Why didn't Dana buy proelite?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why didn't Dana buy proelite?
Biggz
2/14/09 4:54:03PM
we all know dana likes to try to keep the ufc the monopoly of mma, he loves to tell a fighter, "ok go fight some where else" and he and the other fighter knows that there is not anywhere else.(i know dream affliction ect but you know what i mean.) and i read that strikeforce bought proelite for only 3 million. seems very cheap. so why wouldn't dana buy it?
1. would he then aqcuire all the contracts? - if so could he not release them all
just thought if he bought it he could get a handful of fighters that he wanted and dump the rest?
any thoughts or answers?
Wolfenstein
2/14/09 5:02:56PM
I think he wanted to avoid the contract with CBS and Showtime. I'm not sure if the contract with those two were tied into the purchase or if Dana could have just blown them off and taken the fighters--but that would be my assumption.
JimiMak
2/14/09 5:22:32PM

Posted by Biggz

we all know dana likes to try to keep the ufc the monopoly of mma, he loves to tell a fighter, "ok go fight some where else" and he and the other fighter knows that there is not anywhere else.(i know dream affliction ect but you know what i mean.) and i read that strikeforce bought proelite for only 3 million. seems very cheap. so why wouldn't dana buy it?
1. would he then aqcuire all the contracts? - if so could he not release them all
just thought if he bought it he could get a handful of fighters that he wanted and dump the rest?
any thoughts or answers?

There's just no reason to buy them. The library is usually the biggest reason to buy the other orgs. ProElite didn't have a library worth what it would've cost in court to buy it. They only had a handful of fighters. UFC would still have a good shot at most even if they have to wait on the one's who's contracts are picked up by the other buyer.
bls1919
2/14/09 6:51:38PM
prozacnation1978
2/14/09 7:10:50PM
for 3 million the ufc could have gotten alot of fighters to choose from i am curuious to see why too they didn't buy them unless showtime name was with it or something
decken
2/14/09 7:44:02PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

for 3 million the ufc could have gotten alot of fighters to choose from i am curuious to see why too they didn't buy them unless showtime name was with it or something

It might have only cost 3 million but I am sure that whom ever bought the company inherited a ton of debt.
fizzle
2/14/09 8:36:51PM
It wasn't fiscally sound
fonduktoe
2/15/09 3:18:09AM
after how the pride buyout went down (lottsa bs not to mention the majority of the contracts they could maintain ended up tanking in the octagon) i think the ufc will be more strategic with how they monopolize.
Shawn91111
2/15/09 3:34:19AM
ProElite's library didnt contain Dana's favorite book

hippysmacker
2/15/09 10:53:55PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think he wanted to avoid the contract with CBS and Showtime. I'm not sure if the contract with those two were tied into the purchase or if Dana could have just blown them off and taken the fighters--but that would be my assumption.

IMO I don't think Zuffa is going to make any deal with someone that relinquishes control.; Also, the price CBS/showtime paid to EliteXC is probably a lot less than the UFC would charge to have their fights shown there.
breakdown5
2/16/09 12:17:57AM
The UFC is in the middle of roster cuts anyway. It wouldn't make much sense to buy up proelite to get their hands on a few notable fighters when they are chopping down their lineup.
fullerene
2/16/09 9:55:05AM
I think the basic analysis was:

Price of blundled assets as sold today by ProElite > price of individual assets purchased after the expiration of ProElite contracts

Remember that Strikeforce isn't picking up the rights to use fighters forever or to be broadcast forever on CBS and Showtime. They are picking up a certain number of shows for a certain price. The UFC will likely go after individual fighters when they're contracts expire and I'm sure they are negotiating with television networks all of the time.
CwB
2/16/09 5:40:27PM

Posted by Shawn91111

ProElite's library didnt contain Dana's favorite book

It all makes sense now...
butt_whole
2/18/09 8:20:36PM
he all ready over paid for Pride, whats another 3 million?
slapshot
2/21/09 2:25:18PM
Think about it, they already have the wec and 90% of pro cant even compete on that level. So you're going to buy a org full of dead weight for what 3 maybe four fighters that you can eventually move to the UFC?

Dana has said the big reason he acquired Pride was not the fighters but the rights to the film although you know he wanted fador. Pro just doesn't have any assets worth the cost be it fighters or media.

deezyo
2/22/09 2:07:22AM
i was wondering the same thing myself