Diego Sanchez set to give Penn a “Nightmare” at 155lbs

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Diego Sanchez set to give Penn a “Nightmare” at 155lbs
Wolfenstein
12/4/08 3:42:25PM
Speaking on his MySpace blog, Sanchez revealed:

“So my account got hacked and it took a while to get it fixed, but I’m back. I’m training hard and will be dropping down to fight at 155. I will keep you all posted on the info of the fight! But I promise you all that I will do my best to win.”

link
Aaronno9
12/4/08 3:47:40PM
Sanchez vs kenny 2 would be sick. I can see him doing very well at 155, and theres lots of good fights for him down there.
Twenty20Dollars
12/4/08 3:53:49PM
He's going to be big at 155!

Sanchez vs Guida
motorboatensob
12/4/08 3:58:01PM
I wounder why he is dropping down to 155 he was getting back to being on a roll a 170 with is only set back being not being able to fight Thiago because of his shoulder.
higdon10
12/4/08 3:59:43PM
Sanchez is going to be scary at LW.
tooly236
12/4/08 4:02:14PM
I am a little suprised that his is going down right now, he looked awesome at his last fight.
Panochador
12/4/08 4:06:38PM
HA! He won't give Penn a nightmare. That is laughable!

He won't be able to get past a guy like Sherk to even get a shot at Penn's title.

Florian could beat him now at 155, too. Diego's stand up is awful, and he would get picked apart by a much improved Florian.

I don't think he could even beat Joe Daddy at 155...

And there's NO WAY IN HELL Sanchez would ever be able to beat BJ Penn, EVER.
Wolfenstein
12/4/08 4:17:49PM
It makes a lot of sense in the respect that Kenny Florian is dominating at 155 and Diego dominated Kenny in their previous bout. So I would assume he's thinking, "Well imagine what I could do in that division if he's killing all the 155'ers).

I think it's a good move, as he really wasn't cutting any weight at 170lbs and some of the 170lb fighters are dropping from 200. He also matches up better with Penn than he would with GSP.

I think he can dominate at 155. Lots of good matchups, especially a rematch with the ever-improving Florian that wouldnt be the one-sided affair their last fight was.
loonytnt
12/4/08 5:03:36PM
the only nightmare diego will give penn is '' penn wins by sub!!no sub of the night??!! NO!!!!!''(penn wakes up)
bls1919
12/4/08 5:08:08PM
Should be interesting to see how he deals with the weight cut. I think he could do well at 155 but just like 170 will never fight for a title. Diego is good and getting better but i have my doubts. I think his best shot is a 170.
MMAcca
12/4/08 5:13:49PM
Diego is a monster! A lot of people don't give him his dues imo.

I think he will cause a lot of problems for a lot of fighters at 155 and will easily rise to being one of the best in the division.
seanfu
12/4/08 5:21:16PM
Think of Diego as a Vera of 170. Just like vera, everything that makes him special at 170 will be nullified. I look foreward to seeing his first fight and really I could see him making it to the top ten of the UFC LW division, but, that feirce unending cardio force with superior speed that he is will be lost in the weight cut.

Plus at 170 everyone in the top 15 except Thiago is a grappler. That's why Diego looks so impressive standing (plus weight difference)

At 155, look for 2 or 3 unimpressive wins before losing a decision. I may eat my words but I had a crystal ball going with my Vera prediction and I was dead on.
Wolfenstein
12/4/08 5:28:41PM

Posted by seanfu

Think of Diego as a Vera of 170. Just like vera, everything that makes him special at 170 will be nullified. I look foreward to seeing his first fight and really I could see him making it to the top ten of the UFC LW division, but, that feirce unending cardio force with superior speed that he is will be lost in the weight cut.

Plus at 170 everyone in the top 15 except Thiago is a grappler. That's why Diego looks so impressive standing (plus weight difference)

At 155, look for 2 or 3 unimpressive wins before losing a decision. I may eat my words but I had a crystal ball going with my Vera prediction and I was dead on.

I don't really see the comparison between Diego and Vera, because Diego comes in shape every fight, whereas Vera always comes in looking out of shape.

Some guys have dropped from 170, and haven't realy mssed a beat, some even improved their cardio. I would just throw out Sean Sherkand BJ Penn as a couple of examples that just because you drop a class, doesn't mean you're going to lose your cardio. It could very well happen because you're right, weight cutting can take its toll on a fighters stamina. I think he'll cut weigt the right way though to keep the cardio strong.
Porch28
12/4/08 5:36:13PM
Penn will KILL him.I can't stand Diego and he couldn't even make it to a title shot at 170 and I think 155 is more stacked then ww and he is in no way in Penn's league. Although I would have loved to see him fight Hughes or GSP.
Gipper
12/4/08 5:48:33PM
i'll say it again if diego goes down he will become lw champ one day. him along with penn will be a step above all the other lw's in ufc and the world. who knows we could see these 2 fighting for the ww chapionship down the road instead.
Shawn17
12/4/08 5:55:18PM
Penn is better than diego at every aspect of mma.
juanez13
12/4/08 6:33:58PM
definitely like this move. Will be interesting to see how he looks at 155.

Its gonna make for some great fights, his fast-paced fighting styles platys right into the division.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
12/4/08 6:51:48PM
I think its a smart move as well, he was doing good at 170 I think he will do good at 155
I'm likeing the idea of sanchez against Huerta, Guida, Nate Diaz haha the fireworks for that shit talking battle would be good.
Franca, Guillard-definately test Diegos chin and Stout.
I think all these would be exciting as well as Penn and Florian
theguido
12/4/08 7:04:43PM
Can anyone say Sanchez VS the other Diaz that would be a great place for Diego to start.
higdon10
12/4/08 7:12:48PM
I think that Diego will be a stud at 155. Im really suprised at everyones reaction.
prozacnation1978
12/4/08 8:02:03PM
would love to see ken flo vs nightmare rematch
StriderXero
12/4/08 9:50:45PM
with all due respect to Kenny............I feel he would get another beating by Diego.
EvenFlow
12/4/08 11:23:35PM

Posted by tooly236

I am a little suprised that his is going down right now, he looked awesome at his last fight.

He saw what happened to Kos and dipped, I knew he was going to demolish Kos or Diego but Diego knew it after watching that display of dominance.

I agree with most Diego will be awesome at 155 possibly #2 or 3 only under Sherk but not on BJ's level, not even close.
quezocrema0032
12/4/08 11:27:34PM
i would love to see sherk vs deigo ... honnestly i think deigo would beat kenny again so hes number 3 ... and very easily number 2 as he might be able 2 beat sherk ... cant wait 2 see deigo vs penn ... but it wont be very competitive =)
roman
12/5/08 4:21:39AM

Posted by Gipper

i'll say it again if diego goes down he will become lw champ one day. him along with penn will be a step above all the other lw's in ufc and the world. who knows we could see these 2 fighting for the ww chapionship down the road instead.

I just don't see Diego beating Sherk, same goes with KenFlo. I also feel that's a big reason KenFlo won't fight Sherk before Penn. If he loses, he wouldn't have the title shot, Sherk would AGAIN.

Sherk is the next best to Penn in the UFC.
Panochador
12/5/08 10:10:30AM

Posted by roman

Posted by Gipper

I just don't see Diego beating Sherk, same goes with KenFlo. I also feel that's a big reason KenFlo won't fight Sherk before Penn. If he loses, he wouldn't have the title shot, Sherk would AGAIN.

Sherk is the next best to Penn in the UFC.

You are exactly right.

Diego is a weaker, slower, worse striking, worse wrestling, less conditioned version of Sean Sherk.
tmas
12/5/08 10:17:41AM
i see a tournament comming waiting for BJ vs GSP, and whatever suspensions/healing time needed.

Nate Diaz
Sean Sherk
Diego Sanchez
Kenny Florian
Spencer Fisher
Roger Huerta
Gray Maynard
Phillipe Nover (if wins finale)
Efrain Escudero (if wins finale)
Joe Stevenson
Matt Wiman
Frank Edgar
Nick Diaz (if able to return)

Probly not all of these guys but 4-8 of them depending on if BJ gets suspended/hurt in the GSP fight and how long.

I would love to see

Nate Diaz v Matt Wiman
Gray Maynard v Huerta
Winner of Finale v Frank Edgar
Joe Stevenson v Fisher
Diego v Florian
Sherk v Nick Diaz

I think an actual tourny will be, any undefeated (Nover, Efrain (winner of finale), Gray Maynard)
Diego if he wins debut at 155
Sherk
Florian
Diaz(s)
Porch28
12/5/08 11:44:23AM

Posted by StriderXero

with all due respect to Kenny............I feel he would get another beating by Diego.

You are CRAZY. Kenny has been dominant he would whoop Diego's ASSSSSSS and I would do an avatar bet if that fight ever happens
Porch28
12/5/08 12:03:49PM

Posted by tmas

i see a tournament comming waiting for BJ vs GSP, and whatever suspensions/healing time needed.

Nate Diaz
Sean Sherk
Diego Sanchez
Kenny Florian
Spencer Fisher
Roger Huerta
Gray Maynard
Phillipe Nover (if wins finale)
Efrain Escudero (if wins finale)
Joe Stevenson
Matt Wiman
Frank Edgar
Nick Diaz (if able to return)

Probly not all of these guys but 4-8 of them depending on if BJ gets suspended/hurt in the GSP fight and how long.

I would love to see

Nate Diaz v Matt Wiman
Gray Maynard v Huerta
Winner of Finale v Frank Edgar
Joe Stevenson v Fisher
Diego v Florian
Sherk v Nick Diaz

I think an actual tourny will be, any undefeated (Nover, Efrain (winner of finale), Gray Maynard)
Diego if he wins debut at 155
Sherk
Florian
Diaz(s)

Your forgetting Guida and Griffin
jocka
12/5/08 12:07:02PM
I think its a good move form him but i don't see him ever being a champ, he will be stuck in the same position as in the WW position. He will be top 10 maybee top 5 in the UFC but thats it. Penn - Sherk - Kenny - Stevenson IMO beats him. I'll say this much, he hasn't fought at 155lbs yet so we never know...

They should let Nate Diaz be his first test.