Any one else disapointed....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Any one else disapointed....
POLL: Disapointed?
yes 60% (46)
no 5% (4)
not sure 6% (5)
give him a few more fights and I can answer better 29% (22)
StorminYourman
1/18/09 3:15:51PM
in Shogun? He just does not look like the Shogun from Pride who won the GP. This bums me because I was a fan. At this rate it looks like the Steve Cantwells, Houston Alexanders, and Sam Hogers(not fighter bashing but he was on a different level) are going to put a beating on him.
seanfu
1/18/09 3:42:55PM
There are a number of factors that play in to that. Between the ring cage switch, and where japanese rules fit like a glove, I don't see him being anything near the top 6 or 7 even if he's able to rally .

I understand not being able to finish people spectacularly, or even finish them at all with the re adjustment, but against Coleman in the performance Coleman gave, he should have had some kind of impressive finish and earlier.
higdon10
1/18/09 3:53:14PM
I was alittle disappointed but I honestly think that his conditioning played a huge part in his performance. I think that in time he will be able to hang with the best of them.
casey64
1/18/09 3:54:13PM
I'm disappointed, i thought Shogun could finish Coleman quick.
EvenFlow
1/18/09 4:30:02PM
I'm disappointed in you fans that are bashing him blindly, wow so his gas tank isnt that great, so what, once he tunes that then everyone jumps bandwagons again

The expectations are way too high for a man who just got off 2 ACL injuries, and he beat Mark down for 3 rounds getting a TKO.

Twenty20Dollars
1/18/09 4:46:08PM
Yeah im disapointed but not like overly disapointed because I know he is coming off of injuries. Just give him alittle time.
SpiderSilva
1/18/09 5:59:22PM
yeah I say Shogun by the end of the year baring injries will be back the way he was he has fought 1 fight in like 3 years dude will be back he still is only 27
PolishPride
1/18/09 7:17:00PM
Yes! Definitely dissapointed. I dont know if he lost his taste for fighting or his layoff was too hard on him. Hope he looks better against Liddell.
FrankTheTank1181
1/18/09 8:05:06PM
I think people need to realize he's coming off some major injuries and has been out of action for a year and a half. If he looks this bad after 1 or 2 more fights I'd say there might be cause for disappointment.
prozacnation1978
1/18/09 8:10:02PM
it was very sad i was upset to see him fight so poorly
ryan bader could take him on
i will root for lidell to knock on of my favorite fighters out
jiujitsufreak74
1/18/09 11:38:57PM
extremely disappointed...i even walked out of the room because my eyes couldn't deal with such slop
telnights
1/18/09 11:48:31PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I'm disappointed in you fans that are bashing him blindly, wow so his gas tank isnt that great, so what, once he tunes that then everyone jumps bandwagons again

The expectations are way too high for a man who just got off 2 ACL injuries, and he beat Mark down for 3 rounds getting a TKO.

I didn't see anyone bashing him as a fighter they are just saying they were disappointed in his performance and rightfully so. He put on a very lack luster performance and a lot of people me included expected more from a man claiming to be 100%.
mikevolz
1/19/09 3:30:54AM
i was watching the fight, and it looked like he knew he had the fight won in the beginning of the second. and it looked to me like he was just trying to hurt coleman, not pouncing, but just trying to damage coleman.

i think the first time shogun pounced and went for the finish was the finish, he always had shots open but never took them, instead he kept trying to leg kick him, and go for the overhand right.

thats what i saw.
the_01
1/19/09 3:45:30AM
This fight was pure waste of time. Like 2 beginers with no expereince whatsoever. I really wish they both retire and seek some other sorce of work cause fighting is not their thing. This isnt UFC quality.
pv3Hpv3p
1/19/09 9:24:37AM

Posted by EvenFlow

I'm as big a Shogun fan as anyone, and I have to say that it seemed like a very lack luster performance from him in this fight... The first round was great, but it seemed like Maricio didn't have anything left after that... And remembering how he ran through people in the Pride days, it's hard to watch him struggle like that against an opponent that he seems to be much better than (Coleman's lost 5 of his last 8 now)...

It's not about bandwagons... A lot of Shogun fans defended him by saying that he couldn't work his cardio up to par for the Forrest fight, and that's why he gassed and lost... Now, we as SOLID Shogun fans, should see a marked improvement in his cardio for the next fight which we didn't... Which in turn makes us dissappointed... Being a fan is not just blindly hugging the nuts of a fighter... But fairly assessing his performances and hoping for better and better results
copcopps
1/19/09 9:36:46AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Coleman was coming off of a 2 year hiatus from even fighting, an ACL injury (if I remember correctly when he was trying to fight Lesnar) and being at least 15 years older than him and cut from 245 pounds to 205.

I'm sorry but it seems that Coleman was a bunny rabbit waiting to be killed when Shogun should have acted like a lion. But he turned into Sailor Moon and petted the bunny rabbit to death.

Those are my two cents, hopefully I'm not fighter bashing I'm just saying that Coleman had a lot more stacked against him than Shogun IMO and well Shogun just didn't have the instinct anymore
RhythmAndStyle
1/19/09 12:44:23PM
one bad show from him and everyone sayin their not a fan of him anymore..than what the f*ck kinda fan are you..Liddell starts losin and everyone hates him..Wandy been gettin beat..he sucks..fighters have bad shows..Shogun just came off two in a row knee injuries..i pretty sure if he was 100% healthy..he would of killed Coleman..but since he not..and linin him up with Liddell next..isn't gonna help Shogun..i would of gave Shogun a couple of warm-ups before matchin him up with Liddell..point in case is..if your not his fan anymore..only when he was #1 LW..than i pretty sure you're just a bandwagon jumper...
EvenFlow
1/19/09 5:35:37PM

Posted by copcopps

Posted by EvenFlow

Coleman was coming off of a 2 year hiatus from even fighting, an ACL injury (if I remember correctly when he was trying to fight Lesnar) and being at least 15 years older than him and cut from 245 pounds to 205.

I'm sorry but it seems that Coleman was a bunny rabbit waiting to be killed when Shogun should have acted like a lion. But he turned into Sailor Moon and petted the bunny rabbit to death.

Those are my two cents, hopefully I'm not fighter bashing I'm just saying that Coleman had a lot more stacked against him than Shogun IMO and well Shogun just didn't have the instinct anymore

They both had terrible cardio which came from the leg injuries, they take away a lot of your ability to condition the body properly. Coleman had a tough road but he had a lot more time to train and spent a lot of time off on his own terms, he should have been ready.

No exucses for Shogun his tank sucked which made everything else a shade grayer too, but still this fight was good for 1 and 1/2 rounds. Gassing sucks. I do sports and combative sports, when your tired you just lose that extra drive and even the will that you impel upon your opposition.

The expectations were just set too high, they should be like that now instead of then.
StorminYourman
1/20/09 12:55:43AM
I am still a fan of his but would like the old Shogun back.

BTW to all who are saying this and that about his conditioning, may I remind you Shogun used to be known for his everlasting gastank back in PRIDE.Just something to think about.
Ulfhethnar6
1/20/09 11:52:45AM
His brother Ninja has not looked good since coming to America either. Not this bad but still not the same. I don't think the Shogun of Pride is ever coming back.
copcopps
1/22/09 9:49:41AM

Posted by Ulfhethnar6

His brother Ninja has not looked good since coming to America either. Not this bad but still not the same. I don't think the Shogun of Pride is ever coming back.

Ninja has always been kinda 50-50 with his performance though IMO.
slapshot
1/24/09 4:34:41AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Sorry I dont agree, Colman had at least one round and might have pulled out a split if he had not been stopped, some of the pride guys are falling short and IMO it shows a cage is much more difficult for some fighters than others.
EvenFlow
1/24/09 6:25:18AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by EvenFlow

Sorry I dont agree, Colman had at least one round and might have pulled out a split if he had not been stopped, some of the pride guys are falling short and IMO it shows a cage is much more difficult for some fighters than others.

I dont agree with you either, Shogun owned the whole fight, I mean cmon.