The MW Division and JDS' win

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The MW Division and JDS' win
Boston617808
8/11/10 9:18:43PM
I don't think Chael should get an automatic rematch. The automatic rematches are mostly for really close decisions, (Machida/Shogun) or fights that end in controversy. Chael tapped. He lost. I say give it to Vitor and let Chael fight Okami. If Bisping beats Akiyama, then have Chael VS Bisping as the number one contender.

JDS showed me a lot during his fight with Big Country. Mainly that he doesn't keep his hands up at all. Or at least didn't in that fight. I was sitting there yelling at the TV for him to put his hands up. Even worse is that he leads with a left jab on almost all of his exchanges/combos, which leaves his jaw wide open for a right hook or overhand right. The kind of punch that most fighters live on. I wouldn't have been surprised at all if Big COuntry KO'd him. THankfully he has a good chin. If Cain or Brock land with a heavy right or even Carwin, then I'm afraid that it's lights out for Cigano. BTW I am a big fan of his. The fight also showed me that he has grown a lot mentally. He had Country hurt in the first round. Roy was almost out. JDS rushed him and went for the finish, He couldn't get it right away and then he backed off some. He knew that if he blew out his arms then he would of been in big trouble against Country, if it hit the mat. I think it was a smart move by JDS. Not the most popular, but the smartest. He's definitely maturing a lot in the Octagon.

cowcatcher
8/11/10 9:50:45PM

Posted by Boston617808

Even worse is that he leads with a left jab on almost all of his exchanges/combos

Jackelope
8/11/10 9:56:36PM
Leading with a jab isn't a bad thing dude. Hooks and overhands are much shorter range than jabs are on top of being slower than a jab. Besides that, someone who has refined boxing like JDS does will protect their chin with their shoulder while throwing a hook and will also throw the hook whilst offsetting their foot work so as to keep their head off line. It's about the safest form of offense you can possibly muster and the counter for a jab is actually a jab (not an overhand or a hook) if you're both orthodox.

cowcatcher
8/11/10 10:58:12PM

Posted by Jackelope

Leading with a jab isn't a bad thing dude. Hooks and overhands are much shorter range than jabs are on top of being slower than a jab. Besides that, someone who has refined boxing like JDS does will protect their chin with their shoulder while throwing a hook and will also throw the hook whilst offsetting their foot work so as to keep their head off line. It's about the safest form of offense you can possibly muster and the counter for a jab is actually a jab (not an overhand or a hook) if you're both orthodox.

i figured a would suffice.

Jackelope
8/11/10 11:08:23PM

Posted by cowcatcher

LOL yeah it definitely did for me. Just wanted to be clear as to why that's not a bad thing so the OP would know I figured Duke schooled you right from the get go
ChrisSabal
8/11/10 11:31:12PM
Chael already fought Okami not too long ago. And Bisping is in no way ready for a title shot.
BeeR
8/12/10 6:06:05AM

And akiyama isnt in the picture at all.
cowcatcher
8/12/10 7:58:05AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by cowcatcher

LOL yeah it definitely did for me. Just wanted to be clear as to why that's not a bad thing so the OP would know I figured Duke schooled you right from the get go

im too pretty to get hit so i stayed on the grappling side of things at dukes more often than not, those dudes kick HARD, lol.

the fact is, the jab is the most effective standing handstrike in mma, boxing, whatever. IMO its WAY underused in mma and some guys would really benefit from throwing it more often. to me bj penn is a great example of a guy that uses the jab really effectively, and his is STIFF, its not just a feeler. ill give the TS this, although i dont think this is what he was going for, but a lot of guys lazily paw their jabs out there and thats conducive to eat a hard counter or even getting KO'd. JDS is not a lazy paw kind of a guy though, that guy is a fantastic mma striker.
Jackelope
8/12/10 10:37:54AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by cowcatcher

im too pretty to get hit

chickmagnet
8/12/10 11:39:40AM
Most combos start with a Jab. Its better than pulling a Chuck Liddell and leading with an uppercut hah.

Lead jab sets up everything.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/12/10 2:42:42PM
I think the thing you should have touched on with JDS' win is that it answered next to nothing about how he's going to do against someone like Carwin, Lesnar, or Velasquez. As of right now, JDS has to still be the fourth best HW until we see how he does against one of those high class wrestlers.
prozacnation1978
8/12/10 8:20:31PM
With no main event germany. And belfort stating he aint waiting till march to face
Silva. I am predicting now. Main event will be sonnen vs belfort in germany
Boston617808
8/12/10 9:50:04PM
what's that for man? dont understand something?
Boston617808
8/12/10 9:55:37PM
I didnt say leading with a left jab is a bad thing to do. everyone leads with a jab. But the thing is he kept his hands down throughout the fight and kept leading with the left jab. If he were to do that against someone with more power than Country he could of been rocked bad.
And I never said akiyama was in the title picture. I said if Bisping beat him, he should fight another contender for the #1 contender match.
Sonnen probably won't get an automatic rematch. He's going to have to fight someone else before he does. Okami is ready for a shot. Vitor is ready but doesnt want to wait. Sonnen will fight either one them. If Bisping wins his fight with Akiyama, he'll fight the other one.
And this > doesnt make u cool
Boston617808
8/12/10 9:58:58PM
I think you misunderstood my post man. I didn't say it was wrong or unordinary to set up with a jab. I said that his hands were down all fight and it was worse that he was leading with the left jab b/c COuntry was looking for the big right. He kept doing the same thing and my point was if he fought someone with more power they could have put him down bad.
Boston617808
8/12/10 10:09:07PM

Posted by BeeR

And akiyama isnt in the picture at all.

Never said he was....
tmas
8/14/10 2:56:29PM
i think what your trying to say is it was getting predictable, and he needs to vary it up a little.

i was also saying hands up hands up lol.

but to be honest some of us strikers ( i consider myself a striker even though im a well rounded fighter) just dont like keeping our hands up im one of those guys that i can be really technical and keep em up but im most comfortable and effective when there down and im bobbing and weaving A. Silva style etc.

gotta do what your comfy with or you gonna get KTFO.....