Diego Sanchez To Headline TUF Finale

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Diego Sanchez To Headline TUF Finale
BlazinSaddle
3/19/08 2:35:19AM
Link

Diego Sanchez (Pictures) will return to the Octagon June 21 in Las Vegas in the main event of "The Ultimate Fighter 7" finale, sources have told Sherdog.com. He is expected to square off against Luigi Fioravanti (Pictures) in a welterweight tilt that will follow a series of bouts involving participants of the upcoming season of the UFC's reality show.
Nightmare27
3/19/08 3:10:37AM
I cant wait!!! I would like to see him against better competition but he should win this one going away.
Kpro
3/19/08 5:11:57AM
YAWN.

Fioravanti is better on the feet but Diego will get it to the ground for some GNP.

How long are they going to give Diego to improve before they put him back in with belt-level competition.
CornishMMA
3/19/08 6:43:15AM
What do you mean Kpro??? He was coming off 2 straight losses to top level competition and has only had 1 fight since against low level opposition. This fight against a mid level guy like Luigi is perfect matchmaking imo!

Dunno about it being the main event of the TUF Finale tho
Its hardly on the same level as Guida Huerta or BJ Pulver. and considering all the big fights around that time im sure they could find a better one for it
disturbed_fighter
3/19/08 8:31:43AM
diegos the man
Chuteboxer
3/19/08 8:51:25AM
wow...I like Diego, but what a way for Luigi to get thrown to the wolves....sucks for him.
MondayNiteMauser
3/19/08 8:52:45AM
I was hoping for Deigo vs. the winner of Swick and Davis. Luigi Fiorvanti showed me absolutely nothing against Cummo..I think Deigo dominates this fight and will probably end it with in the first 2 minutes. I don't think Luigi is even close with deigo and i find this match up very poor.....A koscheck rematch would've been sweet, but i guess the UFC has other plans.
Ordep
3/19/08 9:31:03AM

Posted by CornishMMA

What do you mean Kpro??? He was coming off 2 straight losses to top level competition and has only had 1 fight since against low level opposition. This fight against a mid level guy like Luigi is perfect matchmaking imo!

Dunno about it being the main event of the TUF Finale tho
Its hardly on the same level as Guida Huerta or BJ Pulver. and considering all the big fights around that time im sure they could find a better one for it

I don't think that 2L streak would affect him that much since he was sick for the first one and the other was a really close split decision against the guy with the hottest winning streak in the UFC.
StevieC
3/19/08 10:17:02AM
A better fight would be vs KOS
StevieC
3/19/08 10:18:32AM

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

I was hoping for Deigo vs. the winner of Swick and Davis. Luigi Fiorvanti showed me absolutely nothing against Cummo..I think Deigo dominates this fight and will probably end it with in the first 2 minutes. I don't think Luigi is even close with deigo and i find this match up very poor.....A koscheck rematch would've been sweet, but i guess the UFC has other plans.

Sorry didn't read all the way down, I agree about KOS they both want to fight each other again so it only makes sense. My money would be on Sanchez second time around considering that Dustin Hazlett almost made Kos his bitch...
gsquat
3/19/08 10:57:59AM
I think its a pretty good matchup, and a win for Diego. Diego does everything Luigi does, only better.
NatedawgThaM
3/19/08 11:05:14AM
I think this will be a great fight! Diego keeps improving on his stand up and is one of the best grapplers in the division not to mention he's explosive as hell and it's almost impossible to hold him down on his back.

I think it will be a great fight to watch, they will exchange on the feet with Diego holding his own until he eventually takes him down and either submits him or stops him with punches quickly.

I'd say Diego 1st round submission.
scoozna
3/19/08 12:53:15PM

Posted by Kpro

YAWN.

Fioravanti is better on the feet but Diego will get it to the ground for some GNP.

How long are they going to give Diego to improve before they put him back in with belt-level competition.

I tend to agree here - should've been given a tougher opponent.
ncordless
3/19/08 1:36:44PM
This match up makes sense to me. But as a headliner on a live card? I never thought I'd hear "UFC main event" and "Luigi Flioravanti"(sp) in the same sentence.
whardin19
3/19/08 2:25:46PM
I was excited when I read the headline of this. But then when I saw his opponent, I was like "Man Fiorvanti in a main event?". His opponenet for a main event is pretty weak. I mean come on! The last TUF finale we got Huerta vs. Guida! This is by far a weak main event. Hopefully the kids from the TUF show give us some good fights that night.
RampageOwnedYou
3/19/08 2:38:48PM
Just another fight for UFC to protect its fighters in which they love. (Diego, Griffin, Cummo etc.)
Diego needs to fight Koscheck again, or someone at that level. To me this is a joke, who cares......plain and simple
silverbullet
3/19/08 2:42:44PM
I think it's a decent matchup. Luigi Fioravanti is no Koscheck, but he's a solid opponent
NatedawgThaM
3/19/08 2:47:46PM
Who did you guys really expect him to fight? Karo and Fitch are waiting for title shots if Karo gets past Thiago. Kos has stated he does not want to fight Diego anytime soon, and wants him to wait as long as he had to wait.

Swick and Marcus Davis are fighting each other and both are untested at WW. Hughes only wants to fight Serra at this point in his career and another possible loss added would kill any marketablility for that fight.

Diego would have to wait several months to get a decent opponent. Plus most UFC fans didn't even know he had a fight at UFC 82. I think it's a great fight for him to make his way back up. If he runs through Lugi like that David Dude, it will set him up possibly with Kos or another person close to a title shot like the winner of Swick/Davis.
billycarnage
3/19/08 2:52:06PM
Diego 1st round tko (GNP)
Fioravanti is tough but I think this fight is more for him than Diego. All diego can gain is momentum. But I agree on the Swick/Davis comment. Or even Kos.
RampageOwnedYou
3/19/08 3:01:42PM

Fioravanti is tough but I think this fight is more for him than Diego. All diego can gain is momentum.

Good point. Maybe Luigi deserves a little more than I gave him, from what I see, he trains with American Top Team.
I just think Diego needs to fight at the top again, seems like his loss to Koscheck has delayed him from getting a title shot. I am no fan of Diego but I think its about f'ing time he gets his shot. Enuff with this unproven guys and give the guy his due.
RMFG_187
3/19/08 4:29:43PM
alwayz said it and alwayz have.

DIEGO IS WAY OVERRATED!!!

WAR LUIGI !!!!!!!!!

Luigi Round 1 KO, you watch
RMFG_187
3/19/08 4:31:35PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Who did you guys really expect him to fight? Karo and Fitch are waiting for title shots if Karo gets past Thiago. Kos has stated he does not want to fight Diego anytime soon, and wants him to wait as long as he had to wait.

Swick and Marcus Davis are fighting each other and both are untested at WW. Hughes only wants to fight Serra at this point in his career and another possible loss added would kill any marketablility for that fight.

Diego would have to wait several months to get a decent opponent. Plus most UFC fans didn't even know he had a fight at UFC 82. I think it's a great fight for him to make his way back up. If he runs through Lugi like that David Dude, it will set him up possibly with Kos or another person close to a title shot like the winner of Swick/Davis.

actually i would kill to see Alves vs Sanchez or Davis vs Sanchez.. Sanchez can and would beat Thiago, but it would be an awesome fight. and Marcus Davis would put Diego in a coma!
DBest
3/19/08 5:17:14PM
Diego is one of my favorite fighters. I don't see why people are counting out Lugi though. He is a decent wrestler, also a pretty big welterweight, and he has very heavy hands.

Diego by tko strikes round 3
prozacnation1978
3/19/08 5:33:34PM
how do you go from bj penn vs jens pulver and roger huerta vs clay guida too this finale?? what's next kendall grove vs charles mc carthy??
billycarnage
3/19/08 5:47:56PM

Posted by RMFG_187

WAR LUIGI !!!!!!!!!

Makes no sense! If you think that then by your logic Fitch is overrated cause he eeked out a contraversial split-d and Karo too cause Diego kicked his ass all over the ring. Luigi loses.
I do want to see Sanchez vs Davis I think that would be an explosive fight!
RMFG_187
3/19/08 8:37:59PM

Posted by billycarnage

Posted by RMFG_187

WAR LUIGI !!!!!!!!!

Makes no sense! If you think that then by your logic Fitch is overrated cause he eeked out a contraversial split-d and Karo too cause Diego kicked his ass all over the ring. Luigi loses.
I do want to see Sanchez vs Davis I think that would be an explosive fight!

just cause you win, does not make u a fighter with more skill, it just shows u were the better fighter that night. I will use the same guy in both examples. Serra was owning Shonie, and he is a better fighter than Shonie, yet that one strike KO'd him, then GSP vs Serra, Serra ROCKED GSP, Won by KO/TKO and there is no way he has more skill than GSP, he was just on his game that night. Diego was on a hot streak when he fought Karo, and Karo put one hell of a fight. and as for Fitch, i think he is over rated too, if u put him up against Hughes, GSP,or Davis, you will see him drop down the WW ladder. not saying Fitch sucks, hes a great fighter, but he is not even close too being as good as everyone says he is.
quezocrema0032
3/19/08 9:45:35PM
i think Diego Has to be the main event here season 1 winner is a coach and the other is the main event it all comes full circle ! but lugi ?!?!?! isnt the guy 3 and 3 in the ufc ? All the best welter weights are Booked For Awhile but i could think of a few guys better then lugi ... Roan Carnero, Ryo Chonan, Chris Lytle and y do they have 2 announce this so early ? if alves and karo ends quick maybe one of them would like this fight
candynuts
3/19/08 11:43:40PM
I dont think Luigi is TUF main event worthy, but that doesnt mean he is a scrub. He looked damn impressive against Cummo in his last fight., he literally threw him down like a ragdoll the entire fight. And he also has some good hands. I wouldnt recommend Diego standing up with him.
Should be a good fight.
jae_1833
3/19/08 11:47:38PM

Chris Lytle would be a real nice pick!!!
nastshabast
3/20/08 12:13:28AM
boo Dirty Sanchez ! If TUF7 is as good as the hype the only proper way to end the ultimate finale is for Rampage to introduce Forrest Griffin to his fists.