UFC 96 Dilemma and the Problem With Overloading Cards

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 96 Dilemma and the Problem With Overloading Cards
Wolfenstein
1/14/09 6:37:55AM
As of today, the main event for UFC 96 in Columbus is Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga. As recently as the UFC 92 post-show conference Dana White expressed an interest in having Chuck Liddell headline the show, but Dave Meltzer reported on his radio show that Chuck does not want to fight in March.

link
ohiostate1016
1/14/09 9:34:29AM
I still have a feeling that the UFC is going to pull something out of their arses, because that's what they always seem to do. We'll probably all be excited about this card within a couple of days.

Whether it be Silva/Leites or Chuck Liddell actually fighting, this card will have a main event, and it won't be Gonzaga vs. Carwin.

I wouldn't even be surprised to see them throw Rampage and Rashad out there. Serra and Hughes is a possibility, but they said in the article that Serra is taking care of his newborn.

Never count out the UFC.
wiggum
1/14/09 10:39:45AM
I wouldnt be suprised by lietes/silva being the headliner...and like said before, they always pull out something (alves vs hughes for example).....i dont think the article gives the clash between carwin and gonzaga as much due as it deserves, i agree its not a main event, but that fight is a big fight in the heavyweight divison for many reasons, not only for the ufc but for the overall mma heavyweight picture......also, maybe we should consider the possibility that this is free on spike? in which case it wouldnt suprise me if carwin and gonzaga are the main event
Givershit
1/14/09 10:45:44AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I wouldn't even be surprised to see them throw Rampage and Rashad out there. Serra and Hughes is a possibility, but they said in the article that Serra is taking care of his newborn.

Never count out the UFC.

I thought Rashad and Rampage were headlining UFC 100.
finnish_line
1/14/09 10:47:23AM

Posted by wiggum

maybe we should consider the possibility that this is free on spike? in which case it wouldnt suprise me if carwin and gonzaga are the main event

They've confirmed that UFC 95 is free. They wouldn't do two in a row.

A real main event will be found.
Mayhem13
1/14/09 12:29:07PM
Brock vs Mir
Rashad vs Rampage
Chuck vs Shogun/Wanderlei/Henderson/Franklin
Nog vs Kongo/Randy
Florian vs Penn
Alves vs Penn/St.Pierre
Silva vs Leites

theres still some possibilities..although some of those are highly doubtful
MMAcca
1/14/09 1:07:44PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Brock vs Mir
Rashad vs Rampage
Nog vs Kongo/Randy
Florian vs Penn
Alves vs Penn/St.Pierre
Silva vs Leites

With only 6-7 weeks to train, most of those fights are not gonna happen apart from maybe Chuck fighting somebody or Nog fighting
postman
1/14/09 1:40:16PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Mayhem13

Brock vs Mir
Rashad vs Rampage
Nog vs Kongo/Randy
Florian vs Penn
Alves vs Penn/St.Pierre
Silva vs Leites

With only 6-7 weeks to train, most of those fights are not gonna happen apart from maybe Chuck fighting somebody or Nog fighting

maybe Silva Leites but no way Penn or St pierre are going to be ready. Nor do I see Hendo or Franklin.

I think that Zuffa would be wise to cross promote the UFC and WEC it adds 2 more belts to the Pay per view shows. Also would give some of the up and comers a chance to shine on cable tv. its a win win imo.
wig84
1/14/09 1:44:43PM
It's still a couple months away. Give it time before you start freaking out.
prozacnation1978
1/14/09 2:11:15PM
rumor is that rampage will face evans for main event
TheCatFather
1/14/09 5:42:27PM

Brock vs Mir Rashad vs Rampage Chuck vs Shogun/Wanderlei/Henderson/Franklin Nog vs Kongo/Randy Florian vs Penn Alves vs Penn/St.Pierre Silva vs Leites

You just covered about 2 years worth of main events in one show Not going to happen.
grimreaper
1/15/09 2:11:27PM
Bloodyelbow whines too much the website is in a state panic over the dumbest and smallest things it's so stupid