5ilvia1
7/16/09 3:43:28PM
definitely ask a doctor kiddo.. i tore my acl 6 months ago and had surgery so im a little familiar with it... basically was told anything that doesnt heal properly WILL come back to haunt you and only makes you knee more prone to tear other things like ligaments...and trust me, you dont wanna tear any of them. Rehab sucks.
Joemoplata
7/16/09 5:24:45PM
They can scope the meniscus easily as an outpatient treatment you're back on the mats in 1 week. If you have insurance go get it taken care of sooner rather than later.
cowcatcher
7/17/09 9:01:05AM
meniscus is minor but should be checked out. ive had it done 5 times and its a quick turnaround to get back to normal. i never stopped doing the things i would normally do with it though, i just have to ice it down a little more often than usual. its really a matter of how strong it feels to you because you know your body better than anyone so if it feels really awkward it needs to get fixed ASAP.
Joemoplata
7/21/09 5:21:40PM

Posted by cowcatcher

meniscus is minor but should be checked out. ive had it done 5 times and its a quick turnaround to get back to normal. i never stopped doing the things i would normally do with it though, i just have to ice it down a little more often than usual. its really a matter of how strong it feels to you because you know your body better than anyone so if it feels really awkward it needs to get fixed ASAP.

Yep, I've been battling my left knee having a slight tear for about 2 years now and it' just getting bad enough where I am thinking of going to get it scoped.
telnights
7/21/09 8:08:15PM
Back, Knee's, and Neck...Anytime you have any major pain or problems with these should get it checked out by a doctor as damage to any of these could be life long.
Joemoplata
7/22/09 1:52:36PM

Posted by telnights

Back, Knee's, and Neck...Anytime you have any major pain or problems with these should get it checked out by a doctor as damage to any of these could be life long.

Crap, all three of these things are killing me!