Why doesn't the UFC do detailed stats at the end of fights?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why doesn't the UFC do detailed stats at the end of fights?
haggiswashere
11/23/08 4:58:29AM
I noticed strikeforce does it and i was wondering why the ufc does not. I like being able to see how many effective strikes were landed and stuff and it makes it easier to live with judges calls and stuff.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/23/08 7:27:03AM
I dont know...b/c nobody cares what the detailed stats are. We just want 2 know who wins and who loses. - this is my best guess
haggiswashere
11/23/08 8:17:37AM

Posted by Bobby-B-Bonkers

I dont know...b/c nobody cares what the detailed stats are. We just want 2 know who wins and who loses. - this is my best guess

obviously someone does
bojangalz
11/23/08 8:25:52AM
The UFC has been working with statisitcs for about six months now. They just arn't doing a breakdown at the end of each fight. I'm not sure I enjoy listening to Goldie talk about takedown success rates and the abount of time someone has spent on their back. I know they are probably trying to bring in statisics to help identify themselves with the more mainstream sports. But to me it just feels like they are taking very minimal numbers and using them as points of interest during the play by play.

I'd like to see statistics used as long as they are done right. Thats not the case right now. I'm not sure what/who they are using to collect the statistics that they already use. But there are some pretty well known services like FightMatrix and Compustrike who are used by other promotions right now. Maybe the UFC won't use those services because they are partners with rival promotions.

In time, each fight will have a pretty clear data set to work from. It's just another logical evolution within the sport. But it's hard to say how long it'll be before the statistical standards are set and collected.
emfleek
11/23/08 9:41:02AM
It's very uninteresting to me, personally.
Jackelope
11/23/08 9:58:08AM
They usually use the time to push sponsors, upcoming events, or something else of that nature. That, and post fight interviews, of course. I think it gives the cards a good pace and that the sponsor pushing helps generate revenue. I don't have a problem with them not doing it.

Although it does seem like lately they've been making somewhat of an attempt. With the successful TD % ratio, the leg kick landing %, and other things like that. Still, I'd much rather see longer post fight interviews and the next bout quicker. Boxing cards that focus a lot of stats usually seem pretty drawn out to me
Gweedo
11/23/08 10:30:38AM
I agree
warglory
11/23/08 10:32:34AM
If they went through that whole schpiel, that would be very annoying in my opinion. I am often turned off by team sports for this very fact. I mean some stations cut into game action just to compare stats of players from teams. Its kinda ridiculous, and I hope MMA never gets to that point.
Twenty20Dollars
11/23/08 11:04:05AM
I think its some what pointless because you have too many stats, in boxing you are just looking at the punches. In MMA there is strikes,leg kicks, sub attempts, takedowns.

I would rather look at replays of the round/fight or listen into the corner because that is more interesting to me. I like to hear what the corner says to their fighter.
seanfu
11/23/08 3:21:49PM
In MMA it's not that important but I do like hearing stuff like Takedown rates and guard passes etc. It's not really that relevant a lot of the time because one fight you might be standing and the next might be a clinch/ scramble for a lot of the fight.

As long as they don't dwell on numbers like Goldie likes to (GSP Serra 2) I think it could be used well.

Hearing that a fighter has been taken down once in 5 fights, or never been subbed, or never had his guard passed in the UFC is cool.

Next time a guy makes a sub attempt off his back, hearing the success rate of sub attempts from bottom from the last 3 years in the UFC could be cool.

So all in all, the UFC specifically could work well using stats without the specifics of compustrike or compugrapple or whatever else they wanna call it.
juanez13
11/23/08 3:30:30PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I would rather look at replays of the round/fight or listen into the corner because that is more interesting to me. I like to hear what the corner says to their fighter.

RiseUp21
11/23/08 7:58:14PM
Go rewatch UFC 87. You'll be so sick of stats after GSP/Fitch you'll wanna take back this thread.
Rush
11/23/08 10:46:19PM
I think one reason might be that it can undermine the judges in the event of a decision. It essentially adds another judge into the mix, which I think can cause probelms in the event that the "official" UFC stats do not jive with the NSAC's final judgement.
State_Champ
11/24/08 2:10:58PM
But doesn't seem just as likely, or more so, that the stats could back up the judges decisions?
I personally have often wondered about some of the split decisions in the UFC and maybe seeing the stats could give the judges decisions credibility. and help people to understand things, like why Bisping beat Hamill.
haggiswashere
11/24/08 2:17:55PM

Posted by State_Champ

But doesn't seem just as likely, or more so, that the stats could back up the judges decisions?
I personally have often wondered about some of the split decisions in the UFC and maybe seeing the stats could give the judges decisions credibility. and help people to understand things, like why Bisping beat Hamill.

Exactly. Thats why i want them as well.
Rush
11/24/08 8:16:18PM

Posted by State_Champ

It doesn't matter. Whether they supported or contradicted the judges doesn't matter. The UFC should play no part in official judging and posting official stats on fights is just meddling in the judges business.

IMO, the Eddie Bravo scoring was a mistake and I am glad they don't do it any more.

If the UFC is going to post more stats on anything, I wish it was a more useful Tale of the Tape. I mean, come on. The weight is useless because we know (save the HWs) they all weigh in within a pound from the division maximum. The reach is a vague stat that has yet to be properlly defined IMO. Also, why does it change so much for certain fighters?

I'd like to see a Tale of the Tape that had things like

Country
MMA record and UFC record
Clearly defined reach stats. I still think the distance from an outstreched arm to the chin is the best way to measure reach.
height
fighter's strengths