Disgusted by Dan

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Disgusted by Dan
« Previous Page | Next Page »
moob
7/12/09 2:04:30PM
Rogan: Did you know he was out before you landed this one?

Henderson: (laughs) Normally I'm not that way in fights, I know if the guy's out, I tend to stop - I knew I hit him out and I think that one was just to shut him up a little bit. (laughs)

If this was the other way round, and Bisping did and said what Henderson did, I'm 100% confident there would be plenty of posters on here saying what I'm saying.
DevonFoxy
7/12/09 2:22:06PM

Posted by moob

Henderson: (laughs) Normally I'm not that way in fights, I know if the guy's out, I tend to stop - I knew I hit him out and I think that one was just to shut him up a little bit. (laughs)

If this was the other way round, and Bisping did and said what Henderson did, I'm 100% confident there would be plenty of posters on here saying what I'm saying.

Link

As for the final leaping right hand of the contest – delivered by Henderson after Bisping had already been clearly knocked unconscious – White said he did not feel there was any ill intentions on the 38-year-old's part, even after he said he threw the punch on purpose as a means of silencing the Brit's ever-present trash talk. "[Henderson] said he was joking," White said. "I didn't think it was funny either, but Dan Henderson's a good guy."
imanidiot777
7/12/09 2:36:34PM

Posted by moob

Could you imagine if Brock did that Mir? People would be screaming all over these forums.
SmileR
7/12/09 2:41:34PM

Posted by moob

Its not the first time someone has trash talked, been KO'd and then the winner says I did it to shut him up. People are blowing it out of proportion.
All the way through this argument people have been talking about the right thing to do and respect.
Its not respectful to trash talk for every fight you have, its not respectful to to bad mouth every aspect of someone's personality. Its not right to do half the things Bisping has done and yet people haven't brought them up.
The argument can't be made about respect and the right and wrong thing to do if the person people are defending constantly breaks the points that are being made.

Long story short Bisping was on the business end of a karma beatdown. Everyone knew it was coming sooner or later and for Hendo to be the one to give it just proves how his trash talking effects and annoys the other professionals around him.
Dan Henderson is one of if not the most respectful guy in MMA. I honestly think people are over reacting about this. He got clocked with 1 extra shot!
Yeah it was a power shot and yeah Hendo could have walked away but he's lucky he wasn't fighting a guy like Robbie Lawler.
If he hadn't have trash talked against the guy and I'm talking personality wise here not skill set maybe Hendo wouldn't have thrown that last shot, but what goes around comes around and if you make something personal the fight can take on a whole different feeling. Martial arts or not.
tdietel01
7/12/09 2:54:02PM
those kind of extra shot are considered acceptable in felony fights or street fights, not in mma. If you know the guy is out you walk away, end of story.
moob
7/12/09 3:06:48PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by moob

Its not the first time someone has trash talked, been KO'd and then the winner says I did it to shut him up. People are blowing it out of proportion.
All the way through this argument people have been talking about the right thing to do and respect.
Its not respectful to trash talk for every fight you have, its not respectful to to bad mouth every aspect of someone's personality. Its not right to do half the things Bisping has done and yet people haven't brought them up.
The argument can't be made about respect and the right and wrong thing to do if the person people are defending constantly breaks the points that are being made.

Long story short Bisping was on the business end of a karma beatdown. Everyone knew it was coming sooner or later and for Hendo to be the one to give it just proves how his trash talking effects and annoys the other professionals around him.
Dan Henderson is one of if not the most respectful guy in MMA. I honestly think people are over reacting about this. He got clocked with 1 extra shot!
Yeah it was a power shot and yeah Hendo could have walked away but he's lucky he wasn't fighting a guy like Robbie Lawler.
If he hadn't have trash talked against the guy and I'm talking personality wise here not skill set maybe Hendo wouldn't have thrown that last shot, but what goes around comes around and if you make something personal the fight can take on a whole different feeling. Martial arts or not.

There were a plethora of threads on here pre-fight discussing the trash talk and the expected crowds of contributors voicing their opinions, time and time again, on what they thought of Bisping for it.

You'd think he was the only fighter to trash talk.

Regardless of any fighter talking trash about their opponents, I retain my point that no one should deliberately beat down someone who's clearly (unless you are wearing a blindfold) unconscious and unable to defend himself - whether that be Bisping/Silva/Couture ad infinitum.

That one extra shot as you put it, was a 200+lb man coming down full force onto a guy's head which could have seriously injured him. People also refer to it as a split second - if you watch the replay, it's clear there were nearly 2 full seconds between the first punch landing and the follow up. You could also see Henderson looking closely at Bisping before he followed through. He knew he was out.

People can believe what they want about whether or not Henderson meant to do it, and provide excuses or quote what Dana White said (very good close personal friend of Hendersons) - for me, I'm convinced Dan meant it, and for that I've lost a lot of respect for him. It would be the same for any other fighter who did the same thing. End of story.
MMA4EVER
7/12/09 3:16:59PM
he kept goin till the ref stopped is not like he shoved the ref out of the way anfd hit bisping dan did nothing wrong keep goin till the ref stops it HENDO ALL THE WAY
george112
7/12/09 3:35:58PM
dan henderson did nothing wrong.he just did exactly what he said he was goin to do..shut him up with his fists..bisping nuthuggers are furious cause he got KTFO.but i kno if dan was the one who got knocked out an hit like that yall would be bragging on it like i am.

its FIGHTING! let it go...oooo and one more point. i truly believe that IF bisping hadnt talked so much b.s before the fight.i dont think that shot would have ever happened

just my thoughts
warglory
7/12/09 3:40:08PM

Posted by postman

I have a real hard time beliving that in less then one second Dan made the decesion to harm Bisping to "shut him up" I think looking back Dan knew he was out but the nature of the sport is to go in and be sure its finished. I think the Shut him up part was more just something Dan said to make it stick a little more.

On another note I'm pretty sure the UFC did do something to Dan after the fight that being hand him a check for 100,000 for KO of the night!

My thoughts exactly
GrandMaster313
7/12/09 4:12:46PM
I thought it was one of the Greatest KO's in the history of the UFC. I think people should stop crying over spilled milk.
MisterFreeze
7/12/09 4:25:41PM

What bothers me is that a martial artist chose to potentially damage someone in a contest because the opponent got under his skin. Without wanting to come across as melodramatic, he could have easily killed Bisping.

Thats ridiculous and simply not true. The human body can take a tremendous amount of abuse, it's actually quite difficult to kill someone with your fists unless there is a pre-existing condition, like a brain tumor. But if Bisping has a brain tumor he wouldn't be allowed to fight.

I believe you are completely over-reacting. As others have pointed out, fighters are supposed to fight until the ref tells them to stop. Dan stopped immediately when the ref jumped in.

This whole post is a non-issue because Dan did nothing wrong.

Why don't you complain about Cro Cops head kicks? There is no doubt Cro Cop generates much more force with his head kicks then Dan did with either of those punches.
Should Cro Cop being fined everytime he uses a head kick because he might "easily" kill his opponent with them?

Thats just a rhetorical question to illustrate a point, that when you turn mole hills into mountains, you raise all sorts of unnecessary issues.
randompunter
7/12/09 4:44:35PM
Nobody has a problem with Dan not stopping when he ko'd Bisping even tho he was out, everyone knows wait for the ref to stop the fight etc, the problem is that he said in his interview he intentially hit him after he knew he was ko'd. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being ignorant. The ufc/mma is trying to get promoted/sanctioned around the world and this is more fuel to the fire for boxing promoters/politicians to show that mma is a barbaric sport.
MisterFreeze
7/12/09 4:50:39PM

Posted by randompunter

Nobody has a problem with Dan not stopping when he ko'd Bisping even tho he was out, everyone knows wait for the ref to stop the fight etc, the problem is that he said in his interview he intentially hit him after he knew he was ko'd. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being ignorant. The ufc/mma is trying to get promoted/sanctioned around the world and this is more fuel to the fire for boxing promoters/politicians to show that mma is a barbaric sport.

MMA is a barbaric sport. And thats why we all love it.
CwB
7/12/09 5:01:53PM

Posted by george112

its FIGHTING! let it go...oooo and one more point. i truly believe that IF bisping hadnt talked so much b.s before the fight.i dont think that shot would have ever happened

I agree 100%

plus henderson isnt the first to land an extra shot and he wont be the last

he threw on extra punch

rampage threw 2 or 3 extra hits at wandy with ref around his waste

B.J. penn held his rear naked choke on jens pulver after jens tapped

when two people really dislike each other this will continue to happen
zephead
7/12/09 5:03:14PM
I see it this way. Dan has always been a respectful fighter. Bisping talked and talked and talked. He wouldn't shut up. He knew he was getting under Dans skin, said he knew he was but continued. Dan rocked his world, the ref didn't stop it and Dan preceded to rock is world again. Don't let your mouth right checks that your ass can't cash.
world_mma
7/12/09 6:05:53PM
Before I start...
I'm British and support Bisping
This said, I am intelligent enough to look at this with an unbiased eye.

We all have to understand that the growth of this sport into the mainstream is purely down to marketing. Can we get the wider world to believe that we are not all violent thugs who just scrap and watch other people fight?

Unlike a number of years ago, there can be no argument over the commitment and athletic ability of the participants. It is just down to the perception of the sport. Two points made in this thread hit right into this...

Trash talk..... as old as fighting itself. The fights have to be marketed and some trash-talk gives a fight more interest. Henderson and Bisping are fully aware of this and so the words that they both used pre-fight are part of the carefully orchestrated build up to the fight. There has been much much worse trash-talk than for this fight before. It's all part of the marketing.

Now.... the only way that this trash-talk can be justified is by the respect that fighters have for each other after the fight.

For the marketing of the sport Dan Henderson we all should agree he was wrong. As has been said, just the punch, then no problem. The talk after the fight (be it meant as a joke or not) is at best a tarnishing of the sport and at worst an absolute disgrace. Your individual view on each fighter will probably determine which side of that fence you are.

I lost a bit of respect for Dan but I'm sure he will still sleep at night. Don't even get me started on C.o.c.k Lesnar....

PS Did anyone see Dan go over to check if Bisping was ok after the knockout? At least tell me 'the most respectful and gentlemanly man in the UFC' did that......

mrsmiley
7/12/09 6:29:19PM

Posted by Pookie

Thats pretty funny, everybody at my place just busted up into laughter when he said the last was to shut him up.

Same here.

The way I see it,Karma can be a b($ch,and I think Bisping had this coming.
Better it happen sooner than later.
I could see the point more if the referee had stepped in,but he hadn't.
george112
7/12/09 6:34:47PM

Posted by world_mma

Before I start...
I'm British and support Bisping
This said, I am intelligent enough to look at this with an unbiased eye.

We all have to understand that the growth of this sport into the mainstream is purely down to marketing. Can we get the wider world to believe that we are not all violent thugs who just scrap and watch other people fight?

Unlike a number of years ago, there can be no argument over the commitment and athletic ability of the participants. It is just down to the perception of the sport. Two points made in this thread hit right into this...

Trash talk..... as old as fighting itself. The fights have to be marketed and some trash-talk gives a fight more interest. Henderson and Bisping are fully aware of this and so the words that they both used pre-fight are part of the carefully orchestrated build up to the fight. There has been much much worse trash-talk than for this fight before. It's all part of the marketing.

Now.... the only way that this trash-talk can be justified is by the respect that fighters have for each other after the fight.

For the marketing of the sport Dan Henderson we all should agree he was wrong. As has been said, just the punch, then no problem. The talk after the fight (be it meant as a joke or not) is at best a tarnishing of the sport and at worst an absolute disgrace. Your individual view on each fighter will probably determine which side of that fence you are.

I lost a bit of respect for Dan but I'm sure he will still sleep at night. Don't even get me started on C.o.c.k Lesnar....

PS Did anyone see Dan go over to check if Bisping was ok after the knockout? At least tell me 'the most respectful and gentlemanly man in the UFC' did that......

i dont agree with your post at all.an ill tell you why..

you said the punch was ok but the talk after wasnt.well....if i remember correctly bisping was the one doin all the trash talking..also if i remember correctly dan said he was just goin to shut him up with his fist..which he did with emphatic fashion.once again ITS FIGHTING!! so what if dan said that. if bisping wasnt talking so much **** before.(which by the way was ok with everyone).that punch would have never happened.Dan won get over it.he took his share of trash talk.let him deal out the little he deserves for beating bisping
Pskinner_mma314
7/12/09 6:39:10PM

ok i didnt wanna go through 3 pages to see if anyone thought of this one.................

but do u bash rampage for hittin wandy like 3 times while he was out.........WHILE the ref was tryin to push him off.

honestly i can't say anything bad about Dan, or agree with you, for the simple reason that i have never seen anyone be so emotional about 1 fighter doin this to another in any of these posts.

if thats the case there should be droves of posts for a bunch of different fights..

CC-Gonzaga
Leben-Santiago
Belcher-Santiago
Rampage-Wandy
Wandy-Jardine

c'mon man yeah he wound up on him hard again, but it didn't "tarnish the sport" or "bring mma back".

if anything Lesnars blatant, emphasis on BLATANT disrespect AFTER the fight is bad for the sport
world_mma
7/12/09 6:51:42PM

you said the punch was ok but the talk after wasnt.well....if i remember correctly bisping was the one doin all the trash talking..also if i remember correctly dan said he was just goin to shut him up with his fist..which he did with emphatic fashion.once again ITS FIGHTING!! so what if dan said that. if bisping wasnt talking so much **** before.(which by the way was ok with everyone).that punch would have never happened.Dan won get over it.he took his share of trash talk.let him deal out the little he deserves for beating bisping

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned why trash-talk and what you do after the fight is different.... try again.

Dan did trash-talk; he just isn't as good at it as Bisping. (Didn't count for much in the fight though...)

And, quick point of order; it's not fighting, it's the wonderful sport of MMA. Fighting is something that happens in a number of cities across the world after people have drunk too much beer. This is trying to be the biggest sport in the world according to Dana. If it wants that status it has to be marketable to a wider audience than just us. Dan's 'ill-thought-out' comments fuels the fire for the MMA haters.

You can lead a horse to water.......
george112
7/12/09 7:02:30PM

Posted by world_mma

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned why trash-talk and what you do after the fight is different.... try again.

Dan did trash-talk; he just isn't as good at it as Bisping. (Didn't count for much in the fight though...)

And, quick point of order; it's not fighting, it's the wonderful sport of MMA. Fighting is something that happens in a number of cities across the world after people have drunk too much beer. This is trying to be the biggest sport in the world according to Dana. If it wants that status it has to be marketable to a wider audience than just us. Dan's 'ill-thought-out' comments fuels the fire for the MMA haters.

You can lead a horse to water.......

point is dan didnt do anything wrong.prove my points wrong it doesnt bother me

let me clarify it again..

DAN DID NOTHING WRONG!

end of story
State_Champ
7/12/09 7:13:56PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Everyone is still MISSING the point. It isn't a problem that he kept going after him. The PROBLEM is that he admitted that he was just trying to get an extra shot in and knew he was out. If he would have just said I was fighting until the referee stopped it to make sure he didn't get up, I'm sure we wouldn't have this thread. The fact that he ADMITTED to trying to damage the guy more is what makes this sick. Henderson has no respect in my books, I hope Anderson Silva KO's him with a kick and then slams him until the referee gets there.

Moob is making the point as well, the problem is that he admitted that he knew Bisping was out and that he was just trying to shut him up some more.

Right. It's ok to punch a guy in the face when he is unconscious on his back as long as you don't admit "to trying to damage the guy more". If you say you did it because the ref wasn't stopping the fight then the victim probably suffers less damage
Bumpy
7/12/09 7:30:02PM
I did not see any thing wrong with it, many of times I have seen guys be out and get hit more than once in till the ref jumps in. The question is do you think he just admitted that for what ever reason but in all reality when the fight was going on his instincts took over and he just jumped on him like we have seen many of other fighters do in the past.
TimW001
7/12/09 7:39:21PM
Bisping was in no way close to serious injury. That's the bottom line. If you think those punches were brutal, go watch boxing, because you have no idea.

Aaronno9
7/12/09 8:34:32PM
Paint it whatever colour you want, It was still a scummy thing to do. The fact Hendo admitted after the fight he did it on purpose knowing full well Bisping was out cold..... I just dont see how you can respect anybody for that.

Fact of the matter is, Hendo is a favourite, Bisping is a heel. If it was the other way round, every American MMA forum would have at least one thread calling Mike a scumbag for doing it.

Also, LOL to the comment above this. You do realise the sheer size differance between a boxing glove and an MMA glove right? And that fact that having a 200 pound man leap into the air and smash you in the chin with said gloves on while your completely defenceless is probably a little more risky then getting hooked in a boxing match?
world_mma
7/12/09 8:39:00PM

Right. It's ok to punch a guy in the face when he is unconscious on his back as long as you don't admit "to trying to damage the guy more".

Yes. Absolutely right. That's the point. Because without those words no-one could prove intent.

A rather serious difference..... Intent to further damage an unconscious opponent can't really be argued as good for the sport.

Now, for the record, I am not convinced that Dan intentionally went out to hurt Bisping knowing he was unconscious. He really was making sure of the deserved win. His comments afterwards were exceedingly bad judgement on the spur of the moment from a guy who is hardly Joe Rogan in the one-liner department.

Anyone who thinks it is right to try and further damage an already unconscious opponent has serious issues.

PS I am not 'Disgusted by Dan', I am slightly disappointed in him.

PPS No-one has confirmed if Gentleman Dan went to Bisping afterwards or not..... I would hope he did.
Pookie
7/12/09 9:37:48PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by moob

Could you imagine if Brock did that Mir? People would be screaming all over these forums.

brock beat mir worse than that, he landed about 8 extra punches on the ground that were after mir stopped intelligently defending himself, 7 more than Dan and I havent seen a single post to back up what you just stated
grappler0000
7/12/09 9:40:53PM

Posted by TimW001

Bisping was in no way close to serious injury. That's the bottom line. If you think those punches were brutal, go watch boxing, because you have no idea.

Regardless of how you feel about Hendo landing that second shot, this statement is ridiculous. The punches were hard enough to knock him out cold...how much harder until they're brutal exactly? And, how is it that you know whether Bisping was close to serious injury or not? If you were the doctor that administered his post fight medical examination, I apologize for jumping the gun.
mentalcase
7/12/09 10:39:35PM
i thought it was funny

and its funny to see the deference between when hendo knocked renzo out he stopped immediately and sort of put his hand on him so see if he was ok

i guess you shouldnt talk **** about hendo
Rush
7/12/09 11:14:43PM
I cheered for the KO and I cheered louder for the follow-up shot. I don't think the fight could have ended a better way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4