Can you die from being hit in the liver?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Can you die from being hit in the liver?
haggiswashere
9/7/08 5:45:22PM
Hey i love bas rutten and i love his liver punches and stuff and when i was watching rich franklin last night i wondered if you could die from that.
dannyfrank
9/7/08 5:49:33PM
good question. i would think yes if you got hit REALLY REALLY hard
MALICE
9/7/08 5:57:09PM
Of course. If you are hit hard enough, or just right, your liver could be tore. This would cause internal bleeding. And if not treated right could result in death.

But the liver is by far the toughest organ. It is the only organ that if you remove part of it, it will grow back.

So the answer is yes, but it is highly unlikely.
jomatty
9/7/08 9:20:16PM
dont know if you can die but i do know that it can make you wish you were dead...
Rush
9/7/08 10:47:55PM
I've never heard of it happening.
backalley101
9/7/08 11:35:59PM

Posted by jomatty

dont know if you can die but i do know that it can make you wish you were dead...

Jackelope
9/8/08 1:17:50AM
I've never heard of it happening, but theoretically it's possible. All you've got to do is break a floating rib and have it puncture the liver to cause massive internal bleeding.

I'll say this much, though- when you get hit in the liver like Hamill did last night you certainly feel like you're dying.
Jimbo
9/8/08 8:00:24AM
my brothers friend was playing AFL and he got a massive hit the to side and his kidney got totaly f'ed, i think he was kinda close to dying. now hes missing like half of one his kidneys and i dont think he can play sport again which would be totally brutal.
2person_bar_room_block
9/8/08 7:53:54PM
You're right. Yes you can die from a liver shot. The liver is very vascular (meaning it contains a lot of blood), and can rupture or "lacerate" with blunt force trauma. Massive internal bleeding ensues = go to the ER or die.
Svartorm
9/8/08 8:25:11PM
Possible, but very unlikely in an MMA setting. Getting his with an object would generate enough force to rupture or tear it, or the kind of impacts suffered in football can do it, but those are situations that aren't generated in a cage or ring.
The-Don
9/8/08 10:17:28PM

Posted by Svartorm

Possible, but very unlikely in an MMA setting. Getting his with an object would generate enough force to rupture or tear it, or the kind of impacts suffered in football can do it, but those are situations that aren't generated in a cage or ring.

I agree... in a cage or ring it would have to be a breaking of one of the floating ribs that then puncture the liver... with medical technology today even if this were to happen... a fighter has more then enough time if they leave and go to the hospital and get treated and I would say 99.9% of the time would make a `100% recovery..
haggiswashere
9/10/08 4:40:22AM
awesome thanks guys!!!
Mastodon2
9/11/08 9:35:29AM

Posted by Svartorm

Unless you get punched by Jerome Le Banner