Diego Sanches VS Thiago Alves... is this legit??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Diego Sanches VS Thiago Alves... is this legit??
POLL: Sanchez or Alves
Sanchez 62% (26)
Alves 38% (16)
billycarnage
7/15/08 4:56:09PM
I see that they are set to fight on the UFC 89 card but UFC.com hasn't updated the card yet. This would be a dream come true but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I think Alves is the best test for Sanchez and winner would definately be considered for a title shot after BJ. IMO Sanchez is quicker and is capable of overwhelming Alves. I think Sanchez has a good shot here to solidify his top-5 status and that shot at the belt.

So I pick Sanchez via 3rd GNP TKO

What do you think?
Cdellorso
7/15/08 5:04:02PM
I think that Alves struggles to mke weight again and is drainned and Sanchez KOs him 3rd
Boo_Radley21
7/15/08 5:05:37PM
Sanchez takes this one in a close fight. But if Alves does struggle with weight again I think he should just move up to 185.
prozacnation1978
7/15/08 5:19:03PM
they usually weight a while to annouce all the fights give it a couple weeks, but i do think this should be the main event and not bisping vs leban fight
jocksmall
7/15/08 5:34:57PM
i think they need to add a main event to this card like a big nog title defense
nickcuc547
7/15/08 5:36:40PM
this is a tough one, diego can submit alves from his back or from top position, but will he be able to get the fight there? alves has superior strength, and knockout power. right now i'm leaning towards alves, but if diego pulls off a sub I won't be the least bit suprised. This could be fight of the year.
GrizzlyChadams
7/15/08 6:03:11PM
I've said it before and i'll say it again, your a fool if your picking sanchez. He couldn't even take down Luigi, do you honestly think he'll be able to take down Alves? And it's quite clear who the better striker is. I think Alves is going to destroy Diego.
billycarnage
7/15/08 6:15:47PM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

I've said it before and i'll say it again, your a fool if your picking sanchez.

Okay noob.
GrizzlyChadams
7/15/08 6:38:19PM
Noob? Very clever, i feel terrible about my comment now. We'll just have to see who's right.
jiujitsufreak74
7/15/08 7:11:40PM
Diego's fight with Luigi proved that he is extremely vulnerable to anyone with a sprawl. if Luigi could give Diego problems and even win a round (which i thought he did) i am 100% sure that Thiago will be able to win this fight. if Luigi can keep it standing and land punches, then Thiago can too. Diego has been exposed and Thiago will capitalize.

Thiago R2 KO

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

He couldn't even take down Luigi, do you honestly think he'll be able to take down Alves?

this is what i have been saying since this match-up was announced
eyeforeigneye
7/15/08 7:35:06PM
this should be a battle, both of these guys bring serious heat. it took me a little to decide, but im gonna say Thiago will edge him out and pick up the win... either UD or round 3 TKO
billycarnage
7/15/08 7:53:16PM
Diego's gameplan wasn't based on taking Luigi down. People thought that he would have the advantage there but he wasn't constantly looking for the takedown. I like how he mixed it up and I disagree I don't think he was "exposed". He dominated the fight everywhere it went and got the TKO.
This isn't a sure thing for either fighter. I wouldn't bet my house on Diego but I think he has a style that Thiago will have problems with mainly his speed, conditioning (mental and physical) and constant pace. I can see Diego winning in more ways than Thiago so I'll pick him.
GrizzlyChadams
7/15/08 8:01:09PM
It doesn't matter if it was Diegos gameplan or not. The fact is Diego is known for his ground game, and couldn't take Liegi down at all. Not only that but he was taken down himself fairly easily. This is going to make his fight with Alves very difficult because Alves is an incredibly supieror striker. If Diego can't take him down, he's going to have some very serious problems.

I think he's going to get KO'd with a knee going in for the takedown.
billycarnage
7/15/08 8:07:18PM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

We'll just have to see who's right.

Give Diego a little more credit. He is more JJ than Wrestling at this stage in his career and I promise he will find a way.
jiujitsufreak74
7/15/08 9:16:44PM

Posted by billycarnage

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

Give Diego a little more credit. He is more JJ than Wrestling at this stage in his career and I promise he will find a way.

i 1,000% disagree with that statement. i don't think you are further from the truth. at this stage of his career he has relied way more on his wrestling that his JJ. the last time he has won with an actual submission was more than 4 years ago. these days he relies on his new found love of boxing and his wrestling/GnP.
ChokeUout
7/16/08 12:35:42AM
I don't see why people think Diego Can't take alves down. I mean, Karo took him down, with a double leg, not a judo throw. Diego is a better wrestler than Karo. Hughes took him down once, and that's the new Slow, Old Hughes with telegraphed shots. I think Diego's Speed and Intensity will be too much for Alves. Even if Alves shrugs off the first couple takedowns, he's gonna have to bust his ass to make 170, which will take alot out of him. Sanchez will make it easy, which should give him more energy. Plus, Don't count Diego out if the fight remains on the feet for a while. I didn't think He'd have a chance against Luigi if he didn't take him down either. Granted, Alves is a much better striker than Luigi, but just saying, Diego has improved his striking alot, so don't count it out.

I think Alves might take the first round, but after that Diego's conditioning will prevail.

Sanchez via UD, probably 29-28.
billycarnage
7/16/08 10:47:45AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by billycarnage

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

i 1,000% disagree with that statement. i don't think you are further from the truth. at this stage of his career he has relied way more on his wrestling that his JJ. the last time he has won with an actual submission was more than 4 years ago. these days he relies on his new found love of boxing and his wrestling/GnP.

That's great buddy but I am referring to his FOCUS and he is more JJ right now as he trains with Saul Ribeiro than anything else. His stand up is ever improving and of course he relies on his wrestling which he's been doing his entire life, but BJJ is his main focus at this point in his career and he will looke to finish the fight where ever it goes.

Thiago is more challenging for Diego than Luigi was and Diego is going to give Thiago more problems than Huges could. The longer it lasts the better it'll be for Diego. I think his Killer instinct will give'm the edge.
Jlloyd
7/16/08 4:31:24PM
i've got Sanchez to take this, but will certainly be an interesting fight

glad the 89 card is starting to take shape with plenty of big names
jiujitsufreak74
7/16/08 6:34:26PM

Posted by billycarnage

That's great buddy but I am referring to his FOCUS and he is more JJ right now as he trains with Saul Ribeiro than anything else. His stand up is ever improving and of course he relies on his wrestling which he's been doing his entire life, but BJJ is his main focus at this point in his career and he will looke to finish the fight where ever it goes.

Thiago is more challenging for Diego than Luigi was and Diego is going to give Thiago more problems than Huges could. The longer it lasts the better it'll be for Diego. I think his Killer instinct will give'm the edge.

well you didn't mention "FOCUS" so i called you out since i have never seen Diego use JJ at a high level once, nor have i seen him do anything else but GnP when it goes to the ground. as a self proclaimed JJ freak, i haven't seen enough from Diego to make me think he will submit Thiago. Thiago will work on his sprawl a lot during this time and i guarantee you he keeps this on the feet and puts Diego out in the second.
billycarnage
7/16/08 8:03:14PM

Posted by billycarnage

well you didn't mention "FOCUS" so i called you out since i have never seen Diego use JJ at a high level once, nor have i seen him do anything else but GnP when it goes to the ground. as a self proclaimed JJ freak, i haven't seen enough from Diego to make me think he will submit Thiago. Thiago will work on his sprawl a lot during this time and i guarantee you he keeps this on the feet and puts Diego out in the second.

My bad.
That could happen but I think that Diego is more likely to sub Thiago than the other way around and I know Thiago is a Black Belt and Diego is a Blue. These are opinions and I love to go back and forth beacause it always happens when there is a good matchup. These guys are ranked 3 and 4 IMO and the winner should get a title shot. If any one can knock out Diego its Thiago. But he will have to bring his A game.

Here how about we Make an Avatar bet on this one? PM me.
Pookie
7/16/08 8:07:03PM
Alves' BJJ is much better than his wrestling, i think its more likely he gets held down and gnp'd then submitted... although i dont think Diego will win this.
jiujitsufreak74
7/16/08 8:29:21PM

Posted by billycarnage
My bad.
That could happen but I think that Diego is more likely to sub Thiago than the other way around and I know Thiago is a Black Belt and Diego is a Blue. These are opinions and I love to go back and forth beacause it always happens when there is a good matchup. These guys are ranked 3 and 4 IMO and the winner should get a title shot. If any one can knock out Diego its Thiago. But he will have to bring his A game.

Here how about we Make an Avatar bet on this one? PM me.

alright, i'll PM you on the details. and i have Diego at the very bottom of my top 10, he hasn't done anything lately imo to justify otherwise.
MMA
7/16/08 11:14:33PM
I think Diego is going to take this, his chin is mighty impressive.
fonduktoe
7/17/08 3:13:36AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

they usually weight a while to annouce all the fights give it a couple weeks, but i do think this should be the main event and not bisping vs leban fight

freudian slip there buddy
as for the fight i see diego taking this one
thiago is not getting a title shot cause of his weight issues (the ufc doesn't want another joe riggs or travis lutter scenario) so thiago needs to prove he can not only beat top guys but make the 170
style-wise i think this is a bad match up for thiago. diego has a great pace and his standup can hang w/thiago's. the difference is that he has good shots (especially compared to the current hughes) and great ground control
if thiago could've made weight he might be in the #1 contender's spot
instead he gets a well deserved tough test
pv3Hpv3p
7/17/08 10:37:21AM

And that's why I think he doesn't win this fight... If he tries to stand with Alves he's not gonna make it... haven't seen Alves tested on the ground in a long time though...