Disgusted by Dan

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Disgusted by Dan
Next Page »
moob
7/12/09 11:53:26AM
First off, this is not a fighter bashing thread. I've always respected Dan Henderson and his achievements throughout his career.

I know this is not the first time any fighter has struck an opponent/continued to choke when he was clearly finished - Babalu being probably one of the most recent examples.

I really can't believe Dan did that to Bisping. Sure there was lots of trash talking and stuff before the fight - nothing new there however - but to actively try to harm your opponent when you know he is defenceless is inexcusable. Henderson didn't even try and excuse his actions either - which makes it all the more disgraceful - he actually thought it was funny he landed a full force, full body weight strike on Bisping when he was clearly unconscious.

I'm still struggling to believe this happened - I mean the guy has a long and distinguished career in MMA, is well respected in fighting circles and is normally a relatively well balanced character - I just can't figure it out.

What Henderson did could have seriously injured Bisping - permanently.

No doubt I will get flamed for this, but it needed to be said.

I really hope (perhaps they have already but I haven't had time to read through posts) the UFC do something about this - afterall, they took action against Sobral.
fonduktoe
7/12/09 11:56:12AM
he kept fighting till the ref stopped it
like every fighter should
end of story
grappler0000
7/12/09 12:03:17PM
I have mixed feelings on this TBH...but at the end of the day, what he did may have been immoral, but not against the rules, so there's no way that UFC will be punishing him for it.
Khaos
7/12/09 12:07:28PM
The difference between this and the Babalu fight is that Dan DID stop when the ref stopped the fight. it happens all the time. I'll use Belcher vs Santiago as my example, the head kcick clearly KO'ed him but he hit him after he fell until the ref jumped in. It was a fine stoppage and not one that should upset people.
imanidiot777
7/12/09 12:09:46PM
I completely agree, this wasn't even a questionable case where the guy could have had his hands up even a little. He was out COLD, stiff as a board, hands at his sides. I understand the referee didn't get there very fast but he could have got on top of him and thrown some quick little hits until the ref got there. He took a full two seconds to wind up and slam Bisping in the face again when he still clearly wasn't moving, AT ALL.

The worst part about this whole thing is, he ADMITTED he did it to shut him up in the interview after the fight. If he would have said he was in the moment and trying to finish and didn't mean to hurt the guy, most likely this thread would not even be here. He risked the guys PERMANENT brain health with that. He deserves to be fined his ENTIRE PURSE for the event and suspended.

Let me clarify one more time, the reason that we can say this is as bad as it was, is only because he actually admitted to purposely going for the extra hit while he was obviously out cold.
hippysmacker
7/12/09 12:16:19PM

Posted by fonduktoe

end of story

I completely agree. Also, how many times has a guy been hurt only to recover right away. He can't be sure he was out cold, and adrenaline and all that. I am fine with it. Finish till the ref makes you stop.
gnl68
7/12/09 12:16:32PM
Bro,what would have happened,what could have happend,mean nothing.All fighters are supposed to continue fighting until the ref stops them.Yes he was out,but in the heat of battle,you go until told by the ref to stop.I do get your point for sure,cuz if it happened to Dan that way,i would also be upset.When ya think back to all the crap that Bisping said to Dan,there is no doubt that this would have ended the same way if Dan could.He trully had a dislike for Mike in a way that i never seen Dan get so vocal about a apponent.I am sooooooo glad to see Dan still have that killer instinct.
moob
7/12/09 12:29:16PM

Posted by fonduktoe

end of story

I'm not bothered by the slow stoppage at all.

What bothers me is that a martial artist chose to potentially damage someone in a contest because the opponent got under his skin. Without wanting to come across as melodramatic, he could have easily killed Bisping.

Henderson disrespected the sport and almost dragged it back many years to the early days when MMA was censured for being (rightly so) too brutal and barbaric.

I totally disagree that martial artists should go out there and look to damage their opponents to the the detriment of their health purely because the rules stipulate you do such a thing.

This is martial arts, a sport; not an unlicensed bare knuckle organisation that seeks to feed the bloodthirsty. To laugh and joke about it after was just the icing on the cake.

Unbelievable.
moob
7/12/09 12:33:10PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by fonduktoe

end of story

I completely agree. Also, how many times has a guy been hurt only to recover right away. He can't be sure he was out cold, and adrenaline and all that. I am fine with it. Finish till the ref makes you stop.

Yeah but what if he didn't recover straight away - would that make it wrong?

Bottom line is that Henderson knew what he was doing - he admitted so - therefore it had little to do with adrenaline.
John_Jobber
7/12/09 12:33:43PM
Dan Henderson is a complete gentleman.

But he's also a professional fighter.

If he hadn't given Bisping the "shut your mouth" shot after the KO then he wouldn't have been doing his job.

Maybe if Bisping hadn't acted like a complete douche before the fight then maybe Hendo would have paused before dropping the last punch (post ko). But then there probably would have been a thread saying how Hendo should have kept going.

HENDO = PRO

SmileR
7/12/09 12:38:54PM
I'm not shocked or even slightly bothered by what Hendo did. If Bisping had listened to his corner for the whole fight he wouldn't have even been in that position.
Dan did what the majority of people would have done in that situation. He fought until the ref stopped it. Fair enough he wasn't remorseful for what he did but I'm betting if the tables where turned Bisping would have done the same.
breakdown5
7/12/09 12:48:43PM
I think that Silva/Rampage 3 was worse because Yves Levigne was hanging off of Page's back while he was still punching an unconscious Wandy. But I'm not gonna get all bent over it. It is a fight and people get hurt....

Plus with all the adrenaline pumping through your body, its hard to stop fighting.
moob
7/12/09 12:49:32PM

Posted by John_Jobber

If he hadn't given Bisping the "shut your mouth" shot after the KO then he wouldn't have been doing his job.

Maybe if Bisping hadn't acted like a complete douche before the fight then maybe Hendo would have paused before dropping the last punch (post ko). But then there probably would have been a thread saying how Hendo should have kept going.

HENDO = PRO

You mention his professionalism a few times here.

I really don't think there was anything professional about the blow he landed to Bisping when he clearly couldn't defend himself - and to further underline that - Henderson knew he couldn't defend himself - it's commonly referred to as a 'cheap shot' - not professional at all in my opinion.

I have a feeling that opinions would significantly differ if this situation involved a fighter not as universally liked as Henderson. Just for example, say Tito Ortiz did this to a well loved fighter - kinda reckon that would change things.

Having following martial arts long before the advent of MMA, I've always believed strongly in the ethos of respect taught at all martial arts academies - as far as I was aware MMA is no different.
imanidiot777
7/12/09 12:50:58PM
Everyone is still MISSING the point. It isn't a problem that he kept going after him. The PROBLEM is that he admitted that he was just trying to get an extra shot in and knew he was out. If he would have just said I was fighting until the referee stopped it to make sure he didn't get up, I'm sure we wouldn't have this thread. The fact that he ADMITTED to trying to damage the guy more is what makes this sick. Henderson has no respect in my books, I hope Anderson Silva KO's him with a kick and then slams him until the referee gets there.

Moob is making the point as well, the problem is that he admitted that he knew Bisping was out and that he was just trying to shut him up some more.
Pookie
7/12/09 12:57:32PM
Thats pretty funny, everybody at my place just busted up into laughter when he said the last was to shut him up.

Wolfenstein
7/12/09 1:00:30PM
I'm sure it happens more often than you think--Dan just happened to admit it. If it had been Dan on the opposite end, I'm sure people would be livid. Me personally, I laughed a little inside.

It was scary that Bisping was out so long. The guy next to me asked if I thought Bisping might be dead, to which I replied, "Yes...yes I think he is."
Wallass
7/12/09 1:04:24PM
This is a much smaller deal then you guys are making it to be. He tried to finish him the whole fight righ up until the ref stopped it. Maybe he shouldn t have said that he meant the extra shot but still not a big deal.
Khaos
7/12/09 1:04:47PM
I think it's being made out to be a bigger deal then it it. We see it happen all the time, and the only reason there is complaing is because of what Dan said. Had he not said "to shut him up" no one would be complaining.
Bowen50
7/12/09 1:12:24PM

Posted by moob

Posted by fonduktoe

end of story

What bothers me is that a martial artist chose to potentially damage someone in a contest because the opponent got under his skin. Without wanting to come across as melodramatic, he could have easily killed Bisping.

Henderson disrespected the sport and almost dragged it back many years to the early days when MMA was censured for being (rightly so) too brutal and barbaric.

I totally disagree that martial artists should go out there and look to damage their opponents to the the detriment of their health purely because the rules stipulate you do such a thing.

This is martial arts, a sport; not an unlicensed bare knuckle organisation that seeks to feed the bloodthirsty. To laugh and joke about it after was just the icing on the cake.

Unbelievable.

i don't see what's so hard to understand. no one said a thing when Rampage knocked Wanderlei out and landed 2-3 punches when the ref was pushing Rampage off of Wanderlei. this is just a part of the sport. Henderson knocked Bisping out and went until the ref told him to stop. it happens all the time. you don't stop fighting until the ref stops the fight. end of story.
DevonFoxy
7/12/09 1:13:15PM

Posted by moob

Posted by John_Jobber

HENDO = PRO

You mention his professionalism a few times here.

I really don't think there was anything professional about the blow he landed to Bisping when he clearly couldn't defend himself - and to further underline that - Henderson knew he couldn't defend himself - it's commonly referred to as a 'cheap shot' - not professional at all in my opinion.

I have a feeling that opinions would significantly differ if this situation involved a fighter not as universally liked as Henderson. Just for example, say Tito Ortiz did this to a well loved fighter - kinda reckon that would change things.

Having following martial arts long before the advent of MMA, I've always believed strongly in the ethos of respect taught at all martial arts academies - as far as I was aware MMA is no different.

I see where coming from bro I honestly do but Henderson did absolutely nothing wrong. He said that it was complete instinct and that he had to fight until the ref pulled him off. On top of that Henderson also said that he said that you can never tell if a guy is going to recover so hes said all he needs to for me. Dan is a classy guy and going into the fight was nothing but class and out of the fight he just backed up what he did say.

Also he did the EXACT same thing to Wanderlei pretty much so there is a pattern of instinct to go off of. and there was no stink about it so I really have to disagree with you man. I honestly think if it were Bisping doing this to Henderson this thread would have never been made but thats my opinion.
postman
7/12/09 1:19:14PM
I have a real hard time beliving that in less then one second Dan made the decesion to harm Bisping to "shut him up" I think looking back Dan knew he was out but the nature of the sport is to go in and be sure its finished. I think the Shut him up part was more just something Dan said to make it stick a little more.

On another note I'm pretty sure the UFC did do something to Dan after the fight that being hand him a check for 100,000 for KO of the night!
seanfu
7/12/09 1:21:20PM
I say quit being a wuss, Herring clearly KTFO'ed Nogueira and let him go for a split second. The Nogueira recovered and won.

If I was in the same posiion I would go in without question, not because I feel it's the "manly" way or something like that, but if Dan took even the slightes chance to consider his opponents safety it could backfire and finish his career.

This is his last run for a title. If he lost he would have to be another Rich Franklin.
moob
7/12/09 1:28:16PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by moob

Posted by fonduktoe

end of story

Unbelievable.

i don't see what's so hard to understand. no one said a thing when Rampage knocked Wanderlei out and landed 2-3 punches when the ref was pushing Rampage off of Wanderlei. this is just a part of the sport. Henderson knocked Bisping out and went until the ref told him to stop. it happens all the time. you don't stop fighting until the ref stops the fight. end of story.

There was a thread discussing the Rampage/Silva ending - there was a thread with the Babalu ending - where comments were made that what was done wasn't right.

I disagree when you and others say 'it's just part of the sport' - in all my years following martial arts, around 32 of them, I've never thought that deliberately attempting to harm an oppponent who is unconcisous is in line with the respect and honour that the traditions were founded on.

Many other fights have ended in similar fashion as others have mentioned, that doesn't make it 'just part of the sport ' either - several fights have ended when the aggressor noted the opponent was KO'd and didn't follow through - only to be applauded for doing so by commentators and fans alike.

Even the UFC official website states:

But then out of nowhere, Henderson landed with his trademark right hand again, and this one was right on the mark, sending Bisping down hard to the canvas before a final and unnecessary forearm brought in referee Mario Yamasaki to halt the bout at 3:20 of the round.

UFCmma666
7/12/09 1:34:58PM

Posted by fonduktoe

end of story

agreed i knew as soon as it happened someone would be cryin about this
cowcatcher
7/12/09 1:38:32PM
because of both parties involved it didnt bother me in the least. it shouldnt be that way and it shows my bias i guess, but thats the honest truth. had the shoe been on the other foot and bisping done the same thing, id probably be upset about it to some degree, maybe not the right thing to do, but thats the truth. dan is a guy known for being classy, bisping has come off as a jerk on more than one occasion, i guess in a way it gives more leeway even though it probably shouldnt. regardless, this isnt something they can fine dan for, its well within the rules.
scobac
7/12/09 1:42:16PM
I think this thread is bashing dan, maybe not in the traditional sense but he had a great ko for his career and now we want to call him a "dirty" fighter? He didnt go at him after the ref stopped it, like the other fights your speaking of, he said what he said for entertainment value not cause in a matter of a second decided to do something dirty.
DevonFoxy
7/12/09 1:44:38PM

Posted by moob

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by moob

Posted by fonduktoe

end of story

Unbelievable.

There was a thread discussing the Rampage/Silva ending - there was a thread with the Babalu ending - where comments were made that what was done wasn't right.

I disagree when you and others say 'it's just part of the sport' - in all my years following martial arts, around 32 of them, I've never thought that deliberately attempting to harm an oppponent who is unconcisous is in line with the respect and honour that the traditions were founded on.

Many other fights have ended in similar fashion as others have mentioned, that doesn't make it 'just part of the sport ' either - several fights have ended when the aggressor noted the opponent was KO'd and didn't follow through - only to be applauded for doing so by commentators and fans alike.

Even the UFC official website states:

But then out of nowhere, Henderson landed with his trademark right hand again, and this one was right on the mark, sending Bisping down hard to the canvas before a final and unnecessary forearm brought in referee Mario Yamasaki to halt the bout at 3:20 of the round.

I really think your manipulating the words there to fit your argument which I don't think they ment it in that way. I think they ment in order to win the fight he didn't need it to seal the deal. Not the fact that it was low dirty "Unnecessary".
gnl68
7/12/09 1:55:39PM

Posted by imanidiot777

'Everyone is still MISSING the point. It isn't a problem that he kept going after him. The PROBLEM is that he admitted that he was just trying to get an extra shot in and knew he was out. If he would have just said I was fighting until the referee stopped it to make sure he didn't get up, I'm sure we wouldn't have this thread. The fact that he ADMITTED to trying to damage the guy more is what makes this sick. Henderson has no respect in my books, I hope Anderson Silva KO's him with a kick and then slams him until the referee gets there. '

'Moob is making the point as well, the problem is that he admitted that he knew Bisping was out and that he was just trying to shut him up some more. ' Well i think your missing the ultimate point.Fight until you are told not to stop.If Pete Sell stopped cuz he thought Scott Smith was a done fighter,that comeback would have never happened.Hendo made sure that would not happen to him.As to "you hope anderson does it back to Dan."Well if he does or doesn't,Dan f...n showed the world that Bisping is nothing but a average fighter at best,and a man that can't back up his words at all.He is the most overrated fighter from outside the US.
tdietel01
7/12/09 1:56:46PM
going til the ref stops it may be part of the sport...... but the forearm was definitely uncalled for. Would everyone feel it was ok if rashad jumped on liddell when he was clearly out cold? no because noone like rashad. i guarantee if that happened people would be calling for fines and suspensions. not liking someone doesnt change the rules. Brock lesnar merely talked alot of trash and he is getting more **** than hendo is!?!!?!?!? again, would everyone excuse lesnar if he did the same to Mir? how many of you can say you would excuse lesnar for tht action?

No matter how you look at it, it wasnt cool to do. he was clearly out and it was uncalled for.
gnl68
7/12/09 1:58:46PM
Dan Henderson gave Bisping what Bisping wished he could have done to Dan.Its that simple,I have no doubt in my mind that Bisping would do the same thing.AWESOME!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4