Diego Sanchez Guaranteed Shot at UFC Title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Diego Sanchez Guaranteed Shot at UFC Title
emfleek
7/21/09 11:07:50AM
According to lightweight Diego Sanchez, UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta and president Dana White have told him that he will be meeting the winner of the lightweight title bout between champion BJ Penn and Kenny Florian at UFC 101.

“Guaranteed,” Sanchez told Ron Kruck on the latest edition of Inside MMA. “It’s guaranteed. After August 2nd, it’s on. I get the winner.”

A few weeks back, Sanchez took exception to the fact that the division’s top contender, Florian – who he dominated to capture the “TUF 1? crown, will be getting his second shot at UFC gold while Diego has never seen a 25-minute title fight.

STORY
emfleek
7/21/09 11:08:46AM
I wonder if Diego realizes BJ and Florian don't fight until 8/8?

kopower
7/21/09 11:27:10AM
Sanchez going up against Penn will be a war. Yes, I'm already assuming Bj will still have the belt.
fizzle
7/21/09 11:50:18AM
I think Kenny or BJ would be able to beat Sanchez.
Khaos
7/21/09 12:12:19PM
Truthfully I don't think that Diego should get the shot. He should be fighting Gray Maynard or Frankie Edgar, and the winner of that fight should get the shot.
KaibaThedon
7/21/09 12:24:25PM
I really don't know what to say...

We will we will rock you

YES!

YES!
We will we will rock you
YES!

YES!
We will we will rock you

YES!

YES!
We will we will rock you
YES!

My fav part of TUF9 finale is when Joe Rogan says "on the underground MMA forums, Diego is constantly made fun of for this yes chant" (thats us. ROFL)

pinoymixplaya
7/21/09 12:24:57PM

Posted by Khaos

Truthfully I don't think that Diego should get the shot. He should be fighting Gray Maynard or Frankie Edgar, and the winner of that fight should get the shot.

I usually hate it too when the UFC lets certain guys leapfrog over other contenders for title shots but in this case I kind of agree with Sanchez's title shot. I think his fight over Guida was decisive enough and pretty much guaranteed his shot. When was the last time Frankie Edgar or Gray Maynard had a fight like that? And against a tough opponent such as Guida?

I think behind Diego is Gray Maynard and unless Gray gets a decisive win, meaning a stoppage, over a tough opponent, OR he beats everybody else in the division, then he won't be getting a title shot anytime soon.
Twenty20Dollars
7/21/09 12:33:19PM
Is there such a thing as a guarantee in the UFC?
NatedawgThaM
7/21/09 1:20:29PM
YES! haha The next Lightweight champion of the world. Im calling it. I think Diegos a bad match up for either of them. I think he'll just over power and out work Kenny again even though Kenny will definitely make it a hell of a fight since hes a ten times better fight but Diego will still take him I think and his pace will be too much for BJ too handle, he'll take him out in a similiar but more exciting fashion to what GSP did the 2nd time. Just bad match ups for them both. I think its gonna take a strong wrestler like Guida almost or Sherk that can just hold him down like Fitch the whole fight to beat him.

Diegos the man. An absolute beats right now, an actual nightmare for anybody at 155 right now IMO
Irish_Pride
7/21/09 1:47:44PM
Big fan of Diego Sanchez. Glad he is getting his shot at the title. I think he can beat both BJ and Kenny. They are both going to be interesting fights but I think Diego's too tough and his pace is too fast for both those guys. Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez I believe will the be the Future UFC Lightweight Champion of the World.
jahdoug
7/21/09 1:50:16PM
Im one of the biggest florian guys around, but it would be tough for him to best Diego. One of two routes to victory: Elbows from underneath to cut and blind him, or miraculous job of staying on the feet for two or three rounds worth of leg kicks to slow him up.
chickmagnet
7/21/09 1:58:38PM
BJ beats either Kenflo, or Diego.....
Nightmare27
7/21/09 2:19:06PM
I'll believe it when I see it. There is no such thing a guaranteed shot in the UFC. I got Sanchez against either of them though. Would love to see it.
theguido
7/21/09 3:06:11PM

Posted by Khaos

Tried to prop you but I must spread the love.
You are right on with this statement 2 wins in and they give this guy a shot at the belt. I would think a couple more fights being that the LW division is so deep.
prozacnation1978
7/21/09 3:08:48PM
no suprise there he earned it
my guess is in nov in las vegas likely
NewEnglandMMA
7/22/09 8:51:17PM
Diego hasn't gotten a shot at UFC gold because he lost to Josh Koscheck and John Fitch and dropped in weight classes.

So he beat Florian four years ago... Big deal... If we gave title shots over what happened five years ago...
Boo_Radley21
7/22/09 11:09:50PM
Mark my words everyone...Diego Sanchez will be the next lightweight champion of the world...