Who doesen't fight up to their potential??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who doesen't fight up to their potential??
Next Page »
hathcock32
2/20/07 7:51:32PM
Joe Riggs is a guy that i honestly thaught would....beat Matt Hughes....beat Mike Swick.....beat Diego Sanchez....i know hes had a lot to deal with in his life but who are some other fighters that look like they could be at the top but just for some reason or another their not.
nate22
2/20/07 7:54:48PM
Talent starts diminishing when you lose to Matt Hughes, lose to Swick, lose to Diego, it's just the way it goes. Riggs is young and can perform well in WEC it may be the best thing for his career, it's a wait and see thing really. Worse case he will end up back in the ufc if he wins a few fights in wec.

Thinking he would beat Matt Hughes? Erm, why, how?
Stickan
2/20/07 7:55:44PM
Kevin Randleman.... wrong camp all the way. Vitor Belfort but has had some rough times in his life.
Krazy Horse..... start training ffs.
madmarck
2/20/07 7:57:41PM
Vitor Belfort
Partick Cote
BJ Penn
Tim Sylvia
Frank Mir
Brad Imes
xthe_scottx
2/20/07 7:57:48PM

Posted by hathcock32

Joe Riggs is a guy that i honestly thaught would....beat Matt Hughes....beat Mike Swick.....beat Diego Sanchez....i know hes had a lot to deal with in his life but who are some other fighters that look like they could be at the top but just for some reason or another their not.

BJ Penn for sure. IMO he has the most exciting ground game in MMA and showed he can strike by defeating some top competition in LW and WW. He just doesn't fully apply himself and does seem mentally where he needs to be to a major belt contender at LW or WW.
hathcock32
2/20/07 7:58:08PM
Well.....beating...him....maybe not ...im a big hughes fan...grew up in the city next to him...but i thaught he had a chance....i know he didnt make the weight limit and that could of led to the 1rd submission....
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 8:01:05PM
like everyone says about Joe Riggs..."he's a monster in training"...he has the potential to be great,but just cannot handle under pressure where it counts
Stickan
2/20/07 8:02:18PM

Posted by madmarck

Vitor Belfort
Partick Cote
BJ Penn
Tim Sylvia
Frank Mir
Brad Imes

Damn you got the best example. BJ Penn. With his talent he could've been the most dominating WW or MW or LW for that matter of all time.
Zvonimir
2/20/07 9:04:38PM

Posted by Stickan

Kevin Randleman.... wrong camp all the way. Vitor Belfort but has had some rough times in his life.
Krazy Horse..... start training ffs.[/

Randleman for sure gets my vote.
richieb19
2/20/07 9:17:00PM

Posted by Stickan

Bingo, Kevin has more natural ability than any fighter I've ever seen, his inconsistancy with top contention fighters is proof of that. I don't know if I want to blame Hammer House for him not living up to his potential, but there was always just a little something missing.
hippysmacker
2/20/07 9:21:56PM
A lot of good choices. Good idea for a thread by the way. I would like to add Lee Murray to the list. I know he got stabbed and later allegedly became a bank robber, but I really thought he was going to be a stud when I first saw him in the octagon. I think BJ, Vitor, and Randleman are the best examples out of all that have been mentioned however.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/21/07 12:34:54PM
Allister Overheem
loller90278
2/21/07 1:05:15PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Allister Overheem

i second that, Alistair Overeem
madmarck
2/21/07 1:37:51PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Stickan

Bingo, Kevin has more natural ability than any fighter I've ever seen, his inconsistancy with top contention fighters is proof of that. I don't know if I want to blame Hammer House for him not living up to his potential, but there was always just a little something missing.

Randle man has been pretty messed up lately. He did almsot die from a lung infections. During his last 2 fights he was literally "down with the sickness". He is getting older too. I dont see how he isnt living up to his potential. Has fighters get older their performance decreases in quality. Just look at Ken Shamrock. He is gettin owned left right and center. Hell he was the King of the World after his 2nd fight with Royce.
madmarck
2/21/07 1:40:22PM

Posted by hippysmacker

A lot of good choices. Good idea for a thread by the way. I would like to add Lee Murray to the list. I know he got stabbed and later allegedly became a bank robber, but I really thought he was going to be a stud when I first saw him in the octagon. I think BJ, Vitor, and Randleman are the best examples out of all that have been mentioned however.

It may be alleged that Lee Murray committed the crime. But he can fight up to his potetntial its just that he is on Jail in Morocco. And there are talks of trading him to Britain for some terroist. So it looks like he could be in for a while . Esp since the Robbery he is accused of is the bigggest in the UKs histroy.
DirtySouthBoss
2/21/07 7:15:30PM
Id also have to say BJ. Maybe even Aleks Em. He hasnt trained with his brother for a long time. You know its not the genetics, i think he is jealous of his bro
hippysmacker
2/21/07 7:24:37PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by hippysmacker

It may be alleged that Lee Murray committed the crime. But he can fight up to his potetntial its just that he is on Jail in Morocco. And there are talks of trading him to Britain for some terroist. So it looks like he could be in for a while . Esp since the Robbery he is accused of is the bigggest in the UKs histroy.

I thought he was in jail for a entirely different crime( attacking and beating up morroccan security forces) and that they weren't going to extradite him because he is of partial morroccan descent. ANyway, there may be some tough guys in a morraccan jail
madmarck
2/21/07 9:34:03PM
Yeah hippysmacker he is probably one of em. He is in Jail in Morroco for something i duno what. Prob what you said. But he is wanted in the UK for a huge Bank Robbery. So like i said Morroco may want to trade him for some other Prisoner or somethin.
rameydl8
4/20/07 9:46:29PM

Posted by Zvonimir

Posted by Stickan

Krazy Horse..... start training ffs.[/

Randleman for sure gets my vote.

D-Boy
4/20/07 10:14:06PM

Posted by hippysmacker

He's also had rumors around him in involvment in a crime gang for a while but then again there are many stories around this guy I don't know how many are true.

and on this thread I'd say Mark Weir, I know he's quite old now but back in his day I think he could have gone a lot further
chentay2112
4/21/07 12:12:39AM
pedro rizzo is one that i always felt was a waste of talent.....

in one fight he would be absolutely devastating and then the following fight would be absolute garbage...

he had the skills to be one of the greatest heavyweights of all time in mma.... IMO

i dont know whether it was a lack of ambition on his part but he had a great trainer and mentor in marco ruas
and he could have been so much better than he was
pv3Hpv3p
4/21/07 1:03:41AM

Posted by chentay2112

pedro rizzo is one that i always felt was a waste of talent.....

in one fight he would be absolutely devastating and then the following fight would be absolute garbage...

he had the skills to be one of the greatest heavyweights of all time in mma.... IMO

i dont know whether it was a lack of ambition on his part but he had a great trainer and mentor in marco ruas
and he could have been so much better than he was

I will agree with Rizzo... Do you guys remember when Rogan was talking about him going to a sport psychiatrist to try and find out why he was so timid in a fight, and refused to ingage? He's a great example of having all the physical attributes, but just something blocks the mental side and he can't really let the animal out when he needs to. A lot like Randleman...

I will also agree with whoever said AlistarO... The guy might be the tallest LHW out there a huge guy in general, and I have to think that he does some serious cutting before a fight... Do you guys think that's what makes him seem to gas so quickly?

I'll also throw in a couple more... I think that Marillo 'Ninja" Rua is right up there... The guy show moments of brilliance, just like his brother, but after Sergei KO'd him, he hasn't seemed the same... And I think Evangalista Santos is the same...

Roamn Zentsov is another... And I'll throw Stephan Leko in the mix
pv3Hpv3p
4/21/07 1:06:37AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Stickan

Randle man has been pretty messed up lately. He did almsot die from a lung infections. During his last 2 fights he was literally "down with the sickness". He is getting older too. I dont see how he isnt living up to his potential. Has fighters get older their performance decreases in quality. Just look at Ken Shamrock. He is gettin owned left right and center. Hell he was the King of the World after his 2nd fight with Royce.

I think most people would say he isn't living up to his potential because he could've been great... Instead he has a pretty lackluster 16-12 record and seemed to come up short in all of the biggest fights of his career.
shinobi
4/21/07 2:23:50AM
As of late there are some fighters i think aren't doing as well as they used to. Wanderlei Silva has seem to have hit a rut, and Fedor. He continues to fight lesser opponents that aren't challenging, how does hunt earn a shot at his belt after losing? I love Fedor, but i think he needs to fight some contenders again.

But onto the actual topic, i believe we all expected more out of Forrest Griffin, love the guy but cant seem to figure out what's going on with him. He goes on this meteoric rise and loses to Jardine, who i agree is good, but Forrest should have known better than to stand and trade with him after being rocked.
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/21/07 2:27:02PM
David Lousieau
Rush
4/21/07 4:15:09PM

Posted by nate22

Talent starts diminishing when you lose to Matt Hughes

Unless your name is GSP.
Sopena66669
4/24/07 12:51:54AM
Defineatly go with Vitor on this one
skiba97
4/24/07 10:41:22AM
Id go with vitor or randleman. While randlemans with the camp hes at now, i cant see him ever really getting much better, but i hope he realises he needs to broaden his game and gets some new trainers eventually. As for vitor, he just hasnt looked into the game for a while now, which it totally understandable with what happened to his sister ect. His win in cage rage on saturday was very desicive though, hopefully now theyv caught the guy who took his sister and thats getting put to rest we'll see vitor back to his best before long. Also, bj penn. If he could just apply himself and get his cardio up he could definatly dominate the lw divison. Id also like to see him have the cardio to go 5 rounds and get a rubber match with hughes or a rematch with st peirre.

Ive just actually read through this thread, and realised ive pretty much copied what other people have said, so sorry, but i agree with most of whats been said here already.
PITBULL2
4/24/07 11:32:05AM
Vitor for sure, but I'd definitely like to add Cheick Kongo to the list. Vitor was good at one point, but Kongo just plain sucks. He sucks, but he has so much potential. He's got a great frame, but needs to work out his legs big time. He also needs to improve his punching and takedown defense.

Honestly, I see a monster in Kongo if he actually could train right.
Lay_N_Pray
4/24/07 7:30:33PM
Kongo is a good one as is the Crow, I think they are both untapped potential.

I'm going to say for me it is Nick Diaz. He drives me insane cause if he would just shut up and fight and focus he can do what he did to Gomi to almost anyone.

He has better striking then he shows and if he really concentrated he could shred people up on the ground.

Diaz was a guy I always saw as being a threat to Hughes, GSP, Penn, any of them, but he seems to continue to not care.
Pages: [1] 2