Dieting Plateau

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Dieting Plateau
The_Metal_Maniac
3/17/09 10:17:40AM
I’m having a dilemma concerning my diet. I started a 1500 calorie a day diet January 10th. My starting weight was 193lbs; my goal was to get to 155lbs. This is all for pure health reasons, no weight cut for a fight or anything on those lines. Anyhow I did all the appropriate diet and exercise. To this date I’ve lost 23lbs and I’ve gotten myself up to running 4 miles five times a week. This is my problem; I am stuck at 170lbs and no matter what can’t seem to get past it. Lately I have been allowing myself one cheat day a week as well. Any solutions to get me back on track would be greatly appreciated.

seanfu
3/17/09 12:52:57PM
If you're stressed or in some low mood because of your diet you can't lose nearly the same weight. 170 is probably healthy for you if you cant run it off with that kind of work.

You might still be able to lose 10 pounds of chubb if you have it. Depending on your situation with your body even if you have fat it might be healthy.

If you know you can still lose 10 to 15 then I say cut to 1000 calories (of good stuff) and load up on green vegatables/ grains. Maintain some level of protein like roast or boiled chicken.

You're basically semi starving. Then start eating 1500 and see what it does. If you can sustain 155 or whatever you hit for say a month then you're probably eventually going to be able to maintain it regularly with medium work.

But after you hit your target I would up to 1500 and see what it does. If you gain a ton back just eating healthy then you might want to stay put at 170 and let your frame make the transition.

Sometimes you just cant do it all in one weight drop and sometimes even if you do it's temporary or unhealthy.

As a sidenote (IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT) I cheat every few day when I start obsessing over something sweet. I get a shitty mood and there's no energy or motivation in that state. So a couple times a week (including cheat day) I might grab a tootsie roll or a sucker, something small along those lines. Helps me.

Good luck going from tits to twelve pack.
fullerene
3/17/09 2:36:11PM

Posted by seanfu
170 is probably healthy for you if you cant run it off with that kind of work.

This is what I'm thinking. You didn't mention your height or age, but you've lost 23 pounds (congratulations) and weigh what would be a fit weight for a lot of people. The fact that you can run 20 miles a week implies that you're not overweight or unhealthy as well.

Was it your doctor who gave you the target of 155?
The_Metal_Maniac
3/17/09 3:26:11PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by seanfu

This is what I'm thinking. You didn't mention your height or age, but you've lost 23 pounds (congratulations) and weigh what would be a fit weight for a lot of people. The fact that you can run 20 miles a week implies that you're not overweight or unhealthy as well.

No 155 just seemed like a good weight to target. I understand that the BMI charts don't apply to everyone as muscle weighs more than fat and body types or constructed differently. I just turned 25 and I am 5'6. I built myself up the wrong way and I want to become lean and cut instead of bulk and mass. I'm starting to think my body is just becoming acclimated to the exercise routine and my caloric intake per day. A switch in both substances consumed and exercise routine could help. I might look into some type of supplement such as N.O. Xplode. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Wolfenstein
3/17/09 3:52:58PM
Well the good news is you have a lot less fat to lose and that's why it's not coming off easilly. So congratulations on getting this far.

This is just my opinion, and other than being pretty fit myself--I'm no expert...but...I would try switching up my workout routine into higher intesity cardiovascular workouts. Instead of jogging 4 miles, switch it up into sprints, followed by less intense excercises that should be two to three times the length of your sprint.

You may already know this, but I'll say it anyway. Increase your water intake, and always drink before you eat, and eat foods high in fiber because they make you feel fuller.

I noticed that you've lost a lot of weight over a very short period, and sometimes your body will go into "survival mode" at this point, as your body can live twice as long off of fat as it can protein--if you're not eating enough calories it will begin to burn the protein. Too much too fast you know. So make sure you're not starving yourself.
seanfu
3/17/09 3:57:52PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Posted by fullerene

Posted by seanfu

No 155 just seemed like a good weight to target. I understand that the BMI charts don't apply to everyone as muscle weighs more than fat and body types or constructed differently. I just turned 25 and I am 5'6. I built myself up the wrong way and I want to become lean and cut instead of bulk and mass. I'm starting to think my body is just becoming acclimated to the exercise routine and my caloric intake per day. A switch in both substances consumed and exercise routine could help. I might look into some type of supplement such as N.O. Xplode. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

I have a simlar short guy bulky and naturally fatty phisique. I can tell you that time helps. If you're able to keep control of your weight, 6 months down the line you won't believe the difference. First year wrestling as a sophomore I was struggling to make 160, by the end of the season I weighed 147 walking weight. Time.

It will kill your power either way because your frame is reduced, but it won't be a proportianate loss so you'll probably still be a bull if that's what you are now. There's no secret to it. So unless your genetics are leaning freakishly one way you should have the last say in physique.

Posted by Wolfenstein

Well the good news is you have a lot less fat to lose and that's why it's not coming off easilly. So congratulations on getting this far.

This is just my opinion, and other than being pretty fit myself--I'm no expert...but...I would try switching up my workout routine into higher intesity cardiovascular workouts. Instead of jogging 4 miles, switch it up into sprints, followed by less intense excercises that should be two to three times the length of your sprint.

You may already know this, but I'll say it anyway. Increase your water intake, and always drink before you eat, and eat foods high in fiber because they make you feel fuller.

I noticed that you've lost a lot of weight over a very short period, and sometimes your body will go into "survival mode" at this point, as your body can live twice as long off of fat as it can protein--if you're not eating enough calories it will begin to burn the protein. Too much too fast you know. So make sure you're not starving yourself.

I had to spread the love.
The_Metal_Maniac
3/17/09 4:33:31PM
Thanks for all the advice guys
Jackelope
3/17/09 4:38:50PM
Wolfenstein kind of hit the nail on the head with part of his post.

I wouldn't suggest dropping any lower than 1,500 calories in a day. Especially if you're already running 4 miles in that day. You're probably already too low to be honest. Instead I'd focus on cleaning up what that 1,500 calories constitutes. Eat healthier, but still intake those calories. Your body needs them
Gipper
3/18/09 3:15:21PM
switch your whole routine
jogging to wind sprints(30-45 secs all out sprint with a minute or 2 of rest in between)
if you lift weights go lighter weight and more reps and/or sets

i don't know a whole bunch on diet and **** but i have gone from 205 down to 175 since the start of december and i try and change up my routine every 6 weeks and eat 4 or 5 small meals a day. i eat clean and train during the week days and do whatever the hell i want on the weekend. don't give up your one cheat day your body is obviously in pretty good shape so your body will just burn off the one day of junk food like nothing.

try the 2 suggestions i said and let me know how it goes dude.
jocka
3/25/09 4:55:02PM
First off forget about doing more rep at the gym, second you need to remember that if you add muscle mass your weight will still go up even if you bady Fat% goes down.

One thing i do to lose weight is to run on an empty stomach in the morning, as soon as i get up i go for a 15-20 minutes jog, don't over do it you need to listen to your body.

Your body won't have a choice to burn your fat, but it is a bit dangerous. Works great though
innovater450
3/25/09 8:21:50PM
n.o. explode rocks!!!!! I swear by that stuff......watch the sugar intake.....it will stick with you more than anything