Diego goes night night!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Diego goes night night!
Next Page »
handstrong
8/17/08 12:52:04PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm looking forward to this one. This has potential to be as exciting as Parisyan vs Sanchez. I think it's a hard one to call, but if I had to make a pick, I'd go with Alves with his knockout power. I think Diego does best with smaller, less aggresive opponents. This Alves kid is fast, strong and throws heavy. He had some problems with Fitch because of his size, but should be able to contain Sanchez. I'm predicting a 3 round TKO for Alves. It's about time someone knocked out Diego.
jiujitsufreak74
8/17/08 1:02:28PM
well he fought Fitch 2 years ago and he is looking a lot better since then. he is not as overaggressive with his BJJ like he used to be (against Fitch he over-committed and fell into a triangle...easy mistake to make when you are to anxious to go for the finish). he has also developed a better TD defense and his MT has become very dangerous as he has KO power in all 8 points. i honestly think he will expose Diego in there fight. Diego is falling in love with his boxing and he might want to see how his striking compares to Alves'. he would soon realize that he is outmatched on the feet and when the time comes where he has to take ti to the ground or lose the fight, he will use his bull rush take down to try and get it to his world. unfortunately, Alves has faced 2 high level grapplers in a row and i guarantee you that will pay off against Diego as he has been training to defend the TD and learn how to deal with a grappler in all different types of situations. Alves should score the KO in the 2nd round with yet another knee.
nickcuc547
8/17/08 3:36:35PM
i think thiago could dominate, diego's stand up isn't in alves' league, and i think he will have a lot of trouble getting the fight to the ground. thaigo picks up a big tko.
Boo_Radley21
8/17/08 3:49:16PM
I have no idea who's going to win this fight as of right now, but I do think it has potential to be fight of the night or even fight of the year.
sparky
8/17/08 3:52:43PM
im pumped for this fight.........cuz im prolly one of the only ppl that will say diego is gunna win.......hes gunna be too hard to knockout and alves is gunna realize that during the fight................i think diego has to much heart for alves i think diego will push and push until he gets the fight to the ground.........im thinkin diego/ decision/ unanimous
Wolfenstein
8/17/08 4:21:07PM
I really like both fighters. Diego because he is so intense and explosive (especially when he sprints across the ring), and Thiago because he has some of the most exciting striking in MMA, and probably the best leg kicks in MMA.

This is a really close fight, but I think Thiago has improved his takedown defense enough to stave of Diego for the most part, and his striking will be too much.
keith-hackney1
8/17/08 6:25:10PM
I see diego taking a few shots, getting into a few dangerous situations with this fighter, but i cant see diego going to sleep via ko or submission. He was a bit reckless in his comeback fight after his loss to kos, but now feet back on the ground, diego is a very smart fighter, he has the strategy to beat alves. Diego via submission or unanimous decision !!!
balack_o-bama
8/17/08 6:29:25PM

Posted by sparky

im pumped for this fight.........cuz im prolly one of the only ppl that will say diego is gunna win.......hes gunna be too hard to knockout and alves is gunna realize that during the fight................i think diego has to much heart for alves i think diego will push and push until he gets the fight to the ground.........im thinkin diego/ decision/ unanimous

Although I do like both fighters and it could go as most are saying (Diego can't get him down and can't stand with him) I dont think Sanchez will lose.
MikeyG
8/17/08 8:05:12PM
He would not lose to Fitch again and he will KO or TKO Sanchez in dominating fashion.
Ben_Hutch
8/17/08 10:14:49PM
Lol I love the way Thiago is just such a beast. He's gona KO Diego late in 2nd or in 3rd.
jocka
8/17/08 10:49:47PM
I hope Thiago wins i can't stand diego. Diego normally winsby overpowering his opponents and Silva i way too big for him. 2nd rd TKO for Thiago
Dooletchetoreh
8/17/08 11:14:19PM
Thiago is a better striker than Diego. And this honestly is one of toughest fights I have ever had to pick. But I will take Diego cause he has more ways to win. Thiago cannot take Diego out of his element, but crafty Diego can take Thiago out of his element. If Diego comes to fight a smart fight he should win this. Das how I see it.
Dooletchetoreh
8/17/08 11:15:21PM
Yo handstrong, that is the freakiest avatar I have ever seen. Did you lose I bet, I hope so. That is disgusting.
Aether
8/17/08 11:28:42PM

Posted by jocka

I hope Thiago wins i can't stand diego. Diego normally winsby overpowering his opponents and Silva i way too big for him. 2nd rd TKO for Thiago

Alves not Silva

pretty sure most of us make that mistake on the fly once in a while heh.
handstrong
8/17/08 11:41:59PM
That's a mugshot of my grandpa after they dragged him out of walmart for... well use your imagination. Just kidding, that's my uncle.
DevonFoxy
8/18/08 12:04:57AM
I see this fight going to Sanchez. If he gets out of the first round it's his fight to loose. Alves has weight cutting problems no doubt in my mind is he going to have cardio problems in this fight. I think he'll knock down Sanchez maybe but won't be able to finish exhausting most of his load and then Sanchez will take him down and GnP him to a UD.

I could be very wrong and if Sanchez tries to get cute with his stand up he'll be down for the count in this one but I think he'll look bad in the first and look great the rest of the fight as Alves will learn that he needs to stop partying and actually replace partying with work. He is so talented and young if he does get a loss it will be the best thing that happens to him to be so close and then just let it slip out of his fingers.
Ben_Hutch
8/18/08 1:38:13AM
Thiago Alves' stand-up is to good for Sanchez

Thiago Alves' take-down defense is one of the most under-rated in MMA and is to good for Sanchez's take-downs.

Thiago Alves wins it all day.
Aaronno9
8/18/08 1:41:13AM
Hopefully alves will have no weight problems this fight. He knows hes on his last chance, and if the cut takes to much out of him, the pace diego pushes on him might be to much. Im picking him with a second round tko though.
State_Champ
8/18/08 11:09:59AM
I don't understand how so many people say they have trouble picking this fight. Alves is the next challenger for the title; the guys is awesome. He's too big and too powerful for Diego to stop.
Trapt1nw0nder
8/18/08 12:13:03PM
I'll put my money on Diego.....I think Alves is overrated by beating Hughes....Hughes is way past his prime,and poses no danger as long as you can keep him from passing your guard...

As for Karo....Karo was winning the fight till that knee,as where Diego was in there neck and neck with Karo from the start....I dont see Alves beating Karo the same way twice or even winning a round against him again....Plus Karo was out of shape compared to when he fought Burkman or Chonan....

and this wont be no 175 pound Alves...if anything he's gonna be dehydrated and not as powerful as when he fought Hughes..

I see Diego smuthering Alves the whole way and not let him catch his breath...Diego's striking has really come a long way also.

ahh..and we cant forget that "Mexican Chin"
fedorwins1
8/18/08 2:19:12PM
Wow, kind of surprised so many people are picking Alves to KO Diego. When has Diego even been rocked or stunned from a punch, kick, or even knee? Diego has a chin made of steel, I know Alves hits hard, but Diego has never even been close to getting KO'd. Alves has had major problems getting to 170 and that takes a big toll on your cardio, where Diego is never tired....ever. Diego's overall MMA skills are better than Alves' and his cardio and heart is too much for Alves to match up to IMO. Diego seems to always find a way to win a fight.

Diego UD.
GrizzlyChadams
8/18/08 2:39:43PM
This is a far easier pick then anyone is really saying. Like others have said, Alves has great takedown defence and his stand up so beyond Diego's that this is going to be quick and easy for Alves.
DevonFoxy
8/18/08 2:53:45PM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

This is a far easier pick then anyone is really saying. Like others have said, Alves has great takedown defence and his stand up so beyond Diego's that this is going to be quick and easy for Alves.

Sorry buddy but in this game it's far from being an easy pick. He doesn't have "Great" take down defense he has good take down defense. When a fighter meets a very good wrestler it doesn't matter how much you train take down defense your going to the ground. Perfect example is the Fitch/GSP fight. Fitch knew GSP was going to try and take him down and he had the man with the best double leg take downs in the division in Koscheck and still was unable to defend the take down when GSP wanted it.

Now I'm not saying by any means Sanchez's wrestling is on the same level as GSP's because it isn't but still he has above average take downs and Deigo has stand up that will at least hang with Thiago's to get him to think Sanchez is going to stand with him and then bam it will go to the ground. Sounds to me you are vastly underestimating Sanchez.
bls1919
8/18/08 5:48:24PM
This will be FOTN and i think will end with Alves hand raised.
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 6:06:21PM
By the way last time I checked Jon Fitch clearly beat Thiago Alves. And Karo fight was a horrible stoppage and Karo dominated, I mean dominated Alves in that first round. Tough fight to call, but I think Diego takes this.
jiujitsufreak74
8/18/08 6:34:17PM

Posted by Dooletchetoreh

By the way last time I checked Jon Fitch clearly beat Thiago Alves. And Karo fight was a horrible stoppage and Karo dominated, I mean dominated Alves in that first round. Tough fight to call, but I think Diego takes this.

it was not a bad stoppage. maybe a little early, but had it continued Alves would have finished him anyway. it wasn't like Alves would have lost if it wasn't stopped then. Diego will be exploited in this fight and will finally be finished mark my words.
ziegler3334
8/18/08 7:48:46PM
I'm going to have to go with Alves here. Diego's cardio and wrestling are better, and he has a good chin. But, Alves is a really good striker. And he is pretty big, so he won't be easy to push around and wrestle. Thiago will eventually land a good one, and finish him for the tko. That being said, the longer it takes for this to happen the less likely it will be, and diego would have a better chance to pull out a decision. But I don't see that happening. Alves; TKO; 2nd
MikeyG
8/18/08 9:57:37PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

Sorry buddy but in this game it's far from being an easy pick. He doesn't have "Great" take down defense he has good take down defense. When a fighter meets a very good wrestler it doesn't matter how much you train take down defense your going to the ground. Perfect example is the Fitch/GSP fight. Fitch knew GSP was going to try and take him down and he had the man with the best double leg take downs in the division in Koscheck and still was unable to defend the take down when GSP wanted it.

Now I'm not saying by any means Sanchez's wrestling is on the same level as GSP's because it isn't but still he has above average take downs and Deigo has stand up that will at least hang with Thiago's to get him to think Sanchez is going to stand with him and then bam it will go to the ground. Sounds to me you are vastly underestimating Sanchez.

Easiest pick on the card for me, Alves by KO
jawbreaker517
8/18/08 10:17:11PM
I am going to have to go with Diego on this one. His hands looked better in his last fight, but I think he should ultimately be trying to get the fight to the ground and get a stoppage.
DevonFoxy
8/19/08 10:07:39AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

Easiest pick on the card for me, Alves by KO

Yea much easier then Werdum's fight and Silva vs Cote I guess we'll just wait and see but to this fight is a simple one couldn't be more wrong imo.
Pages: [1] 2