Who else didn't like Affliction last night?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who else didn't like Affliction last night?
chrismithers
7/20/08 1:41:32PM
I thought the fights were good and stuff. but the music in between everything and it took forever for them to fight. Im glad i didnt order it and got it for free cause when im watching mma i want to see fights not motorhead or whoever they had there.
nickcuc547
7/20/08 1:48:18PM
the fights were pretty good, especially fedor and aa, but overall i thought it was a pretty good event. as far as production value the ufc is the best by far, but affliction did a pretty good job last night.
IriShame
7/20/08 1:57:18PM
I've got no real complaints. Megadeath sucks and I didn't like being forced to listen to them but it's still better than EliteXC. It kind of reminded me of an American version of Prides old broadcasts. All about bravado and showmanship. That's cool and all and I'm sure some people enjoy it so I don't mind putting up with it if it's going to bring in new fans. Personally though, just show me fights.
gartface
7/20/08 2:17:19PM
I'm glad they didn't waste our time with stupid promos for UFC 87 every 5 minutes....I thought they did a great job. Short ring entrances, little time between most of the fights. My only real complaint is Megadeath, but that's just personal preference.
A- for Affliction: Banned.
Khaos
7/20/08 2:27:23PM
I thought all the fights were good, The timing was good, I was able to watch every fight , or at least part of every fight for both shows.

I couldn't stand Jay Glazer's commentating and constant nuthugging of Fedor.

For the fights I give the show an "A"

For everything else a "B"
disorderlyvision
7/20/08 2:32:23PM

Posted by chrismithers

I thought the fights were good and stuff. but the music in between everything and it took forever for them to fight. Im glad i didnt order it and got it for free cause when im watching mma i want to see fights not motorhead or whoever they had there.

thats a pretty minor thing to make a big deal about, most of the fight were exciting. it was a far better card than anything the ufc has put together recently from top to bottom. i though it was great, i hope affliction sticks around.
hippysmacker
7/20/08 2:49:15PM

Posted by chrismithers

I agree. the fights were good, but I didn't like most of the filler, and production. However, I still say Megadeth rules! I wouldn't have made the title of this thread about not liking affliction though.Maybe It should say" Who liked Afflctions fights, but not the way they ran the show? " More than anything, and this is for anyplace that has the ring, the constant interruptions due to the ropes made me unhappy.
Gipper
7/20/08 2:59:46PM
your crazy if you didn't like the affliction show. that was one of the best mma events i've ever seen and i've been able to watch most of the ufc and pride events live since 2001. war megadeath.
aceprone
7/20/08 4:03:22PM
I actually had the opprunitunity to be at the Affliction show live.

The only thing that sucked was the first 30 minutes or so. They prefilmed the Paul Beuntello fight. But once the Vitor Belfort fight started, everything seemed to run smoothly. Time didn't seem to last long between fights. I'm not a Megadeth fan, but it didn't seem to change the flow of the production, at least live.

This was my first fight event to ever go too, but I can tell you it seemed better then any Eliteexc card. I would got back to an Affliction event any day. It felt extremely professional live.
Ordep
7/20/08 5:25:36PM
I didn't like the fillings neither.... but your point about paying vs. free is nonsense because you still got all the fights. BAD would have been if the Megadeth show would put some fights out of the broadcast time.
wolfman
7/20/08 5:56:58PM
Affliction's production was not the best, but it was their first show. There were a lot of great fights! Overall, I thought the show was great! Awesome KO's to boot and Fedor's dismantling of Tim...8.5/10 IMO.
MaxOne
7/20/08 6:06:57PM
great event...i hope they can get through the first few events on get in the black.
It'd be great to have another org putting on high caliber and well produced events.

anybody know if there is a way to find dream 5 on the net. I don't have hdnet and dream isn't on pay per view, right?

I got the last one on the net...it was good.
BionicIng
7/20/08 6:28:24PM
the fights were top notch, props to whoever was booking.
the production was a total fail, audio was terrible, organization wasa a disaster.
my only question booking wise is where do they go from here, i hope they didnt blow their load on one card
FrankTheTank1181
7/20/08 7:08:06PM
My only complaints were the ring was friggin' huge and the camera seemed a bit far away. 8/10 overall imo.
Cladrix
7/21/08 12:33:49AM
Afflictions show was an awesome show. Every fight was good. Although the Linland/Nagao fight was a little lackluster but Linland was away from the ring for more than a year so that could be why.

Megadeth was awesome!!!

The production Quality was alright but it is there first show.

The commentating was kind of boring. Jay Glazer kind of blows as a commentator.

All in all...... I give the Affliction show a 8.5/10
Trapt1nw0nder
7/21/08 3:50:51AM
Solid 9

I told my friends that the ring was gonna bring out the best in Arlovski,because he was gonna be able to trap his opponents in the corners,and it was true....

Affliction for sure have the best Heavyweights in the world now,but they will need LW's WW's and more MW's and LHW's....

If Affliction have Tito,Couture,Fedor,Arlovski,they will give the UFC a run for its money...........Imagine if Affliction and EliteXC merge as 1..

I hope Korn plays in the next event...they kinda hinted it during the announcment of celebrities,plus Korn has their own Affliction T-shirts..just hope they play some older songs......playing music was no problem for me since the fights went by so fast just like in Pride

I love the UFC,but the first thing that pops into my mind when i think UFC is "DANA WHITE"...and i hate that f*ck, and want him to fail...I wouldnt mind 1 bit seeing all the UFC greats jump ship to Affliction or EliteXC.....or Dana,Fired.either is good :)

If people like Couture,Fedor,and Tito say they wouldnt work for him,then i believe he really is a dickhead who happened to have 2 rich friends.
mrsmiley
7/21/08 5:43:46AM
I thought it was a very good show.I got a kick out of seeing Big Nog their with an Affliction T-shirt.
emfleek
7/21/08 9:14:24AM
1.) I didn't watch it live.

2.) I'm not a fan of the ring but I can tolerate it. I've always preferred the cage, though.

3.) Thanks to MMAPlayground, I did get to see the fights.

4.) I hate the "above-ring" camera angle. It makes it seem as though I'm watching the fight from the nosebleed sections. Give me some action from the apron...it's much more personal that way.

5.) Other than #4...I have no complaints. I just hope they can muster up a decent follow-up card.
pv3Hpv3p
7/21/08 9:58:25AM
I don't get how someone can complain about them having Megadeath play when they showed the entire card... All the fights...

At least they gave Megadeath a time slot as appose to having us miss fights because of it... I'd rather hear them in the background while I'm making a sandwich then Goldi and Rogan blathering about something... or the same movie trailor over and over again

Awesome show...

Can't believe how much punishment Rothwell took that dude's tough...

Nice to see an aggressive Andre and heavy0handed Vitor relive some old glory...

Nagao's got a chin on him, and Lindland looked sloppy...

Lil Nog looked good and Babalu looked like a more mature fighter (just like they said, I guess)... I think this is the only logical LHW matchup they have really... maybe with the winner fighting Tito...

36 f'n seconds... are you serious? Iv'e never seen Big Tim handled like that... wow
kingkicker
7/21/08 10:25:19AM
i thought all the fights were good but i didn't like the ropes it interfears with the flow of the fight
jocksmall
7/23/08 9:37:17PM

Posted by chrismithers

thats ironic because you watched way more than the 5 fights the ufc gives you. i agree the music was bad but the talking i thought was less than the ufc. plus we didnt get the 50 - 30 second adds the ufc shows you for the next ppv. i enjoyed it overall and it was the best first show for an org that i have ever seen. well ufc 1 was great but it was a shocker to me as well so that was a big part of it.
cmill21
7/23/08 10:18:27PM
I absoutly loved it. The only thing I didn't like was the ropes, the Japanese ropes are much tighter and give much more support.