ufc dilemma for middlweight title shot!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ufc dilemma for middlweight title shot!!
Next Page »
prozacnation1978
2/22/09 10:34:59AM
looks like right now their are three guys who should get title shots with a 4th coming this summer

the three are

okami, marquadt, and maia

with winner of bisping/hendo getting one

i think the ufc needs to scrap super fights and light heavy for the spider, he is lined up for the rest of the year

and all I SAW IS TO THE UFC LET THE SPIDER FIGHT 4 TIMES THIS YEAR!!

i think after thales he needs to fight in july or aug against okami but i do think okami will be snubbed

i do think marquadt and maia should fight for top contender status

i must say of the three the one less derserving is nate he did lose last year while okami and damien have been on a role, the bisping/hendo winner watch as it plays out as a title shot in nov /dec against who ever the middlweight champ is then. it should still be the spider
AchillesHeel
2/22/09 10:55:40AM
I agree, more or less, but the calendar doesn't quite support your idea:

- With Silva-vs-Leites on April 18th, another title fight is unlikely before August, and September wouldn't be out of the question. Given that, a 3rd title fight in 2009 is questionable.

- With Henderson-vs-Bisping on July 11th, there's just no way the winner could be offered a title shot in August or September.

- If three months' training time is the norm for a "#1 Contender" fight, Marquardt and Maia couldn't fight each other and then be ready for an August or September title fight.

On the bright side, Anderson Silva has had the longest rest between fights since coming to the UFC. By the time UFC 97 arrives, it will have been almost 6 months since his match against Patrick Coté. Before that, Silva had defended the title every 3-5 months.

I think it's more plausible that Demian Maia or Yushin Okami gets the next title shot in late August, and doesn't fight until then, while the other is matched against Marquardt. Then the winner of Henderson-vs-Bisping gets a title shot in December, on the end-of-the-year card.
Franklinfan47
2/22/09 11:19:49AM
I think Okami should face Silva/Leites,

Marquardt and Maia fight for title shot, WHILE Bisping/Henderson gets the next shot after Okami.

Then the winner of Marquardt/Maia gets the next shot after that.

Should make for an interesting year in the mw division
SpiderSilva
2/22/09 11:36:59AM
and to think everyone thinks this is a weak weight class
AchillesHeel
2/22/09 12:08:24PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

and to think everyone thinks this is a weak weight class

It's an understandable position to take, from the perspective of the championship, which is what defines divisions for a lot of people. Simply put, none of the people named in this thread has much of a chance to defeat Anderson Silva. Henderson and Marquardt have already lost to him - decisively - and we're still talking about them as being top contenders. Most people rank Bisping behind Henderson, and I don't know of anybody who thinks Leites will defeat Silva. It's only when I consider the weight of numbers that I give Silva any real chance to lose the belt in the next two years. That is, if every contender has a 20% chance to win, then odds are that Silva will lose 1-in-5 matches. So you could say that Silva will lose the belt to Leitesokamimaiahendersonmarquardt and have a decent chance to be correct. Of course, I think giving each of those guys a 20% chance to defeat Silva might be over-generous.

So in that sense, the division is a little light in the loafers, and has people looking to move Silva to Light-Heavyweight, set up a "superfight" with GSP, or get more talent, like Gegard Mousasi or Vitor Belfort. If Silva were to voluntarily relinquish the belt, by retiring or moving permanently to 205, the UFC Middleweight division would suddenly look a lot deeper.
nickcuc547
2/22/09 1:21:40PM
I think maia is the most intruging matchup for silva and I think he gets the next title shot. marquardt and okami should fight next for the next title shot. I think silva disposes of leites quickly so a fight with maia won't be far away.
spikerman19
2/22/09 1:42:49PM
Its good to see the MW division have some depth again.
Twenty20Dollars
2/22/09 4:30:03PM
I could see Maia, Marquardt and winner of bisping/hendo leapfrogging Okami for a title shot. Okami would be like the machida of the MW division.

There better not be any super fights like silva vs gsp. Because if that happens I'd rather see silva lose the title and have thales defend it and fight upcoming contenders.

1.Okami should be next
2.Marquart
3.Maia
4.Bisping/Hendo
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/22/09 4:37:54PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Marquardt and Maia fight for title shot, WHILE Bisping/Henderson gets the next shot after Okami.

Okami has been waiting too long for his chance. Even though I think Silva can beat all of the mentioned fighters it will make for some excellent match ups.
Wolfenstein
2/22/09 4:47:14PM
I would put Okami on the backburner. He was promised a title shot when there weren't any other contenders. Well he got injured, and now there are some legit contenders. Say hello to Karo for me .

WheelchairBandit
2/22/09 5:54:56PM
If it wasn't for the split decision loss to Leites,I'd say that Nate should get the next title shot.But because of that,I think he needs one more fight before he gets another crack at Anderson.But they'll probably throw him in there next.

Maia is one of the top two or three contenders,but he's going to need another fight or two,because most likely Nate and the winner of Bisping/Hendo are going to get title shots first.I think a good test for Maia would be Okami.I don't think the UFC should put Okami right into a title fight-first of all,outside of the hardest of the hardcore fans,no one knows who he is.The only fights he's had on the main card were against Rich Franklin (a PPV that sold very poorly) and Evan Tanner IIRC.Okami would be a huge test for Maia and whoever wins would be a legit top contender.

WB.
higdon10
2/22/09 8:16:10PM
Marquardt is the who I think should get the next shot, but its hard to argue against any of the other top contenders.
mk1630
2/22/09 9:32:16PM
i think it should be Okami next, then the winner of Bisping/Hendo, and Maia and Nate should fight to see who gets it after that. But what about cote? does he get thrown back into the mix when he comes back from his injury?
lohmann
2/22/09 9:39:45PM

Posted by mk1630

i think it should be Okami next, then the winner of Bisping/Hendo, and Maia and Nate should fight to see who gets it after that. But what about cote? does he get thrown back into the mix when he comes back from his injury?

I hope not. Cote needs a big win or two before he gets another title shot, even though his loss against Silva wasn't at Silva's hands. His performance in that fight amounted to very little, hitting a very low percentage of his shots against a visibly bored Silva.
TimW001
2/22/09 11:06:11PM
Just to make this situation more confusing...

Wanderlei Silva
prozacnation1978
2/23/09 12:20:02AM
u might be right spider might have only two fights left this year i say aug and dec
have him fight okami in aug and bisping/hendo in dec but still you have nate and maia left

crazy how just a year and a half ago this division was the weakest now it may be the strongest in term of number one contenders inside the division
chickmagnet
2/23/09 12:43:16AM
OK here is how I see it.....

Yushin Okami picked up three wins, a decision over MacDonald, and Lister, and a KO over Evan Tanner. Nate Marquardt since his loss to the champ, has impressively defeated Jeremy Horn, then lost a decision to Leites(who is fighting for the belt) that he shouldve won due to bad reffing, then he quickly stopped Kampmann, and most recently he brutally finished Wilson Gouveia. You should be looking at a guy who has gone 4-0 since losing to Silva, but due to bad reffing, he lost the Leites fight which everyone knows he won. So between those two who deserves a title shot? Sure Okami has been waiting and injury put him behind but Nate is looking like a savage lately and we all know Nate would win against Okami. Nate has beat higher caliber opponents: Horn, Leites(technically), Kampmann, Gouveia.

Now as far as Demian Maia, I think matching him up for the title would be awesome, and yes he could beat Silva BUT Dana is going to want to build him up more, Demian already has 4 subs of the night. If he picks up let say 2 more submissions of the night, he will be very marketable. Demian is the future of the division along with Marquardt, Leites and Okami. So I say match Okami and Maia up, the winner will definitley be put in the top five and then they shall be brought up into the title picture plus Okami vs. Maia would be a sick fight as well.

I say match Okami vs. Maia
and
Marquardt vs. Leites/Silva winner for the belt.

then after Marquardt has fought the winner Franklin/Hendo winner will get the next shot.

The MW Division is definitely a stacked division.
Drudinh
2/23/09 2:02:09AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

this is how it should be
StorminYourman
2/23/09 2:05:41AM
Okami should be the next fighter to get the title shot
Hands down.No more questions.

After that fight put it up in the air again!
SociopathX
2/23/09 2:06:40AM
Okami or Maia.... I'd rather have Maia because I think he has a better shot.
mrkennedy
2/23/09 6:45:00PM
Marquart vs okami for the next title shot

and maia vs the looser of silva vs leites
State_Champ
2/24/09 5:37:56PM
Demian Maia Vs. Nate Marquardt to determine the #1 contender. I say this because they both came off wins on the same night so their schedule should allow them to fight. Also because they both said they deserved a title shot so maybe they could just fight each other to clear up any confusion they might have.
CwB
2/24/09 6:07:29PM
I guess im the only one who is a big fan of super fights ( i blame it on growing up with boxing Where there was always someone moving around in weight or coming out of retirement to fight)

i say gsp vs spida after thales and alves (but im probably the only one)

but i agree that there is a giant mess of top contenders but how can you tell who is the top of the top... simple. Have them all fight each other

marqardt vs wandy
demian vs okami
bisping henderson

lets start with that and figure the top contender from there
ravanunen
2/25/09 12:02:50AM
I agree with most that Maia and Marquadt should should fight soon for the next title shot.
Then after that the Henderson/Bisping winner should have the next shot.

Timeframe:
Maia/Marquardt title shot in July.
Henderson/Bisping title shot in December.

As for Okami, good fighter, probably deserves a shot, but I think it would be interesting to see him fight Cote when he recovers. That'd be an awesome matchup, and either could send Cote on his way to another title shot or make it impossible for the UFC to deny Okami a shot.

JimiMak
2/25/09 12:22:52AM
I just think: For the first time in years we've got multiple legitimate chanllengers for the title. It can be juggled so that they all get a title shot. Hendo/Bisping has to wait for that whole scenario. AS likes to fight often. IF they stop bouncing him back and forth between weights he can defend against all 3 w/ only one guy having to wait and/or take another match before his shot. It's the deepest the division has been in a while and holding off too many matches for too long (when they are there and doable) just seems to result in more upsets and a more muddled div. To me the only conundrum is who to give it to first.

My argument is that Maia not only deserves it for climbing so fast, but he can afford to lose more. If Hendo or Marq lose again it puts them more than a cpl matches away from another shot. Okami has had so much trouble getting one that they need to put some hype into it, and he still has a big ladder to climb back after a loss. Maia could have ppl write it off as him being young, as all these other guys are losing their second match he working his way back to his second (where he'd be older and better prepared)... Of course all of this assumes that AS wins his next 5 or 6 matches.... but honestly I think there's a good chance he will and that he's gonna be one of the most dominant champs of our current time.

BUT long story short I think Maia's short but completely dominant climb to the top should take him to the shot right now.
bjj1605
2/25/09 1:10:43AM
I think the middle weight division is suddenly a lot deeper than people give it credit for. The only one I'm interested in seeing fight anderson is Maia. Hendo and Marquart have already lost. Bisping doesn 't seem to have any tools to chalenge anderson.

Maia on the other hand is a new kind of chalenger. He has a weapon anderson hasn't faced, at least not to that extent. A top level jiu jitsu guy can give any one problems. And anderson has lost by submission before. If anderson does loose his title to any of the above, or retires and vacates the belt. The middle weight division will be very very interesting. With so many contenders who could be future champions. I still think anderson will destroy all and continue his reign as the Jesus of MMA.
Playground_Samurai
2/25/09 6:16:11AM

Posted by chickmagnet
and we all know Nate would win against Okami.

Oh? Guess I wasn't there when you all got together and unanimously made the decision that Nate would definatly beat Okami. Granted, i'd probably pick Nate in that match up, but you're making Okami sound like chopped liver.

I personally like the idea of a Marquardt/Maia match-up to determine the next in line. It's too bad they have Hendo wrapped up in the show. I'd have rather seen a match up between himself and Okami to determine who gets the next shot, but The Ultimate Fighter never ceases to ruin potentially great opportunities.

prozacnation1978
2/25/09 10:38:09AM
it's simple hendo vs bisping in july
id bisping wins he will face middleweight champ in oct/nov in england turf
if hendo wins i see this fight happening in dec
while the champ faces off in aug against either okami, or maia
no way nate gets next shot
he lost to thales, beat a down hill horn
only two fights that he did good was kammpman and goueveia

maia has been putting guys to sleep no top 10 but still some marquee guys in quarry, sonnen, mcdonald and he has been beating them quick and easy

looks like child's play to him i wanna see him fight silva
ravanunen
2/26/09 2:01:12AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

no way nate gets next shot
he lost to thales, beat a down hill horn
only two fights that he did good was kammpman and goueveia

maia has been putting guys to sleep no top 10 but still some marquee guys in quarry, sonnen, mcdonald and he has been beating them quick and easy

looks like child's play to him i wanna see him fight silva

I agree that shouldn't get the next shot (and probably won't if he's matched up against Maia), but his Thales was very controversial. Nate is a good fighter, but not someone that can handle Silva.

And I think Maia really needs at least one more fight against a high caliber oppenent.
bls1919
2/28/09 6:38:35PM
I agree more or less with the masses. i just hope they keep Spider out of the LHW ranks. Fight stricktly at 185. I am glad to see that there is serious competition for the middle weight belt know. This should really test Silva's mettle. I can't wait.
Pages: [1] 2