Discourse on Dunham

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Discourse on Dunham
ncordless
9/26/10 4:25:31AM
Evan Dunham showed about as much a fighter can in "defeat" last night... and I think there are a few really telling things about his performance that speak very highly of him.
NOTE: this is not a discussion about the outcome of the fight... there is another thread to argue that.

1. Dunham got worked in the first round. I think it says a lot about a fighter who can overcome adversity. That gash on his head was brutal, and I don't think many fighters would be able to come out and turn it around after that.

2. Dunham's grappling is really good. No one has been that close to submitting Sherk before, and props to Shaun for surviving some of those 'tines. But even more impressive than that was the way he was able to get back to his feet off his back. Not many LWs have gotten up with Sherk on top, and I thought the way he was able to spoke a whole lot about the all-around game he has, it is one of the best combinations of wrestling and jits that I have ever seen.

3. Dunham not only took the decision like a man and showed great sportsmanship after the fight, but he also really impressed me with the way he was able to clearly see immediately what he had done wrong. As good as some of those guillotines were, he was better off when he stopped going for them against the neckless Sherk. Most fighters seem to never admit their faults, let alone diagnose them immediately.

Dunham is one of those guys whose great skills are overshadowed by his gameness and mind for the sport (he has a touch of the gameplanning of Couture mixed with the cool-head of Fedor), and regardless of this loss I see him being really good for a really long time.
BustedKnuckle
9/26/10 9:26:23AM
Yeah Evan really showed his grit in that fight. Sherk is very powerful and he seemed to handle that very well. That cut would have had a signifigantly negative impact on a lot of fighters, but it seemed to put Dunham into blitzkrieg mode!! I can't wait to see him fight again!
kaduey
9/26/10 10:09:40AM
Just saying... Dunham didn't get "worked" in the first round.
Cdellorso
9/26/10 11:11:43AM
I agree he lost the 1st but did not lose a 10-8-
"worked " has a wide range of definition- It was close but I (who am wrong alot)
gave dunhum the fight

postman
9/26/10 11:12:06AM

Posted by kaduey

I agree I though without the cut Dunham took the first.
Chael_Sonnen
9/26/10 2:44:17PM
Cut or no cut, Dunham won the fight...."I love this sport!"
prozacnation1978
9/26/10 3:34:00PM
For being off a year and a half. Sherk impressed me
Now if I knew he was gonna wrestle instead of stand. I would have
Picked him to win
BustedKnuckle
9/26/10 5:43:26PM
I am with you Prozac. I didnt expect Sherk to come out looking to take it to the ground. But that said he didnt look that great. Evan handleed himself as good as anyone ever has against Sherk. Those Guillotine attempts were tight!!
tcunningham
9/26/10 10:14:38PM
the thing about losing that fight is even though the judges gave sherk the win, its still up to the ufc to decide who dunham fights next. jon jones lost to whats his name by disqualification but immediately moved up in competition. i think dunham will be the same. sherk is a good fighter but hes close to retirement. dunham is young and hes the future of the sport. he needs all the chances the ufc can give him. i say he fights a big name next.
bjj1605
9/26/10 11:35:09PM

Posted by ncordless

Evan Dunham showed about as much a fighter can in "defeat" last night... and I think there are a few really telling things about his performance that speak very highly of him.
NOTE: this is not a discussion about the outcome of the fight... there is another thread to argue that.

1. Dunham got worked in the first round. I think it says a lot about a fighter who can overcome adversity. That gash on his head was brutal, and I don't think many fighters would be able to come out and turn it around after that.

2. Dunham's grappling is really good. No one has been that close to submitting Sherk before, and props to Shaun for surviving some of those 'tines. But even more impressive than that was the way he was able to get back to his feet off his back. Not many LWs have gotten up with Sherk on top, and I thought the way he was able to spoke a whole lot about the all-around game he has, it is one of the best combinations of wrestling and jits that I have ever seen.

3. Dunham not only took the decision like a man and showed great sportsmanship after the fight, but he also really impressed me with the way he was able to clearly see immediately what he had done wrong. As good as some of those guillotines were, he was better off when he stopped going for them against the neckless Sherk. Most fighters seem to never admit their faults, let alone diagnose them immediately.

Dunham is one of those guys whose great skills are overshadowed by his gameness and mind for the sport (he has a touch of the gameplanning of Couture mixed with the cool-head of Fedor), and regardless of this loss I see him being really good for a really long time.

Totally agree and I'll add that he's a future champ.
scoozna
9/27/10 9:36:31AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Picked him to win

haha...this is how I approached it. I've thought of Sherk as unreliable because he couldn't seem to stick with his strength. He looked like you'd expect in the first round - vicious from the top.
jiujitsufreak74
9/27/10 9:59:06AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Picked him to win

i figured that even if he did wrestle Dunham is too slippery, and i was almost right (damn judges)
kaduey
10/6/10 6:37:51PM

Posted by ncordless

Hermes Franca was pretty close to finishing Sherk with a guillotine after that savage knee.
Gogoplatapus
10/6/10 6:55:29PM

Posted by kaduey

This.
AfroSamuraiTHEBEAST
10/6/10 8:43:55PM
Very good post man. Dunham is going to be champ some day I believe. I might he might have trouble with Frankies speed with his boxing but I think if it hits the ground Frankies in trouble. I'd like to see him take on Maynard, he could probably submit him since he actually has a neck.

He has all the tools you love to see in a fighter. A lot of heart, very smart, and a really hard worker. Not to mention hes always going at it.Love his fights.