What to DISLIKE about BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What to DISLIKE about BJ Penn
Next Page »
Pskinner_mma314
8/20/08 5:12:50AM
1st thing you think about when you here BJ Penn.........

UFC Veteran/Legend/World Class Jiu Jitsu/ Ever Improving striking.............

Selfish anyone?

What I have seen out of him.......remember i am a big fan of BJ, but losing repect for him........is that he is only taking fights that are on the upside for him, he won't just take a title defense or fight another up and coming WW which I think he should before he "deserves" a shot at GSP. BJ only takes the fights that BJ wants, not like GSP, Anderson, (anyone they will)Forrest, or Nog will do. He just wants to do what he wants to do, and coming from a rich family and not having to fight to make a living, he basically says gimme who I want or I'm gonna get bored and go fight for someone else.

Pulver was the closest I can say to the best LW in the worldwhen they fought the 2nd time, and BJ dominated him, but then Jens also got KO'd by an almost knobody at the time(joe Lauzon), I think Pulver is a lil past his prime and 8 times out of 10(in his prime), Pulver beats BJ.

Don't get off topic with criticism, just gimme ur thoughts on BJ and his as of late selfishness
Aether
8/20/08 6:31:25AM
"Pulver was the best I can say to the best LW in the world, and BJ dominated him yes, but Jens also got KO'd by an almost knobody at the time, I think Pulver is a lil past his prime and 8 times out of 10, Pulver beats BJ."

Sorry but that quote right there... well first off the beginning of the sentence I can't even understand, but secondly I think that's a pretty insane claim to make given how their recent fight went. Evidence suggests that BJ would actually be the one to beat Pulver 8 times out of 10. Maybe even more like 9/10.

Your points about him not wanting certain fights, I don't really see that happening. He wants to challenge himself and avenge his only unavenged loss(other than machida, that fight is obviously not happening again though), it's understandable that he would want to fight GSP. I think any fighter would want to fight the only guy that ever beat him unavenged. It's not like he's refusing fights, he just wants to challenge himself and avenge his loss. If he can do that WHILE defending the lightweight belt then I see no problem with it. If he can't do both then he needs to pick one or the other and an interim title can be set up at lightweight and the world keeps spinning.

I get sort of what you're saying but he's not refusing fights, he's just asking for fights that he thinks will be the most challenging. Who wouldn't want to challenge themselves? He's proven he's championship material in both divisions so he should be put up against fighters that are on his level. That basically means GSP.
Aether
8/20/08 6:42:11AM
I think it's a lot more about cockiness than it is about selfishness. He believes (rightly so in most people's opinions) that there really isn't a real challenge for him at lightweight and he would much rather take the challenge of fighting GSP than to fight a fight he is expected to win. I don't think it's a matter of selfishness, but I see what you're getting at. The thing is if you're cocky and what you're saying is true it might be annoying to a lot of people, but it doesn't make you wrong. He really seems to be as good as he believes he is and wants to fight the best.
rabbit915
8/20/08 9:11:21AM
I cant stand the fact that he jumps weight classes all the time. Stick with one until you clear it out. He needs at least two more title defenses before he starts to look to move up.
dannyfrank
8/20/08 9:13:12AM
i think that BJ needs to loose a couple of fights so he can bring himself back down to earth. seriously, hes his own biggest fan. its sick
AchillesHeel
8/20/08 10:21:31AM
B.J. Penn? I'll tell ya what I dislike about B.J. Penn...

I don't like that B.J. Penn can't fight JZ Calvancante, Shinya Aoki, Joachim Hansen, Takanori Gomi, and Eddie Alvarez.

I don't like that B.J. Penn lives in Hawaii and I don't.

I don't like that B.J. Penn's rematch with GSP will be delayed. I might be mollified by the fact that he could fight Kenny Florian instead, but I'm going to sulk until it's official.

And I hate that he can do that silly, surfer-dude hand-sign and make it look natural...

What an a-hole.
wiggum
8/20/08 11:02:29AM
heres the thing...bj is a competitor and he competes at fighting...when you are a competitor and have that drive, you only want to challenge yourself against the best....titles really mean nothing to those types of people, because just cuz you have a title doesnt always mean your the best...when matt serra had the title, did people honestly believe he was the best 170lber in the world?....no...bj is just trying to do what anybody in his shoes would wish they could do and thats dominate mma....what would be more appealing to you, fighting kenny florian to once again prove to the world that your the best at 155 (and thats no knock on kenflo) or fight gsp and reach even a higher degree of legendary status than he already is...bj can do what he wants because he's got the physical attributes to do so...and with having money it only allows him to say no to somewhat meaningless fights and gimme paycheck title defenses and allows him to actually fight in meaningful fights..... say what you want but youd be a liar if you said that you wouldnt want the same.....cockiness shmockiness, if your not cocky in this game then your not in the game....we see ansderson silva jumping up and down in weight, and doing his little dances at the end of ko's, but i dont see a thread on this subject about him??......im glad we have bj penn cuz his fights are always a blasty blast to watch
Aaronno9
8/20/08 11:11:01AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

I think Pulver is a lil past his prime and 8 times out of 10, Pulver beats BJ.

Trapt1nw0nder
8/20/08 11:21:53AM
BJ PENN is the man....Thats what i LOVE about my 2 favorite fighters...Nick Diaz and BJ Penn......I love their confidence...its not being cocky,they are just too honest for their own good.

Whats wrong with BJ Penn wanting to fight GSP?(what many people believe is the best in the world in his weight class)...If he isnt deserving or isnt good enough,then let GSP try to prove him wrong...I believe BJ is the best LW and WW in the world and we would all love to see that rematch..

If he has was "raised with a silver spoon in his mouth"...then all the props to him for sticking with what he loves and being the best at it...
The_Italian_Stallion
8/20/08 11:39:44AM
You know what I hate about BJ? His perfectly spherical baby head...

But in all seriousness I absolutely can't stand the blood licking thing! It peeves me to the core every time I see it. All the people who are whining about Brock's little lasso dance need to shut their mouths because I bet you 80 percent of them have BJ in their top 3 favorites and yet they have nothing to say about his disgusting little celebration thing.

Also I hate his cockiness and selfishness but I understand that's his thing in marketing or whatever.

I hated BJ so much before I bought and watched TUF 5 but since then I actually can stand him most of the time. (Minus the stupid blood thing) One of my favorite moments of TUF 5 was when he impersonated Wang crying... it makes me laugh every time I think of it.

I still don't like him, but I definetly respect him now...
wiggum
8/20/08 11:51:06AM
ill say it again....in this game, if your not cocky your not in the game....theres different levels tho....confident cocky which bj has is something everybody needs....the blood licking thing is warriors spirit shining thru after he's slayed his enemy, in fact i find it quite intrigueing and respect him even more for doing it....in comparison to the brock lesnar thing, brock was blatently disrepesctful of his opponenet, there was not honor in his thing and to be honest i was kinda weirded out, call me a bit of a homophobe, but doing the lasso motion while wrestling around with a half naked guy...errrr...come on brock......but back to the subject, even if ya did or didnt like the brock thing, it wasnt the first time we've seen disrespectful actions and it wont be the last, adreneline does crazy things....but to compare to bj?? does anybody honestly see bj ever doing something like that??...his actions are either to hype a fight or show warrior spirit, just like gsp and his "i wasnt impressed with your perfomance" when talking to hughes....but yet gsp is still one of the most respectful fighters and has the warrior spirit....cant just point fingers at one person, and everybody likes to hate on the best, thats why theres always gonna be bj hatin
warglory
8/20/08 12:21:39PM
I think Penn's case is more of UFC giving him blatant opportunity to basically do what he wants, because they know he is a talented fighter who will rake in the fans. Him fighting GSP would be awesome to see, but it puts many a fighter in both divisions at a disadvantage, because the likelihood of the titles being put on hold in order to compensate this fight is probably pretty high.

Penn is just a very confident, brash fellow. I don't think he is disrespectful.
Rush
8/20/08 12:28:50PM
Wanna know how I feel about BJ Penn?

Go to www.bjpenn.com for all the answers.
Naturaldisaster
8/20/08 1:32:40PM

Posted by Rush

Wanna know how I feel about BJ Penn?

Go to www.bjpenn.com for all the answers.

HAHAHA! priceless!
Franklinfan47
8/20/08 1:51:00PM
I think your definately right about him only taking fights that can benefit himself. The guy defends his title once then decides he doesnt want to fight at lw anymore. What happend to the integrity of the belt

AND

I definately agree that he should have to fight someone else at ww before he gets a shot at GSP, similar to Anderson Silva when he moved up. Personally, I think it would be great if he moved up and fought Hughes again first. It would have huge hype (each having won once), the trash talking would be unbelievable, and we would most likely get to see Hughes get smashed again.
That said, to say Jens would beat Penn 8 times out of 10 is just rediculous. I think Jens beats Penn maybe 1 time out of 100.
Rush
8/20/08 2:24:16PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

I think your definately right about him only taking fights that can benefit himself. The guy defends his title once then decides he doesnt want to fight at lw anymore. What happend to the integrity of the belt

But what other person or entity should he be thinking of when he takes his fights?
Franklinfan47
8/20/08 2:34:47PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Franklinfan47

But what other person or entity should he be thinking of when he takes his fights?

The fans. The fans are the whole reason he even has a job. And while I can't speak for everyone, I think alot of fans would like to see a solid lw champion for a little while, including multiple title defenses. There was no champ for the longest time then the new champ tested for roids. I'd personally like to see some dam integrity brought back to that belt.

We all know Penn and GSP will fight again sometime down the road, but for now, can't Penn put his pride aside for a bit and stay at lw while the ufc builds a solid division around him? Just one fans opinion.

Edit: and also, he should consider the opinion of the organization that made him a star. I'm sure the ufc doesnt want one guy holding two of their belts and slowing up the title fight process, not to mention, deterring from their own visions for the direction of the company.
jocka
8/20/08 2:37:41PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

actually he never defended his title, he won the interim title against stevenson and then got the real tittle against Sherk. But i do agree that he needs to defend his title multiple times before moving up
kaduey
8/20/08 2:50:02PM

1st thing you think about when you here BJ Penn.........

UFC Veteran/Legend/World Class Jiu Jitsu/ Ever Improving striking.............

Selfish anyone?

What I have seen out of him.......remember i am a big fan of BJ, but losing repect for him........is that he is only taking fights that are on the upside for him, he won't just take a title defense or fight another up and coming WW which I think he should before he "deserves" a shot at GSP. BJ only takes the fights that BJ wants, not like GSP, Anderson, (anyone they will)Forrest, or Nog will do. He just wants to do what he wants to do, and coming from a rich family and not having to fight to make a living, he basically says gimme who I want or I'm gonna get bored and go fight for someone else.

Pulver was the closest I can say to the best LW in the worldwhen they fought the 2nd time, and BJ dominated him, but then Jens also got KO'd by an almost knobody at the time(joe Lauzon), I think Pulver is a lil past his prime and 8 times out of 10(in his prime), Pulver beats BJ.

Don't get off topic with criticism, just gimme ur thoughts on BJ and his as of late selfishness

You honestly believe BJ is the way he is because he comes from a rich family. That's straight ignorance your talking, from which you probably only heard Sean sherk say so you jump to conclusions.

Secondly, BJ just dominated Joe Stevenson and Sherk. These two guys would handle Pulver at present time the same way Faber did.

Lastly, BJ isn't demanding he fights GSP or else. He's only expressing his desire to fight another P4P great that beat him in a controversial decision. BJ left the UFC the first time around becasue of contractual disputes, like other fighters have in the past (eg. Randy Couture, twice).

How can you claim to be a BJ fan but are losing respect for him when he has always been this way?

By the way, if the UFC gives BJ Florian I guarantee he'll take it.

mikevolz
8/20/08 2:50:07PM
i think its funny you call the guy greedy and selfish, when he is trying to move up in weight to fight what a lot of people consider the pound for pound king.

do you listen to yourself? if he was fighting 'up and comers' we'd be talking about how hes ducking GSP.

you have a 155 lbser, who's hellbent on fighting the best fighters in the world at 170, who potentially matchup the worst for him as any fighter out there?

what a selfish prick.
gsquat
8/20/08 3:15:27PM

Posted by mikevolz

i think its funny you call the guy greedy and selfish, when he is trying to move up in weight to fight what a lot of people consider the pound for pound king.

do you listen to yourself? if he was fighting 'up and comers' we'd be talking about how hes ducking GSP.

you have a 155 lbser, who's hellbent on fighting the best fighters in the world at 170, who potentially matchup the worst for him as any fighter out there?

what a selfish prick.

Word

TS: You're right in that he's not going to fight anyone. He only wants to fight the best so he can be the best. Thats not selfish or conceeded... thats a warrior spirit. Even if he was a little full of himself, doesn't he deserve it?

800th post!
LionHeartWarchild
8/20/08 3:25:53PM
While I think that Penn is a tremendously gifted fighter, I must agree that his cocky attitude does rub me the wrong way. Its great to be confident in yourself, but when you're claiming you're going to take the WW title, move up and clean out the MW division, and have called out Wanderlei Silva, I think your ego has derailed to mythical proportions.

The other thing I can't stand is how there's such a double standard for Penn. He can hold a choke longer on Pulver and walk away unpunished while Sobral was thrown out of the UFC for the same act. Everyone talks about how "This fighter is so disrespectful BLAH BLAH BLAH" but Penn's said his share of disrespectful things and again, nobody says anything. People also look down upon fighter's for their disrespectful post-fight antics, one in particular would be Lenar's celebration after defeating Herring, and yet its ok for BJ to run over to a half dazed opponent getting checked out by a doctor, dip his hand into their blood, and run away licking it off of his hand??? I just don't get.
Pskinner_mma314
8/20/08 3:49:57PM

You honestly believe BJ is the way he is because he comes from a rich family. That's straight ignorance your talking, from which you probably only heard Sean sherk say so you jump to conclusions.

I've never jumped to conclusions on anything in my life, (its a personal choice, u gotta commit to it). So since you just did, I'd like to say that I did my research, and BJ does come from a rich family, plus he owns his own gym so, really he doesn't HAVE to fight, hes got money. Besides I wouldn't listen to anything that roid freak Sherk has to say anyway.

I do respect the fact that he wants to challenge the top fighters in the world to prove he's the best but like has been brought up time and time again is that he only won the interim title and then got the real one, both in dominating fashion i agree. But he hasn't even defended his title yet, and whos to say that Florian couldn't beat him? Its not likely, but it definitely could happen. GSP has defended his title, so I think that is a bit unfair to Florian and the rest of the fellow LW cause now they have to put their title dreams on hold so the champ can do whatever he wants.

So I think BJ Penn needs to PROVE that he is the best LW in the world, and IMO, to do that he needs at least 1 title defense before I respect him turnin his shoulder to a division that he helped build.
The_Ho_Bag
8/20/08 4:21:12PM
he looks like a buddha doll =)

other then that i like him
holt8081
8/20/08 4:22:02PM
sounds like a bunch off haters
bj already beat Gomi
how is he selfish, its not his job to think about other fighters thats joe silvas job.
chitown97
8/20/08 4:49:49PM
I don't understand what people want. I enjoy watching MMA, especially when I get to see two of the best going at it. I thank BJ for approaching the fans with this fight. I would rather watch GSP vs BJ then GSP vs Alves (possibly) and BJ vs Florian. If anything it would stir the pot a little more in one of the thick divisions that the UFC does have going for them. And by the way, even if BJ did approach Dana with this fight, he still has to approve it, so BJ isn't the only who wants it.
kaduey
8/20/08 6:00:20PM

I've never jumped to conclusions on anything in my life, (its a personal choice, u gotta commit to it). So since you just did, I'd like to say that I did my research, and BJ does come from a rich family, plus he owns his own gym so, really he doesn't HAVE to fight, hes got money. Besides I wouldn't listen to anything that roid freak Sherk has to say anyway.

I do respect the fact that he wants to challenge the top fighters in the world to prove he's the best but like has been brought up time and time again is that he only won the interim title and then got the real one, both in dominating fashion i agree. But he hasn't even defended his title yet, and whos to say that Florian couldn't beat him? Its not likely, but it definitely could happen. GSP has defended his title, so I think that is a bit unfair to Florian and the rest of the fellow LW cause now they have to put their title dreams on hold so the champ can do whatever he wants.

So I think BJ Penn needs to PROVE that he is the best LW in the world, and IMO, to do that he needs at least 1 title defense before I respect him turnin his shoulder to a division that he helped build.

Everyone knows BJ comes from a rich family and runs his own gym(as do many top level fighters by the way), the ingorance I called you on was the fact you blame his wealthy upbringing on why his attitutde is the way it is.
jocka
8/20/08 7:14:21PM

Posted by LionHeartWarchild

While I think that Penn is a tremendously gifted fighter, I must agree that his cocky attitude does rub me the wrong way. Its great to be confident in yourself, but when you're claiming you're going to take the WW title, move up and clean out the MW division, and have called out Wanderlei Silva, I think your ego has derailed to mythical proportions.

The other thing I can't stand is how there's such a double standard for Penn. He can hold a choke longer on Pulver and walk away unpunished while Sobral was thrown out of the UFC for the same act. Everyone talks about how "This fighter is so disrespectful BLAH BLAH BLAH" but Penn's said his share of disrespectful things and again, nobody says anything. People also look down upon fighter's for their disrespectful post-fight antics, one in particular would be Lenar's celebration after defeating Herring, and yet its ok for BJ to run over to a half dazed opponent getting checked out by a doctor, dip his hand into their blood, and run away licking it off of his hand??? I just don't get.

when did he say that he would clean out the ww and mw then go on and beat wanderlai i would love to see that interview you have a link??
Diamondback2
8/20/08 8:17:41PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by Franklinfan47

actually he never defended his title, he won the interim title against stevenson and then got the real tittle against Sherk. But i do agree that he needs to defend his title multiple times before moving up

When did BJ say we did not want to fight at LW? I'm more or less remember him saying on a ton of occasions he wants to hold both belts at once and defend them both.

And for reference he has defended the LW title, just not the WW one. The fight with Joe was for the the belt. The fight with Sean was a title defense. Im surprised you come to sites like this, and would not know something basic like that.....

Let the GSP/Penn II happen. Who knows if both these fighters will still be at their current level for another year. Shit happens. Who knows, GSP could break a leg and never be the same. Or BJ could go into his no-cardio routine again. I doubt either would happen, but you never know.

Aether
8/20/08 8:40:43PM
I find it hilarious that people are saying BJ is selfish and greedy for wanting to challenge himself against the best fighters and advance his career instead of catering to their personal whims.

Some of the posts in this thread are the absolute height of hypocrisy.

posterA: BJ is a selfish baby for thinking about himself and taking fights that benefit him!

posterB: Well who should he be thinking about and trying to benefit if not himself?

posterA: ME!

Pages: [1] 2 3