Different Fight Types?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Different Fight Types?
POLL: Should the UFC add Stipulations to certain fights?
Yes 10% (3)
No 87% (26)
Don't Care 3% (1)
DvS
10/1/08 5:32:47PM
I was sitting back and thinking about this today, what if the UFC added different rules to certain fights? Like different types of matchups, let's say like, no takedowns in the first round of the fight, or for a certain period of time, to keep it standing? I'm not saying they would put it into every fight, just certain ones. Like for instance if Penn was fighting GSP or something, they both look for the takedown the majority of the time and rely on their BJJ, and it would be interesting to see them in a standup battle. I think it would be a great thing to add to the mix, just to spice it up a bit and make it interesting, different stipulations would be really awesome to see. It would force one dimensional fighters to become multi dimensional, strikers and grapplers both having to use the opposite of what they are used to and have mastered. You can get really creative with it, no cage match jokes please. What do all of you think?
Bowen50
10/1/08 5:45:29PM
DvS
10/1/08 5:46:46PM
It isn't a bad idea at all I think, just think about the possibilities if the UFC did that. It could turn boring fights into blockbusters and highlight reel worthy fights
Bowen50
10/1/08 5:48:04PM
it also wouldn't be MMA
bullettdodger
10/1/08 5:49:08PM
No way, this is an over complication that is totally unneeded... you do this and whose to say they don't make crazy rules about fights where a clear better wrestler is penalized by not being able to take someone down in whatever round you were suggesting. Having the power to do something like this will invariably ruin mma... No thanks.... keep it as it is
DvS
10/1/08 5:51:20PM

Posted by Bowen50

it also wouldn't be MMA

Yeah it would, it would just have some twists here and there. Which isn't a bad thing imo

Let's say a different style per round, whoever makes the most of each and is the overall round winner in the end, wins. People always complain about fighters not being well rounded enough or always relying on one style, well here's the answer to all of that
aaa9erh8er
10/1/08 6:20:35PM
to be a complete mma fighter yyou need to learn how to defend takedowns how to wrestle and how to stand to take one or any out it isnt mma i have to agree. its dont get me wrong its a interesting idea but it would be a way unNEEDED complication especially with all the already contraversial descions
Bowen50
10/1/08 6:24:46PM

Posted by DvS

Posted by Bowen50

it also wouldn't be MMA

Yeah it would, it would just have some twists here and there. Which isn't a bad thing imo

Let's say a different style per round, whoever makes the most of each and is the overall round winner in the end, wins. People always complain about fighters not being well rounded enough or always relying on one style, well here's the answer to all of that

if you limited fighters to specific styles then it wouldn't be an MMA fight. thats what MMA is, Mixed Martial Arts. sounds like you need a lesson in what MMA really is.
nickcuc547
10/1/08 6:25:36PM
no offense but i hate that idea, it wouldn't even be an mma fight and the ufc is an mma organization.
Aaronno9
10/1/08 6:30:56PM
Mabeys in Yamma or whatever its called, but no way for the top orgs. Its like saying put a rule into the nba where teams cant score in the paint for certain periods, or can only shoot 3s for 5 minutes or whatever. I think alot of the elite fighters would be pissed off at being asked to do something like that, and would quickly switch to orgs where it didnt happen.

I mean, im not saying its a totally bad idea, it might be fun, but its just way to amateurish for any org that wants to be taken seriously.
jiujitsufreak74
10/1/08 6:42:47PM
next thing you know we'll see Fedor vs Couture TLC match

Bowen nailed it when he said it wouldn't be MMA with added rules. rules are there to protect the fighter's safety and that is it; they aren't designed to limit a fighter's arsenal
disorderlyvision
10/1/08 7:20:32PM
this gets my vote as one of the dumbest ideas ever
DvS
10/1/08 7:40:54PM
Lol if you think this is one of the worst ideas ever you don't get the big picture obviously
MALICE
10/1/08 8:07:38PM

Posted by DvS

Lol if you think this is one of the worst ideas ever you don't get the big picture obviously

Well, according to the poll you are the only one who does see the big picture.....obviously . Creative BUT Absurd
hotrodttt
10/1/08 8:12:25PM
If this were to happen it'd ruin Mixed Martial Arts, to me it would be something like the WWE in a way, I hope tou never become an MMA Promoter
juanez13
10/1/08 8:18:04PM
Fedor gives this ......

a thumbs down.

sorry bud good luck next time!

hotrodttt
10/1/08 8:51:09PM

dannyfrank
10/1/08 8:57:45PM
one main problem i see with your logic is that you say it would get rid of one-dimensional fighters. first of all, if a fighter is really good at one thing and it works for him, then he should stick to it. second of all, if a fighter keeps loosing and refuses to change his style, then he's done with. they dont need to add more rules just to try to get rid of one-dimensional fighters.

also, watching events that have too many rules on them get irritating because the ref ends up having to stop the fight every two minutes. example: if you have ever watched WCL, you know that they are not allowed to go to the ground or even fight in the clinch. in turn, a match will get stopped several times in a single round. its just a pain in the ass
DvS
10/1/08 9:02:39PM
Hey I'm just throwing it out there, you can't blame me for being creative and trying to start a conversation about a little idea. I'm not serious about it, I'm just saying, it would be an interesting concept.
paddy260
10/1/08 9:20:28PM
u would never happen it would be interesting to see
juanez13
10/1/08 11:05:54PM

Posted by DvS

Hey I'm just throwing it out there, you can't blame me for being creative and trying to start a conversation about a little idea. I'm not serious about it, I'm just saying, it would be an interesting concept.

yea i know dude, just giving you a hard time
candynuts
10/1/08 11:42:43PM
I dont think it would be a good idea, or that it would even work... in the UFC.

It is a bit interesting however, and it could be cool for some matchups, but I would hope that the UFC does not do this. This could be a good experiment for some small promotion (perhaps for some exposure).

Ben_Hutch
10/2/08 9:31:59PM
GUYS I HAVE A GREAT IDEA!!!!

Lets have boxing, but you can only punch your opponent in the stomach for the first 3 rounds!!!!!!!!

There's nothing wrong with the old rules, but let's change them anyway just because we should add some good twsits and turns to annoy everyone,

Even better.........Let's throw in some tables and chairs, hell, even a ladder!!!!
warglory
10/2/08 10:56:34PM
No offense, but this is an awful....awful idea.