LW Division Cross-Promotional Grand prix bracket

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » LW Division Cross-Promotional Grand prix bracket
Pookie
7/22/08 5:46:00AM
How well would the UFC do?
8 from UFC, 8 from other orgs.

Bj Penn
Mitsuhiro Ishida

Kenny Florian
Tatsuya Kawajiri

Eddie Alvarez
Tyson Griffin

Frank Edgar
Joachim Hansen

Nate Diaz
Takanori Gomi

Joe Stevenson
Shinya Aoki

Roger Huerta
Gesias Calvancante

Sean Sherk
Josh Thompson

Khaos
7/22/08 6:01:30AM
Here's what I think:

BJ Penn wins
Kenny Florian losses
Tyson Griffin losses
Frankie Edgar losses
Nate Diaz losses
Joe Stevenson losses
Roger Heurta losses
Sean Sherk wins

So not very well

Purge
7/22/08 8:28:31AM

Posted by Khaos

Here's what I think:

BJ Penn wins
Kenny Florian losses
Tyson Griffin losses
Frankie Edgar losses
Nate Diaz losses
Joe Stevenson losses
Roger Heurta losses
Sean Sherk wins

So not very well

EXACTLY, props
stock
7/22/08 9:02:11AM
clean sweep
Playground_Samurai
7/22/08 10:55:48AM
Penn over Ishida via round 1 (t)ko

Florian over Kawajiri via round 3 submission

Alvarez over Griffin via UD

Edgar over Hansen via UD

Gomi over Diaz via UD

Aoki over Stevenson via round 2 submission

Cavalcante over Huerta via round 2 (t)ko

Sherk over Thomson via UD
AchillesHeel
7/22/08 11:10:31AM
Lightweight is clearly a division where the UFC doesn't have all the top fighters.

Posted by Pookie

How well would the UFC do?

If it's a Grand Prix, the UFC would do well, because B.J. Penn would win it.

If it's a UFC-vs-the World card with the matchups you named, I think The World would win, but some of the matchups are one-sided. In a tournament, you would either seed the fighters or set the matchups randomly. In a UFC-vs-the World card, it would make more sense to try to balance the matchups.

Posted by gspfan

Alvarez over Griffin via UD

I think a Decision would favor Griffin. That is, if the fight went to the judges cards, it means the fight went the way Griffin wanted it to, and not the way Alvarez wanted it to. Of 16 fights, Alvarez has only gone to a Decision twice, and one of them is widely considered to be a Fight of the Year candidate.
Aaronno9
7/22/08 11:19:26AM
Bj Penn
Mitsuhiro Ishida = B.J penn TKO
Kenny Florian
Tatsuya Kawajiri = Kawajiri UD

B.J subs Kawajiri

Eddie Alvarez
Tyson Griffin = Alvarez UD
Frank Edgar
Joachim Hansen = Frankie Edgar TKO

Im going to go out on a limb, and say Frankie UD's Eddie

Nate Diaz
Takanori Gomi = Gomi KO
Joe Stevenson
Shinya Aoki = Joe Stevenson KO

Joe Stevenson with a sub.

Roger Huerta
Gesias Calvancante = Calvancante TKO
Sean Sherk
Josh Thompson = Sherk UD

Shaun Sherk UD

Penn subs frankie, Sherk UDs Joe, then Penn beats up Sherk again. Unless B.J has to fight twice in one night, then sherk might be able to decision him.

So i think it would end 4-4 at the beginning. But like Achilles said, since its a grand prix, the ufc would do awesome becouse Penn would win, and most likely face Sherk in the finals unless he had to beat him on the way.

Playground_Samurai
7/22/08 12:04:54PM

Posted by AchillesHeel
I think a Decision would favor Griffin. That is, if the fight went to the judges cards, it means the fight went the way Griffin wanted it to, and not the way Alvarez wanted it to. Of 16 fights, Alvarez has only gone to a Decision twice, and one of them is widely considered to be a Fight of the Year candidate.

You make a good point. However, while I believe Alvarez is just the overall more skilled fighter, I think Griffin is just extremely tough to finish. He is also no stranger to highly entertaining and competitive fights, having received 4 consecutive FOTN bonuses at one point. I think Alvarez/Griffin would have the potential to be just as great or even a better fight that Alvarez/Hansen.

But yea, I could also see Alvarez possibly getting the (t)ko.
mkiv9secsupra
7/22/08 12:31:17PM
BJ
Florian

Griffin
Edgar

Gomi
Stevenson

Calvacante
Sherk

BJ KOs Florian
Egdar goes to a dec with Tyson and wins again
Gomi KTFO Stevenson
Sherk dominates Calvacante on the ground for 3 rounds

BJ chokes out Edgar
Gomi vs Sherk is tough.....I think Gomi would TKO him later in the fight.

And of course we know how Gomi vs BJ went the first time but i think Gomi would be a lot more prepared but still lose....
AchillesHeel
7/22/08 1:11:47PM

Posted by gspfan

You make a good point. However, while I believe Alvarez is just the overall more skilled fighter, I think Griffin is just extremely tough to finish. He is also no stranger to highly entertaining and competitive fights, having received 4 consecutive FOTN bonuses at one point. I think Alvarez/Griffin would have the potential to be just as great or even a better fight that Alvarez/Hansen.

But yea, I could also see Alvarez possibly getting the (t)ko.

I've been a fan of Alvarez since his demolition of Aaron Riley at BodogFight (and that was at 170 lbs). I thought the UFC made a huge mistake letting him get away. Anyway... An interesting thing about a Griffin-Alvarez matchup is that Griffin hasn't fought a striker as good as Alvarez, and Alvarez hasn't fought a wrestler as good as Griffin.
tylerlee123
7/22/08 9:46:24PM
Penn
Florian
Alvarez
Hansen
Gomi
Aoki
Calvancante
Sherk