UFC discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC discussion
JBatch
2/4/08 3:14:20PM
Just a couple of things post UFC that I thought might be worth discussing. It is sort of a rant so reader beware.

1) The UFC needs a better pay out system. Or we could think as bussinessmen and love how often the higher paid fighters are comming out the losing end of fights, thus saving the UFC money. I would love to be an agent of a fighter and get to find out how the revenue sharing, PPV cuts, base salaries etc are hashed out when making a contract. The disparity is crazy, Some guys pulling in a base of 250,000 others 3000.

2) Why do fans at UFC events boo so often? I read hippysmackers post and it may not always be the action but it just pisses me off. The only fight I ever wanted to boo was Sylvia vs. Monson or Gonzaga vs. Jordan.

3) Who do you find to be the most exciting fighters in the UFC? Guys like Forrest, Leben or other TUF alums that have a ton of heart and like to bang. Or LW studs like Griffin, Edgar, Guida. Or do you get more excited for say a match-up between two top ten guys.
Personally as a TUF'r I watched TUF 1 and became obsessed with UFC and Pride, I find myself more invested in the fights of my favourite TUF fighters probably due to seeing their personalities more on the show.

4) The most pleasing thing I took away from the last couple of UFC's and the next few lined up is UFC 81 semmed to be the most lacklustre of the bunch and it was awesome. The UFC has IMO pretty close to a monopoly on the fight game now.

Any other points people would like to discuss I love to talk UFC extensively any topic.

Oh ya and I hope the UFC makes Leben vs. Cote 2 happen very soon.
StevenSeagal
2/4/08 3:55:08PM

Posted by JBatch

Just a couple of things post UFC that I thought might be worth discussing. It is sort of a rant so reader beware.

1) The UFC needs a better pay out system. Or we could think as bussinessmen and love how often the higher paid fighters are comming out the losing end of fights, thus saving the UFC money. I would love to be an agent of a fighter and get to find out how the revenue sharing, PPV cuts, base salaries etc are hashed out when making a contract. The disparity is crazy, Some guys pulling in a base of 250,000 others 3000.

2) Why do fans at UFC events boo so often? I read hippysmackers post and it may not always be the action but it just pisses me off. The only fight I ever wanted to boo was Sylvia vs. Monson or Gonzaga vs. Jordan.

3) Who do you find to be the most exciting fighters in the UFC? Guys like Forrest, Leben or other TUF alums that have a ton of heart and like to bang. Or LW studs like Griffin, Edgar, Guida. Or do you get more excited for say a match-up between two top ten guys.
Personally as a TUF'r I watched TUF 1 and became obsessed with UFC and Pride, I find myself more invested in the fights of my favourite TUF fighters probably due to seeing their personalities more on the show.

4) The most pleasing thing I took away from the last couple of UFC's and the next few lined up is UFC 81 semmed to be the most lacklustre of the bunch and it was awesome. The UFC has IMO pretty close to a monopoly on the fight game now.

Any other points people would like to discuss I love to talk UFC extensively any topic.

Oh ya and I hope the UFC makes Leben vs. Cote 2 happen very soon.

Ill join ur convo.

1) It is true, the payouts def have a lot of dispaity. But they do for the most part reflect what you bring to the table viewer wise as well as talent wise... Brock got huge money cuz he can bring in a ton of people. I think as time goes by and the contracts get regulated we will see more of an even flow.

2) Fans boo, cuz there fans. No real reason except ignorance and they think they deserve wild swinging every bout and when they dont get it they boo. This type of mentality is dangerous to MMA cuz it promotes no talent haymakers not reall MMA athletes... So if Dana gives the general MMA ignorant public people that just bang it out on the feet and can do nothing more, no blocking, no take downs... Then the sport is in serious trouble in the future... The casual MMA fan is just like a young kid.... U show them that MMA is a good mix of ground work, stand up and all that, then they will learn to like that.... If you just give in and throw start throwin them guys that just wack each other with no skill just to get some ovation and cheers... then its downhill from there... Then we've come full circle back to the human cockfighting situation...

3) I def like the LW's best in terms of being exciting, but I also think a BJJ match strictly on the ground is the most exciting so i guess its just a opinion thing... On the TUF guys, I really could care less. Bisping doesnt really excite me much, Evans doesnt excite me much, Bonner and Forrest would prob be the only 2 TUF guys I actually care to see. I personally think Brasil is where its at man. They all are missing a couple screws over there... in a good way, which make their fights awesome to watch... Most all have been doing BJJ since they were a sperm, so they have room to work on standup... Its hard to think of one Brasillian that is a boring fighter... Can anyone???

4) Not much to comment on. I didnt think the cards were lackluster but to each their own.

Lets see who else chimes in...
JBatch
2/4/08 6:22:09PM
It would be cool if the fighters formed some type of fighters union where they at least could have some say in the pay structure.

I think I missed my point with 4. The UFC is putting together some of the best cards ever right now, this one was the worst of them and it was still awesome. The problem is now are guys like AA and Leben are gettingstuck on prelims.

On your Brasil point. I agree Brazilians are by far the most intense and IMO toughest people on the planet. Then Russians and then North Americans, a mix of U.S. and Canadian. The poverty levels in Brazil make it a vey tough place to live.
Pookie
2/4/08 6:53:51PM

Posted by JBatch

On your Brasil point. I agree Brazilians are by far the most intense and IMO toughest people on the planet. Then Russians and then North Americans, a mix of U.S. and Canadian. The poverty levels in Brazil make it a vey tough place to live.

Oh man, id have to give the "toughest" edge to the Samoans, then Russians, then Brazilians
StevenSeagal
2/4/08 6:59:00PM
lol yeah the eastern Europeans are no joke lol. pretty much where ever it sucks to live haha