Diego in the Prelims? WTF??!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Diego in the Prelims? WTF??!!!
NatedawgThaM
2/8/08 8:00:59PM
Are you kidding me? The man has always gave the UFC exciting fights. He won the TUF1 in for god sake. he was SO close to getting a title shot. Just the freakin' TUF4 and Matt Serra STOLE HIS SHOT! BULL!!!

He still put up a good close effort against Kos but couldn't get the W because he lost all his strength from staph. Then he loss to Fitch in a solid pretty entertaining fight. It was just like the Nick Diaz fight, an exciting grappling fight with punches!! Then there going to send him to the Prelims?

I understand Arlovski, he's scared to get hit, possible Jake O'Brian 3 round GNP decision, plus theres a good chance he leaves. But why Diego? Then your going to put Evan Tanner vs Okami on the main card? No offense, no trying to bash, but Okami has LNP'd much better grapplers and Tanner is coming off a big layoff. It will be another LNP win for Yushin.

Anybody else upset?
BlazinSaddle
2/8/08 8:04:15PM
not upset, i want david to mess him up personally, do i think that'll happen? probably not
whardin19
2/8/08 8:05:27PM
First things first Im a really big Diego Sanchez fan. But, this guy he's fighting is a tool and hasn't won much of anything. So I can see why this fight was delegated to the un-telivised part of the card. There is so much talent on this card that it can all be on the for sure telivised part. But don't worry bro I'm sure Sanchez will take this tool out in the first round and they'll be showing it in between one of the the telivised fights.
cowcatcher
2/8/08 8:08:03PM
there are a few guys that are used to being on the main card that are getting left off, but i think tanners return is big news(at least to long time fans) plus okami is close to a title shot so that one had to be on the card. kongo is an up and comer and herring was a fairly big signing so that had to be on. fitch is maybe the next challenger for the belt at WW so they have to show him(even though hes fighting a relative unknown. and leben/sakara will probably end in a KO so theyre banking on fireworks with that one. kos, AA, and diego are probably all upset about it, but im not, im just hoping for some fights finishing quickly so we can see as many as possible.
NatedawgThaM
2/8/08 8:09:04PM
It got replace with Leban-Sakara, forgot to mention that. That will be an exciting first round KO, but I'm just stunned they'll show Okami-Tanner over this fight. It should be another exciting fight from Diego, and I am a big fan of his. I use to think he could be the person who dethrones GSP until he lost to Fitch. I like Evan Tanner but I'm not even sure the casual UFC fans remember him, if that's why they will show that fight.
tuvok500
2/8/08 8:12:17PM
If the fight is good they will probably aired it anyways so no big deal.
The UFC have now a lot of good fighters and things like that will happen more often than before for sure.

AA fans are pissed off about him being in a preliminary, you it is Sanchez, another can say that he want to see Tanner coming back more that a guy with 2 losts in a row who fight a guy that he should beat easily, so it is life now.

The UFC is full of good fighters who normally would have been a main event in a any other organization but the UFC want to give us stacked cards and it is the price to pay !!

backalley101
2/8/08 8:35:06PM
I guess is so people will go to UFC.com and pay more money to see it.Yeah' it's bullshit. Like we don't pay enough for the PPV! But bussiness is bussiness, so whatever!
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/8/08 8:59:38PM
another loss and diego will drop to LW where he belongs. I think hes a great fighter, but hes too small for the likes of a GSP etc.Koscheck and fitch both dominated him with wrestling pretty easily. GSP dominated kos with his own game plan. Just goes to show how much of a difference in size between the champ and diego.

IMO TUF1 if leben hadn't gotten a loss due to kenflos cut, he would of ran through diego in the finals easily.
kevietre
2/8/08 9:36:49PM
This is going to be the card of the year. 82 is stacked. we they will probably show the diego fight and hopefully the arlovski fight. I actually would rather see Leben and Sakara over the Diego fight. And Arlovski over the Fitch fight but thats the waty it is.
Violence108
2/8/08 10:13:11PM
he lost his last to fights
THE_DRiZzLE
2/8/08 11:18:05PM
I'm not upset, but I don't like the guy.. plus he did loose his last 2 fights and it's a rather stacked card imo.. so someone had to loose out.. and I'm glad it's him cuz I don't see him getting owned upon, so I have no interest in the fight really..
NatedawgThaM
2/8/08 11:25:36PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

another loss and diego will drop to LW where he belongs. I think hes a great fighter, but hes too small for the likes of a GSP etc.Koscheck and fitch both dominated him with wrestling pretty easily.

You obviously didn't watch that fight. He had staph and lost a ton of strength. Where did you see this domination of wrestling? All Kos did was back up and outpoint Diego like Floyd Mayweather would. From what I saw, the one time Kos took him down, Diego flipped him. And that was Diego post-staph infection when he was considering retirement.
MALICE
2/8/08 11:27:31PM
Yeah, Diego was on a fast pace to a title shot, but it came to an end with Kos and Fitch. It may upset Sanchez fans, but the truth is, he is not as big a deal as he used to be. He needs to get a few wins to regain momentum. If he does that, he will be assured his spot on the main cards once again.

Off Topic:

What is up with Fitch's matchup. Fitch and Karo are the top two ww contenders outside of the obvious trio, wouldn't it make much more sense for them to fight instead of matching them against a newcomer?
NatedawgThaM
2/8/08 11:32:13PM

Posted by xxMALICExx
Off Topic:

What is up with Fitch's matchup. Fitch and Karo are the top two ww contenders outside of the obvious trio, wouldn't it make much more sense for them to fight instead of matching them against a newcomer?

I know, they need to just match them up already. Karo is doing nothing for him by winning this fight. Most likely he'll win a decision which we'll make him look even more bad compared to Fitch who already took out Thiago and finished him. If Karo wins a close decision or has a lackluster performance and still gets a title shot quicker then Fitch, I'll be pissed...
MALICE
2/9/08 12:18:18AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by xxMALICExx
Off Topic:

I know, they need to just match them up already. Karo is doing nothing for him by winning this fight. Most likely he'll win a decision which we'll make him look even more bad compared to Fitch who already took out Thiago and finished him. If Karo wins a close decision or has a lackluster performance and still gets a title shot quicker then Fitch, I'll be pissed...

Exactly. Matt Hughes should be out of the way now. GSP and Serra will fight. After that, Fitch and Karo should face each other or one of them should get the title shot. There should be no other options.
LayinFrame
2/9/08 12:55:37AM
i would much rather watch tanner fight, then diego. Tanner is like a giant hippy on sterioids. i would like to see him upset okami, and regain a title once again. Diego is coming off multiple loss's (staph infection or not, its the name of the game) so he should not be televised over more interesting matchups.
Gipper
2/9/08 2:25:36AM

another loss and diego will drop to LW where he belongs. I think hes a great fighter, but hes too small for the likes of a GSP etc.Koscheck and fitch both dominated him with wrestling pretty easily. GSP dominated kos with his own game plan. Just goes to show how much of a difference in size between the champ and diego.

IMO TUF1 if leben hadn't gotten a loss due to kenflos cut, he would of ran through diego in the finals easily. [/QUO

kos took diego down once and almost gave up his back at the end of the first i think. thats all the wrestling he did.

saemskin
2/9/08 2:10:17PM
I wonder if the fighters look at the fight in terms of whether it's going to be televised or not?

Probably not.... since it's irrelevant to the W.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/9/08 9:53:53PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

another loss and diego will drop to LW where he belongs. I think hes a great fighter, but hes too small for the likes of a GSP etc.Koscheck and fitch both dominated him with wrestling pretty easily.

You obviously didn't watch that fight. He had staph and lost a ton of strength. Where did you see this domination of wrestling? All Kos did was back up and outpoint Diego like Floyd Mayweather would. From what I saw, the one time Kos took him down, Diego flipped him. And that was Diego post-staph infection when he was considering retirement.

ok so will give him an excuse for the koscheck fight. BUt the fitch fight he was completly dominated the whole fight. diego cant deal with wrestlers that strong and gsp has equal (probably better) then fitches wrestling with bjj brown belt (soon to be black) skills. cant forget about his strongest attribute, kyokushin . As long as gsp is champ , which is going to be for a long time. Diego will not get title shot. Like he said after the fitch fight himself, he should drop to 155.
bls1919
2/10/08 10:33:13AM
First off its a stacked card. Then Diego has lost his last 2 fights. Thirdly he is fighting an unknown in David beksomthing(jk). I dont think he deserves it right now. but this is coming from a guy who is very excited about seeing Evan Tanner back in the octagon. I want to see him GnP Okami into oblivian.
Rush
2/10/08 12:15:00PM
This doesn't bother me

1) I'm not a Diego fan

2) This card is filled with lots of popular fightes so someone has to go to the prelims

3) The UFC has been doing a good job showing most of the fights (I think 8/9 has been common in 2008) on the PPV anyway.

4) There are 10 fights scheduled for this PPV (and the one in Montreal) so there's another reason not to complain.
CornishMMA
2/12/08 6:55:49AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Are you kidding me? The man has always gave the UFC exciting fights. He won the TUF1 in for god sake. he was SO close to getting a title shot. Just the freakin' TUF4 and Matt Serra STOLE HIS SHOT! BULL!!!

He still put up a good close effort against Kos but couldn't get the W because he lost all his strength from staph. Then he loss to Fitch in a solid pretty entertaining fight. It was just like the Nick Diaz fight, an exciting grappling fight with punches!! Then there going to send him to the Prelims?

I understand Arlovski, he's scared to get hit, possible Jake O'Brian 3 round GNP decision, plus theres a good chance he leaves. But why Diego? Then your going to put Evan Tanner vs Okami on the main card? No offense, no trying to bash, but Okami has LNP'd much better grapplers and Tanner is coming off a big layoff. It will be another LNP win for Yushin.

Anybody else upset?

Whoa there, im shocked at your surprise dude

The Koscheck VS Hazelett fight is clearly a higher ranked fight and was always going to be a prelim, so the only crazy thing the UFC was doing was making Diego main card over a guy who beat him - and who is fighting a rising star rather than a UFC debutant

Diegos fight should always be a prelim in that liveup imho, behind Kos Hazelett is AA even if he is leaving!