Diaz vs. Neer

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Diaz vs. Neer
POLL: Who will win?
Nick Diaz 54% (28)
Josh Neer 46% (24)
chickmagnet
9/15/08 7:47:24PM
This iss a tough fight for me to call. Diaz is very crafty, but Neer is a savage and i dont know if Diaz can pull something off against him, this fight might be a standup war if its not a grappling clinic. Who do you think takes it?? Oh and sorry about the poll, i accidently put Nick instead of Nate, I meant Nate Diaz sorry,
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/15/08 8:36:04PM
neer by pickage appart
Khaos
9/15/08 9:14:12PM
I think Neer take this fight, he's beaten better competion(in Guillard, Stevenson, and Thomas).I think he'll be a monster at 155lbs. My prediction Josh Neer by UD.
jiujitsufreak74
9/15/08 9:26:26PM
Neer is going to shock some people and get the TKO
theguido
9/15/08 9:36:29PM
Neer will over work Diaz last few times he's fought he's won by grinding out tough opponents
copcopps
9/15/08 9:41:04PM
Diaz by sub like his bro, but I'm pulling for Neer because he's not a mouthy little prick
Mchubb316
9/15/08 11:51:35PM
I like Neer in this fight as well. Iam not impressed with Diaz's striking, and I think Neer keeps this on the feet, and gets the tko. I think a lot of people compare Nate to Nick, but Nick is much more advanced as far as MMA is concerned than Nate.
MFOTHER
9/16/08 12:34:26AM
wow...alot of love for neer. ive got NATE (not nick like the poll says) by sub
gartface
9/16/08 12:49:39AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Neer is going to shock some people and get the TKO

Hopefully he doesn't have Nate in a crucifix where the ref can't see that he's ktfo...
Neer by UD I think.
Chuteboxer
9/16/08 7:58:21AM
Like everyone else, I think Neer will win. I just don't know how.
Rush
9/16/08 8:00:15AM
Well, every fight I have picked against Nate and every time I lose. Something tells me I will get this one wrong no matter whom I pick.
breakdown5
9/16/08 9:01:49AM
I think Neer will take this one as long as he stays out of Diaz's guard. Nate throws up triangles all over the place, so if Neer can keep it standing he will punish Diaz throughout the fight.
ToeZup
9/16/08 9:05:56AM
I'm taking Neer in this fight. He just needs to keep it standing.
gartface
9/16/08 10:16:22AM
I don't understand how Neer still has an underdog bonus, but everyone in this thread seems to be picking him.
And I completely agree with you Rush...I've been waiting for this guy to lose (which he should have against Pellegrino), since he fought Manny. But every time I pick him he always ends up getting the crap beat out of him and working a submission.
Hopefully Neer will keep it on the feet, and if he rocks Nate, try to move to side control as soon as possible.
Pookie
9/16/08 10:19:43AM

Posted by gartface

I don't understand how Neer still has an underdog bonus, but everyone in this thread seems to be picking him.
And I completely agree with you Rush...I've been waiting for this guy to lose (which he should have against Pellegrino), since he fought Manny. But every time I pick him he always ends up getting the crap beat out of him and working a submission.
Hopefully Neer will keep it on the feet, and if he rocks Nate, try to move to side control as soon as possible.

why should he have lost against pellegrino?
DangerousDjohn
9/16/08 10:29:47AM
I see Neer coming out and hurting Diaz badly only to see Diaz do what he is great at and pull a submission out of his ass.
gartface
9/16/08 10:32:31AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by gartface

I don't know if it's just me, but it sure as hell looked like Diaz went limp when Pellegrino had him in the crucifix, pounding him out. It was a terrible angle for the ref to see anything, and I think that Pellegrino woke him up with more punches. Might just be me though.
jomatty
9/16/08 11:21:30AM
this is a tough fight to call. all i know is that ive picked nate to lose the last 3 times and he has surprised me each time. if he does it again then he will have made a believer out of me.
americanbulldog
9/16/08 1:29:44PM
I thought i was being crafty and picking Neer. It seems like everyone is picking neer also.
jiujitsufreak74
9/16/08 1:46:41PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by gartface

well gartface has a valid point but for me he shouldn't have won because if Kurt didn't randomly throw himself into Nate's guard he wouldn't have gotten the triangle. Kurt also did this against Tavarez only he was able to avoid the submission.
Aether
9/16/08 4:32:31PM
I changed my pick to Neer after a lot of debating with myself and considering some of the points that people have been bringing up. The main thing that changed my mind was going back and re-watching Neer vs Stevenson. This was at 170 and Joe still had quite a bit of trouble controlling/taking down Neer. Other than the start of the first round, where Joe had a couple of successful shots and strong submission attempts, Josh basically decided where the fight would take place at any given time and did an amazing job of escaping subs.

I think Nate's standup is pretty lackluster and Neer is going to be really careful not to go to the ground. I don't think Nate has any way to take this fight to the ground other than possibly jumping guard, but if it does go to the ground I can see him slapping a triangle on really quickly.

I guess it's basically going to hinge on whether Neer plays it smart and safe by grinding out a decision on the feet. I'm afraid that he may rock him, then move in to finish with GnP and get triangled or arm barred. Don't make me regret changing my pick Josh!!
jocka
9/16/08 5:37:30PM
I don t remember a time that I picked Nate to win and he screwed me over each time so am picking Nate on this by triangle
Rush
9/16/08 5:46:49PM

Posted by gartface

Yup, same thing happened to me with Terry Martin. I picked against him 2 or 3 times and he won all those fights, the next time I picked hi he lost.

Nate has given me problems because in theory, he should have lost 2 of his last 3 fights (I think), however to his credit he is improving. the other thing is that I don't like the guy, so when it comes down to it, that tends to sway my pick a little.

Maybe I should go with Neer to gamble for the extra points. lol
GrizzlyChadams
9/16/08 5:51:08PM
I think this fight will eventually get the ground and then we'll see Diaz get the submission.
Diamondback2
9/16/08 6:58:24PM
I think Nate is alot more like his brother than most people give him credit for.

I will agree that his standup is no where near Nick's but it's a similar to Nick's, he just dosen't have as much power. Nick is pretty big for 160-170 and Nate is small (lanky however) for 155.

His ground game seems to me to be more advanced than Nick's in MMA. As a JJ player, that Triangle he put on Pellegrino was just gross. he set it up like 6 seconds out, he was able to destroy all out's by putting his one leg over the shoulders and one holding the other side of Kurt's body in. And then locked it in so deep he didn't even need his arms. i think Nate's legs are stronger than people realise, i always see him able to control people with them.

I'm picking Nate by sub in the 2nd.
jiujitsufreak74
9/16/08 7:00:11PM

Posted by Diamondback2

I think Nate is alot more like his brother than most people give him credit for.

I will agree that his standup is no where near Nick's but it's a similar to Nick's, he just dosen't have as much power. Nick is pretty big for 160-170 and Nate is small (lanky however) for 155.

His ground game seems to me to be more advanced than Nick's in MMA. As a JJ player, that Triangle he put on Pellegrino was just gross. he set it up like 6 seconds out, he was able to destroy all out's by putting his one leg over the shoulders and one holding the other side of Kurt's body in. And then locked it in so deep he didn't even need his arms. i think Nate's legs are stronger than people realise, i always see him able to control people with them.

yeah, but he was able to get into that position when Kurt voluntarily hopped into his guard. Neer won't make the same mistake as Kurt and he will put Diaz away in the 2nd imo.
Pookie
9/16/08 7:21:57PM

Posted by Diamondback2

yeah, but he was able to get into that position when Kurt voluntarily hopped into his guard. Neer won't make the same mistake as Kurt and he will put Diaz away in the 2nd imo.

Kurt ALWAYS does that though, give diaz some credit for taking notice of that in his training camp.
Cesar Graciestudents usually come out with good game plans, for how limited the variety of their fighters skill sets tend to be.
jiujitsufreak74
9/16/08 7:27:16PM

Posted by Pookie

Kurt ALWAYS does that though, give diaz some credit for taking notice of that in his training camp.
Cesar Graciestudents usually come out with good game plans, for how limited the variety of their fighters skill sets tend to be.

i wouldn't say Diaz knew Kurt was going to hop into his guard. i think that he was able to take advantage of the cards he was dealt and capitalized on Kurt's weird habit. i give full credit to Nate for securing that triangle and making it so slick, but i just don't see Neer falling into his guard like Kurt did.
Pookie
9/16/08 7:33:08PM

Posted by Pookie

i wouldn't say Diaz knew Kurt was going to hop into his guard. i think that he was able to take advantage of the cards he was dealt and capitalized on Kurt's weird habit. i give full credit to Nate for securing that triangle and making it so slick, but i just don't see Neer falling into his guard like Kurt did.

i may be wrong but doesnt Pellegrino prefer to gnp from the guard?

jiujitsufreak74
9/16/08 7:35:49PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Pookie

i may be wrong but doesnt Pellegrino prefer to gnp from the guard?

well that's what Joe Rogan said after he noticed the same pattern two fights in a row. he said, "well i guess Kurt likes to GnP from guard because this isn't the first time we have seen him do [jump into guard]." or something along those lines.