Dieting advice

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Dieting advice
The_Metal_Maniac
6/10/07 2:50:12PM
I need some advice on dieting. Some meal ideas because I’m pretty much clueless on what I should be eating. How many grams of this and that I should consume etc.. I’m 5’7 and my walking weight is 168, I want to drop to about 155. I run about 2 miles five days a week, and I also weight train. I’m attempting to get lean and cut. I might be going about this all wrong. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
fedorwins1
6/10/07 3:11:34PM
Well what's your diet like now? What types of things do you eat?
The_Metal_Maniac
6/10/07 3:26:04PM
Prob take in 1600 calories a day. The past week I kept up with lean proteins such as salmon, halibut, chicken breast, and lean turkey. I switched to whole grain bread. I'm also attempting to eliminate snacking.
fedorwins1
6/10/07 3:40:34PM
Sounds like you're doing good to me.
bayonetxwork
6/10/07 7:16:40PM

Posted by roncomanjason

Prob take in 1600 calories a day. The past week I kept up with lean proteins such as salmon, halibut, chicken breast, and lean turkey. I switched to whole grain bread. I'm also attempting to eliminate snacking.

Thats a good start. Really though, shoot for 1700 calories a day, therefore you can put more protein/calories/carbs etc into each meal. That may sound like a lot, but if your looking to lose weight which 1600 calories a day would do, you really want to take in a little more. The main concept of burning fat is to keep your metabolism running so you don't store excess sugars that turn into fat cells. I'm not sure what your routine is like, try the 5 or 6 smaller meals per day, if you haven't already, just to see if you can live like that. To eliminate snacking, just look for richer foods with more fiber, that will make you feel more "filled up," as a matter of fact, go to your local drug store and you can buy fiber supplements. Just a little powder you put into water, and usually comes out tasting like green tea, so its not like a thick protein shake or anything, and its very low in calories anyways. Oh and one last thing, avoid high fructose corn syrup, HFCS is mostly found in soda's, and other sugar abundant drinks, so if your going to drink soda, atleast drink diet since they will cut that ingredient out.

Hope it helps, and let us know how its going.
Mastodon2
6/11/07 10:30:21AM
I started a diet recently, Im 5" 11 1/2', walk around at about 195lbs and I would like to burn my fat off (could probably lose 8 or 9lbs of it) and that would get me to the to 185ish, then Id only have to cut 5lbs for Muay Thai competition and I could fight in the next weight class down the ladder. Im strong enough as it is, so Im not all that concerned with building more muscle, which will just push me back up the ladder.

I cut out all sweets, no candy or chocolate, no crisps, basically any fatty snacks are gone. Ive totally cut all junk food and fast food, eatting a hell of a lot of salad, Cous Cous, Brown Rice, Tuna and Chicken to make up for it. Combined with a new training program to get me into shape for Muay Thai, I should be in pretty good shape for fighting
szucconi
6/11/07 6:05:47PM
Try this site. http://www.nutritiondata.com/

You can track what you take in and what things you eat have in them. Its mostly for fatties, but you can use it to develop a fighters diet.

The times that you eat seem to be important. Eat early and eat often. Don't skip breakfast and eat a lot of small meals all day. I know it helped me keep my weight down for wrestling.
bayonetxwork
6/11/07 8:40:04PM

Posted by szucconi

Try this site. http://www.nutritiondata.com/

You can track what you take in and what things you eat have in them. Its mostly for fatties, but you can use it to develop a fighters diet.

The times that you eat seem to be important. Eat early and eat often. Don't skip breakfast and eat a lot of small meals all day. I know it helped me keep my weight down for wrestling.

Yep, breakfast, and a before dinner snack are the most important meals of the day. While your sleeping, your metabolism is technically stalling for 8 hours. You need to eat good meals before bed, and when you wake up in order to boost your metabolism in the morning, and to keep it running as long as possible throughout the night.
The_Metal_Maniac
6/11/07 9:05:49PM
What do you recommend as a before dinner snack, and a good breakfast. I work 8 hours a day so it's hard to eat every two hours to boost my metabolism. Everyone who is giving me advice thanks, all will be put to use.
bayonetxwork
6/12/07 7:07:17AM

Posted by roncomanjason

What do you recommend as a before dinner snack, and a good breakfast. I work 8 hours a day so it's hard to eat every two hours to boost my metabolism. Everyone who is giving me advice thanks, all will be put to use.

Stick to a low calorie, whole wheat based meal, they make that whole grain oatmeal which is a great choice, and it's easy to make. I usually just have two slices of whole wheat toast, with some peanut butter on it for breakfast. And then at night some triscuits with cheese. Obviously, stay away from sugars because your body will store those overnight, rather than burn them.
Mastodon2
6/12/07 8:28:26AM
For breakfast I have Oatiflakes (just wholegrain oats basically) with a bananna chopped up and thrown in, with semi skimmed milk, and a glass of OJ or apple juice or something.
bayonetxwork
6/12/07 2:59:30PM

Posted by Mastodon2

For breakfast I have Oatiflakes (just wholegrain oats basically) with a bananna chopped up and thrown in, with semi skimmed milk, and a glass of OJ or apple juice or something.

Watch out for the juices. Apple juice can be deceiving with how much sugar name brand companies throw in there.
Mastodon2
6/12/07 3:38:20PM
Yeah I know apple juice aint that good for me, but I drink Iced water almost exclusively throughout the rest of the day, so It balances out in the end

Iced Water also helps burn calories, Its endothermic inside your body, and literally sucks heat out of surrounding tissues, heat created by expending chemical energy. I used to have a poster about it around here somewhere, part of a promo pack about why Water was the healthy option (as if we needed a poster to know that! )
tam0k0
6/21/07 4:47:27AM
Ok guys please bare with me, kind of new to this... I need to drop weight (fat!) I am trying to develope a diet that helps this, where do I start.

All this counting and tech talk regards diet is over my head.
Rush
6/21/07 7:56:43AM
If you are really looking to drop a lot of weight (i.e. you are overweight) Talk to you doctor and/or nutritionist.