What distance do you run when you run?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What distance do you run when you run?
fullerene
4/10/08 3:45:52PM
For myself I have 3-4 types of running I do, depending on the weather, my conditioning and how much energy I have.

A 2-3 mile run, moderate pace
A 5 mile run, moderate pace
A 1.5-2 mile run, hard pace
The 2-3 mile run + 4-6 100 meter sprints at the end

Some day I'd lke to try running longer distances. Actually I'm sure I wouldn't like it which is why I don't do it, but I keep telling myself to try it (unsuccessfully).
Jackelope
4/10/08 3:54:35PM
I don't run too much anymore, but over the last 5 years I was running a shit ton. (This is while I was in the Army)

Our typical run week was 4 days running 4-5 miles each day, and then on Friday running a 7.2 mile run. The 4 mile pace was pretty moderate, but the Friday pace was generally 41-45 minutes for those 7.2 miles. Which was a pretty intense pace, especially since it was done at intervals and through hilled terrain.

Honestly I don't see much of a point in running long distance. I've done up to 12 mile runs weekly for a few months in there and I swear the only thing I ever got out of it was some beat up shins, enflamed knee joints and ripped calves. I would have foregone the ripped calves for healthy shins and knees any day of the week.

Now I run on the elliptical at my gym and stay away from running on hard surfaces when I do go out and do sprints and such. My knees and shins feel a lot better, and cardio wise I'm doing just as good.

In summary it looks like you've got a good program going for yourself, but all in all running long distances on hard surfaces is inadvisable from my standpoint
Kracker_Jap
4/10/08 6:38:20PM
I start 4 min jog than walk 2 min I do this till I don't feel old (Warmed up)

then I sprint 3 min walk 1 min

the last 5 min I super sprint 1 min walk 30 sec

each season last about 30-45 min 4-5 time a week

my secret is mY Addidas bounce shoes,

bayonetxwork
4/10/08 7:31:33PM
I don't do that much long distance running flat. I guess if you add up what I do, it's a pretty good distance, just with hills, bleachers, and sprints combined into it.

1. run 1/2 mile
2. sprint 1/2 mile (sprint straight aways, jog turns)
3. I'm not exact how many sets of bleachers we have at my school, but up and down all of them.
4. then back to the track for another 1/2 mile
5. repeat until I can't move.

I do no breaks or walking, just jog at a slower pace so my body recovers while its still working, just not as hard.
CactusBob
4/10/08 7:44:46PM
I run 1.8 kilometers on monday, wednesday, and friday mornings in about 7:30. For those yanks on here, thats a mile and 600 feet
On weekends, I run in the arboretum (sp) at my school. Not sure the distance, but it is a good 20-30 minutes depending on the weather and terrain. I too am not a fan of those long runs. Stamina can be achieved by shorter runs just as well in my opinion, but you have to beat your knees for it.

I have my own question. When do people prefer to run? I run first thing in the morning after some good stretching just to get it out of the way. I am not fond enough of running to put in later in the day to "look forward" to it.
Pookie
4/10/08 8:05:45PM
4.22 miles about 2-3 days a week with 3-4 layers on usually.
Personally i prefer hard surfaces to that of a treadmill... for some reason its just easier for me. I like scenery i guess.
iwannabesedated
4/10/08 8:42:07PM
Depends on how long the cops are chasing me for..
bayonetxwork
4/10/08 10:16:54PM

Posted by Pookie
Personally i prefer hard surfaces to that of a treadmill... for some reason its just easier for me. I like scenery i guess.

Hard services are always easier because when you press down on the ground, it rebound(pushes you up) with more force than softer surfaces. Thats why if you want a real workout, trying running on the beach. You'll totally kill your calfs beyond belief.
The_Notorious_ZIG
4/11/08 2:44:52PM
I see more benefits in sprinting than in long distance running. I'll usually warm up with a moderate 1 mile run then go into 50 yard sprint intervals finishing up with a few 100 yard sprints.
Every once in a while I try and see how fast I can run 3 miles....but really anything more than that is a waste in my opinion and like one poster said can cause gradual damage over time.
I can't do treadmills... drives me crazy......gotta be outside.
danny81
4/11/08 4:02:54PM
i sprint 3 minutes rest 1 sprint 3 then rest one sprint 3. i do this to immitate boxing rounds
Rush
4/11/08 4:58:07PM
If I run short distances I go from 1-5 km at a time at a pace between 3.5 - 4 min per kilometre.

If I run long distances they are 10-35 km at a pace of around 5 min per kilometre. I rarely run for over 3 hours straight.

This is only standard running, outside on pavement or grass. It does not include my stair running, which I really don't consider running per se. Also, I do not run on treadmills or elliptical trainers that often. I find that they do not improve my running at all. I only use them when I am recovering from an injury (elliptical) or if I want to do inclines and don't have a hill nearby (treadmill)

Also, I want to add that if your knees, toes and/or shins are hurting when you run (short or long distances) you might need to reconsider your running technique, your streching regime and/or footwear.
Jackelope
4/12/08 5:36:02PM

Posted by Rush

Also, I want to add that if your knees, toes and/or shins are hurting when you run (short or long distances) you might need to reconsider your running technique, your streching regime and/or footwear.

Running technique, stretching and footwear are definitely important things to be concerned with while running. Unfortunately running in packs in tight formation like in the Army the running technique isn't exactly something you can have full control over.

Then again, certain people are more prone to certain injuries. There may be circumstances in each case, and no matter how you break it down repeatedly banging your shins and knees by running on hard surfaces for long distances is bad for your joints if you have pre-existing problems or a certain body composition.

Here is an article on distance running with prior injuries- http://www.pacesetters.com.my/resource/articles/wc_knees.htm

I'm not trying to say your advice isn't good here, Rush. I think it's important for both sides to be heard out, though.

There are people who's skeletal structure and/or muscular build or general tendon tightness dictate that they should not run distance. This is something that can be overcome by physical therapy in some cases, but for others it's completely irreversible. If someone was training for MMA (since this forum IS named MMA Training) I would say that distance running is easily replaced by another exercise.

The benefits of distance running for those who do have a healthy body composition with no prior knee, ankle, or hip injuries is the building of muscles and ligaments in and around the knee joint for stability. Which is very nice, but again... it can be accomplished by other means as well.

For someone training in MMA I'd always be concerned about leg problems simply because the shins are constantly being worked in a kickboxing environment, and as many of you well know training against leg submissions is always rough on the joints and tendons, too.
Rush
4/12/08 8:03:43PM
Fair enough. My comment wasn't directed at anyone specifically. I can sympathize with running in the Army though. Anything that I have ever heard about the Army tells me that they don't pay too close attention to smaller details about fitness training.

I want to elaborate on my comment though.

Speaking from experience, I used to have sore knees and toes after running anything over 8 km. I then discovered that mainstream shoes (like Nike, Reebok, addidas, etc) were not the best shoes for me. I discovered that I pronate and my feet are quite wide. Therefore, I need a wide shoe and one that offers more support to prevent over pronation. I don't buy any shoes unless they are made by New Balance, Saucony, etc. I've never had a problem since and I have ran a marathon. (I also want to add that I have had prior knee injuries, before I started running. In fact, I got into running whilst recovering from a knee injury sustained in judo.)

Most running related injuries (shin splints, patellar tendinitis, IT band syndrome, etc) can be prevented by proper stretching and appropriate footwear. I understand that some people are prone to certain injury, but I think this is related more to improper body movement (which has become habit) and what I mentioned above. I can't even begin to count the number of people that I've heard complaining about running related injuries that do not use proper technique.

I had a friend that also ran a marathon. He is in good shape, but he has bad running technique. My wife and I called him the dinosaur because you could hear the thumping of his feet as he ran. Well, he ran a marathon and had major knee problems.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on running, but I have been running for over 10 years and have even ran a few races. In that time I have learned a lot about running and feel like I can provide a pretty knowledgeable opinion.

Regarding MMA and ligament and tendon strength. Any impact training (running, kicking a bag, jumping, etc) if done properly, will increase your tendon and ligament strength.
Jackelope
4/13/08 2:48:53AM
Cool, so we're on the same page. I definitely agree with what you're saying, I just want it to be clear that for some folks it can be bad for you. Even most doctors are on the fence about certain aspects of running.

I swear by New Balance as well. Brooks is another shoe company that makes a good running shoe, too.
jgtribbett
4/13/08 3:33:45AM
i love adidas for wide feet
Rush
4/13/08 10:06:31AM

Posted by Jackelope

Even most doctors are on the fence about certain aspects of running.

Well, even doctors recommended smoking at one point in time.