Diego Sanchez: One win away from UFC title shot at 155 pounds?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Diego Sanchez: One win away from UFC title shot at 155 pounds?
SmileR
4/4/09 9:26:47PM
Currently on a three-fight win streak, UFC welterweight-turned-lightweight Diego Sanchez (20-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) believes he's one solid win away from a shot at the UFC's lightweight 155-pound title.

And on the most recent episode of HDNet's "Inside MMA," Sanchez said the UFC feels the same way.

"I have been given word that a dominating victory over Clay Guida, which I intend to do, will be put me right in my spot for the title shot," Sanchez said.

Sanchez meets Guida at the Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale on June 20 in Las Vegas.

Sanchez, winner of season one of "The Ultimate Fighter," went through a rough stretch in 2007 with back-to-back decision losses to Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck - the first two losses of his then-five-year-old career.

Sanchez believes his first-round TKO win over Florian in 2005's original Ultimate Fighter Finale, and his size advantage in his new division, prove he's ready for the challenge.

"Being one of the biggest 155-pounders is going to give me a great edge," Sanchez said. "I've beat Kenny Florian in a decisive fashion, so I put myself as a No. 1 contender - and I'm here to prove that."

Link
NatedawgThaM
4/4/09 9:44:16PM
Even though I'm a diego fan, I really don't like this. Maybe if he just completely ran through, dominated, and finished Joe Daddy, I would say sure. But he didn't show he's 100% comfortable at 155. maybe it was just his gameplan to outpoint him, but until I see the old aggressive relentless Diego, I wouldn't throw him at BJ. But if he can run through and finish Clay Guida, I would definitely change my mind because he though Guida's no BJ or GSP, he's a tough dude and extremely hard fighter to beat nevertheless finish.

Maybe if this one win was against Sherk or the BJ/Kenny loser then I'd say hell yeah, go for it. But more then likely it'd be a decision win over Guida even though it'll be a mad sick fight.

I say Guida, then Sherk or BJ/Kenny loser. Then that sets up his title fight perfectly IMO. Since Guida has beaten two tough guys in a row who have been on rolls themselves.Nevertheless I see him winning the belt, just not yet!
StPierreCanada
4/4/09 9:51:55PM
I think he deserves the title shot if he can beat Guida, honestly. Who else has proven their dominance more than Diego at LW besides Florian if Diego beats Guida? Diego or Sherk should get the next shot.
sclasclemski
4/4/09 10:29:15PM
I think they probaly will give Diego the shot with a win over Guida and let Sherk due a #1 contender fight with someone (assuming he gets by Frankie Edgar)
maybe Gray Maynard?
UFCmma666
4/4/09 10:36:24PM
i dont really think he should get a title shot until he beats the loser of florian penn
Loot613
4/4/09 10:39:22PM
It could also be said that Guida would be very close to a title shot if he beats Diego... don't think that is gonna happen but this is MMA we're talking about....
sclasclemski
4/4/09 10:44:19PM

i dont really think he should get a title shot until he beats the loser of florian penn

He already beat Kenny once [
UFCmma666
4/4/09 11:03:32PM
kenny was fighting two weight classes above then normal and didnt have the great muay thai skills he has today i definetely see kenny beating diego this time around
MLSparker
4/5/09 2:12:20AM

Posted by UFCmma666

kenny was fighting two weight classes above then normal and didnt have the great muay thai skills he has today i definetely see kenny beating diego this time around

Totally agree. Not only was he outweighed but he only had like 3 fights prior to the show. IMO Kenny has grown more than anyone to come off the ultimate fighter. and not only would he beat Diego, i think he KOs him.
finnish_line
4/5/09 9:41:57AM

Diego would mildly deserve a title shot with a win over Guida.

Guida would unquestionably deserve a title shot with a win over Diego.

Keep Sherk back for now. Let him fight Maynard (assuming Sherk beats Edgar). Get a true #1 contender for early-mid 2010 ready, but the winner of Diego/Guida should get first dibs now.

FRESH MATCHUPS!
sparky
4/5/09 10:40:49AM
Diego is one of my favorite fighters but defeating Guida in my opinion does not earn you a title shot!!!!
motorboatensob
4/5/09 12:07:06PM
Come on the 155LW division is like the 205LHW division. There are a lot more fighters out there to beat than Joe Daddy and Clay, not there not good but there are to many other guys who have been fighting in that division longer who Diego needs to fight.
wapttn
4/5/09 12:22:44PM
I can't believe what I'm hearing here. Why is it that Sanchez deserves a titleshot after beating guida? The only times I've agreed that a fighter gets to jump the line to a titleshot is when his performances are so completely dominant that you look at the guys between him and number1 contendership and think that he'll blow right past them. Right now I can think of several fighters who would give sanchez fits...

Griffin
Sherk
Huerta
Maynard

not to mention that penn or florian will be available for a match after the title fight.

You have any idea the kind of performance and dominance sanchez would have to show over guida to prove that he could blow past this list? People are saying that sanchez's win over florian means something.... what exactly does it mean? That was 4 years ago, with florian fighting at 185. Since then florian has evolved as a fighter. If you're looking for a comparison between the two... here's one thats a lot more relevant... Sanchez went to a decision with Stevenson... Florian subbed him early in the first.

What we should, and probably will see is florian losing to penn, sherk beating edgar... setting up a rematch between sherk and penn and a rematch between florian and sanchez. There are fighters better than guida in the ufc that you should have to get past to earn a titleshot, and florian is the perfect fit.
whardin19
4/5/09 12:52:32PM
I'm definetally a Diego fan and he'll probably get a title shot if he beat Guida. But, I think he needs more than just that win. Maybe face Sherk after Guida. If he defeats Sherk then he'd definetally deserve a title shot.
whardin19
4/5/09 12:55:01PM

Posted by wapttn

I can't believe what I'm hearing here. Why is it that Sanchez deserves a titleshot after beating guida? The only times I've agreed that a fighter gets to jump the line to a titleshot is when his performances are so completely dominant that you look at the guys between him and number1 contendership and think that he'll blow right past them. Right now I can think of several fighters who would give sanchez fits...

Griffin
Sherk
Huerta
Maynard .

Are you seriously kidding me? I think Diego would kill Huerta! I also don't see Maynard or Griffin beating him either. Sherk would be the toughest test on that list.
wapttn
4/5/09 1:40:59PM
I put huerta on there cause of a little mmath... Huerta was the only guy to ever take florian to a decision. If Huerta can survive florian when stevenson couldn't.. maybe he deserves a shot.

Maynard, I see him being able to do sanchez what fitch did to him

Griffin.. I dont see an area where you could say sanchez has a significant advantage.

I'm not saying that any of these guys would be big favourites, but I think all these fighters have a better chance of beating him than guida would.

finnish_line
4/5/09 3:29:58PM

Posted by wapttn

I put huerta on there cause of a little mmath... Huerta was the only guy to ever take florian to a decision.

Sherk also took Florian to a decision, and it went against Florian.

But who wants to see Penn/Sherk 2?
wapttn
4/5/09 3:38:56PM
my mistake, i meant in terms of florians wins.
FGCU
4/5/09 4:25:57PM
First of all Clay Guida isn't even a top contender. I'm not sure why Diego

should become the #1 contender after fighting him. He shoud be fighting

sherk, edgar, or maynard to get a shot. But he'll probably beat Clay and get his

shot against the winner of Penn/Florian. Penn will beat Florian and then beat

Sanchez so nothing will change in the end.
team_demon_fighter
4/5/09 4:58:31PM
i love diego, and he is a great fighter and a big time force at 155. an i do feel that he is roughly one win away from a title shot. but that is one real win, one big win. not a clay guida win. lol. he needs to beat.. franca, sherk, florian, penn, someone actually in the top of the chain. not clay guida who lost to nate diaz but won bcuz judges dont judge the fight correctly, just think if u hold someone better than you win the fight.. clay isnt good, he needs to dominate him to keep his name even in any kind of title talk.
prozacnation1978
4/5/09 9:13:41PM
i would have to agree i think sherk is 2 wins away no one else comes close after florian
KaibaThedon
4/6/09 4:14:31PM
dirty sanchez will have to beat at least sherk, maynard or tyson griffin before he is even considered for a title shot... this is of course after he beats guida
Red-Dragon
4/6/09 4:47:29PM

Posted by wapttn

my mistake, i meant in terms of florians wins.

Your MMA math has forgotten to include the fact that if Huerta took Florian to a decision then surely Diego smashing Florian in the first round should count.

Also I can't see Griffin getting anywhere near Diego. Griffin throws bombs for 3 rounds and does not knock anyone out. The boy has no power.
Blizzard
4/6/09 7:36:25PM
I would like to see Diego vs. Kenny II.
I think Diego would take it again, but I don't think it would be so one sided as the first time.
I like Diego, but I think you need to have more than one fight at that weight class before a title shot, no matter who you are.