Diego to lightweight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Diego to lightweight?
DangerousDjohn
9/23/07 7:57:58PM
http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Diego-Sanchez-Contemplating-Move-To-Lightweight-Division.html

I honestly think it would be a great move and help his career out...what do you think?
loller90278
9/23/07 7:59:10PM
i think he should move to MW to be dead honest.. LW is stacked with talent too
DJDark41
9/23/07 8:02:51PM
A move to lightweight, a few wins over top 10 LWs and he gets a title shot. Same with middleweight. If he moves up, fights a few top 10 MWs, gets a title shot. Whichever way he moves, it's just one more fighter in the title picture. But, down in lightweight if he wants to be the best, he's gotta beat BJ Penn, and at middleweight he needs to beat Anderson Silva. I don't see him beating either, but I guess the welterweight division is just too tough for Diego Sanchez.
Svartorm
9/23/07 8:04:07PM
I agree. Not only would LW be a hard cut to make, as hes already rather large, but his speed would be pretty well negated by half the roster. I'm sure he would win a few, but I don't think he'd be able to consistantly crack the top crust. MW however would allow him to pack on a bit more muscle, his speed wouldn't diminish that much and its a less stacked division. I'd actually give him a decent shot at taking out Silva or Franklin in a ground fight.
zephead
9/23/07 8:22:21PM
Sometimes you lose to a better fighter and have to go back to the drawing board. How come, whenever a fighter loses, he should drop weight? The last I looked, fighters lose at least once.
Stickan
9/23/07 8:35:33PM

Posted by zephead

Sometimes you lose to a better fighter and have to go back to the drawing board. How come, whenever a fighter loses, he should drop weight? The last I looked, fighters lose at least once.

Completely agree but in this case I think Diego should move down. Fitch dwarfed Diego and GSP, Kos, Hughes aren't smaller.

He should either stay and bulk up or move down. IMO he shouldn't even consider moving to 185. He would lose the strength advantage he holds over most 170ers.

Svartorm has some good points though. I don't know how he would fare as a LW without the big tenacity advantage. So bulk up a bit and stay at 170 might be the best option in my opinion.

nickcuc547
9/23/07 8:46:50PM
if diego moves down to lightweight he is a top lightweigth in the world, bj, sherk, diego would be my top three in the world not just ufc, he is a legit title contender and a dominant force at 155 pounds.
Twenty20Dollars
9/23/07 10:01:01PM
Hey if he can make the weight and still be good at LW then do it, but moving up to Middleweight no that would be a bad idea.
nubby
9/23/07 10:08:17PM
If Diego wants to get his skill back he either needs to head back to greg jackson's camp or head to extreme couture.
warglory
9/23/07 10:10:16PM
I think he should stay at Welterweight. He is still relatively green. He beat Karo in a hard fought match, and he pushed Fitch to his limits. Diego is fine where he is at.
Sam_Rothstein
9/24/07 2:39:00AM
middleweight might be a good move temporarily, but thats only because the division isnt nearly as stacked as the lw or ww

i think he just needs to get his focus together and get with a serious camp. i really didnt quite get the move from greg jacksons camp to city boxing (not to mention a city boxing without brandon vera)
Naturaldisaster
9/24/07 8:03:12AM
I'd love to see him move up to MW. the MW division is slacking alot and he would be a great ad to it
adamal
9/24/07 8:06:12AM
Lets not forget that he won TUF as a MW. If he feels more comfotable at 155 let him drop the weight but If he feels he can fight at 185 then that's probably a better move since the MW division is lacking and the LW division is stacked. I know he didn't face top level competition on the show but i'm just saying it's not like he can't get to 185 and maintain it.
jocka
9/24/07 10:36:12AM
If he stays at WW he will be a gate keeper hes not good enough to be Champion he lacks the skills set, if he goes down to LW i see him not being fast enough for thoses guys and if he goes to MW he wont be strong enough. HE doesnt have what it takes to be champion in any weight class but at least he can be a good Gate KEeper lol.
cowcatcher
9/24/07 10:42:50AM
he lost to a very good fighter on a big winning streak, it happens, and he was still very game in losing so im not sure he has to go anywhere else. 185 could use some more talent, and hed be a very very strong lightweight, but he just needs to get back and work hard. hes still young, talented and can hang with the best in the world, i think a move in weight only shows hes lost some confidence and that might be the kiss of death for a career in MMA.
billycarnage
9/24/07 3:07:41PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by zephead

Completely agree but in this case I think Diego should move down. Fitch dwarfed Diego and GSP, Kos, Hughes aren't smaller.

He should either stay and bulk up or move down. IMO he shouldn't even consider moving to 185. He would lose the strength advantage he holds over most 170ers.

Svartorm has some good points though. I don't know how he would fare as a LW without the big tenacity advantage. So bulk up a bit and stay at 170 might be the best option in my opinion.

I agree. He was a good sport after he lost to fitch. Fitch was bigger and stronger but I was still impressed with Diegos SUB attempts. I like where he is at. He can get stronger and bulk up. But he needs to find a camp and stay grounded. If he cuts weight he'll be a huge threat to the 155 devision. But either way he is a contender.
TNunley
9/24/07 3:12:42PM

Posted by zephead

.....The last I looked, fighters lose at least once.

What about Steven Seagal? Chuck Norris? Mike Tyson?
Lethalweapon
9/24/07 4:32:21PM
I think that Diego just made a tactical error against Fitch. His main problem was that he came out too aggressive and physical against a big strong Fighter. It is not the best way to win and that was evident in the match. If diego uses his boxing to set up those takedowns, than I think that a change in weight class is not needed.
HulkRage
9/24/07 6:05:29PM
1) I belive that Diego is a top WW fighter and if he hangs in there, he will be back at the top.
2) I think he could also be a top LW fighter if he drops.
3) I don't belive that a move to MW is a good idea for Diego at this time, bu then again he did win TUF 1 and that was for MW ( if I am not mistaken)