Diaz vs gomi ruling !!!????

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Diaz vs gomi ruling !!!????
Next Page »
keith-hackney1
6/30/07 5:36:04PM
Sorry if im abit behind with the times guys, but i have just noticed that nsac ruled diaz's victory over gomi as a no contest due to pot being found in blood. Correct me if im wrong but, marajuana is not a performance inhancing drug, they are wrong to strip him of that win. Diaz could of walked into a bar where pot had been smoked. breathed it in then fought gomi soon after, that doesnt mean he actually smoked it himself !!??
Fair enough if it was a form of steriods found like gracie, but come on, weed ??
Weed is everywhere, people smoke it all over the place, it would be very hard for a fighter at some point in his career, not to accidently breath it in by chance !!
ButterBalls
6/30/07 5:43:55PM
Keith, you are way, way behind the times on this....there are about 10 other threads out there with everyone's opinions in them. Not trying to be a dick, just giving you a heads up.
fedorwins1
6/30/07 5:50:34PM
Dude, where have you been?
ProfessorChaos
6/30/07 6:13:05PM
Weed is illegal

END THREAD
johny_rotten
6/30/07 6:31:50PM

Posted by ProfessorChaos

Weed is illegal

END THREAD

So are steroids, and they actually enhance performance, but descions for fighters with those in their system weren't overruled. See Tim vs McGee, Randy vs Barnett, Rocye vs Sak and so on.
Collinreuter
6/30/07 6:34:41PM
I think depending on the person, weed can be performance enhancing... but so can vitamins and other legal supplements
fedorwins1
6/30/07 6:39:17PM

Posted by Collinreuter

I think depending on the person, weed can be performance enhancing... but so can vitamins and other legal supplements

What? The only thing it can do is lessen the pain and Diaz wasn't high during the fight.
rcg916
6/30/07 6:40:14PM
Man, have you been away?

Have you heard? Keith Hackney isnt fighting any more! Just in case that one got by you!
rcg916
6/30/07 6:43:49PM
Marijuana is not performance enhancing, if anything it would make you drag ass. Also, despite what people keep saying, marijuana also HEIGHTENS SENSITIVITY to touch... That makes it pretty tough to claim that it also numbs you. I dont even smoke, so theres no bias. Bottom line, its illegal, and thats something the fighters need to take into consideration... Repremanded, fined? Sure. No contest? Not unless you reverse the above mentioned cases and then some... BS ruling, but old news, regardless.

Mastodon2
6/30/07 6:52:50PM

Posted by rcg916

Marijuana is not performance enhancing, if anything it would make you drag ass. Also, despite what people keep saying, marijuana also HEIGHTENS SENSITIVITY to touch... That makes it pretty tough to claim that it also numbs you.

Im sorry but that is not the case; THC is a depressant, it gets into the Synapases around your body and in your brain, and blocks neurotransmitters, deadening the senses of touch and pain etc. In this aspect, it works just like Acohol. You may not smoke, but I'm sure you've been drunk - you get that rubber fingered, numb feeling because of the synapses allover your body being blocked. If you've ever seen drunk people fight, you will know that the lack of pain they experience allows them to absorb all kinds of punishment, drunk people fight on because they dont realise how much damage they are taking. THC works in just the same way.

So to summarise, THC (from Marijuana, or whatever source) does not "heighten sensitivity", it kills it, and it can be used as a performance enhancer.
rcg916
6/30/07 7:17:21PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by rcg916

Marijuana is not performance enhancing, if anything it would make you drag ass. Also, despite what people keep saying, marijuana also HEIGHTENS SENSITIVITY to touch... That makes it pretty tough to claim that it also numbs you.

Im sorry but that is not the case; THC is a depressant, it gets into the Synapases around your body and in your brain, and blocks neurotransmitters, deadening the senses of touch and pain etc. In this aspect, it works just like Acohol. You may not smoke, but I'm sure you've been drunk - you get that rubber fingered, numb feeling because of the synapses allover your body being blocked. If you've ever seen drunk people fight, you will know that the lack of pain they experience allows them to absorb all kinds of punishment, drunk people fight on because they dont realise how much damage they are taking. THC works in just the same way.

So to summarise, THC (from Marijuana, or whatever source) does not "heighten sensitivity", it kills it, and it can be used as a performance enhancer.

I didnt just make it up, obviously I read mine somewhere too. Looks like we got conflicting info...
kevietre
6/30/07 7:27:03PM
Nate Diaz said in the post fight interview at the TUF 5 Finale he wished they would show Nick more respect since he wasn't able to corner his brother Nate. Matt Serra was asked about it on t.v. and I agree when he said he would rather have his opponent tokin up. Nick made a mistake by blazing but the win shouldn't have been taking away since weed will not enhance your mma ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7n9dHEA6n8
shackle
6/30/07 7:29:26PM
Can you get a job on drugs? or even smoke it anywhere in public?

no!....

I know it didn't affect the outcome of the fight thats not the point. It's illegal, and we normal folks have to pass drug test why should fighters get to work without drug test? If fighters didn't then we shouldn't get tested when signing up for a new job right?

I don't agree with weed being illegal, but if we can't get away with it nick shouldn't either. It's just plain stupid to say it's not fair. Cause lots of people lose there jobs to drugs. At least he still can come back to work after the suspension.
rcg916
6/30/07 7:30:56PM

Posted by shackle

no!....

I know it didn't affect the outcome of the fight thats not the point. It's illegal, and we normal folks have to pass drug test why should fighters get to work without drug test? If fighters didn't then we shouldn't get tested when signing up for a new job right?

I don't agree with weed being illegal, but if we can't get away with it nick shouldn't either. It's just plain stupid to say it's not fair. Cause lots of people lose there jobs to drugs. At least he still can come back to work after the suspension.

Uh, I already said that its illegal, and fighters should respect that. So, perhaps you werent talking to me?
shackle
6/30/07 7:32:58PM
Nope just saying in general not targeting anyone.

Posted by rcg916

Posted by shackle

no!....

Uh, I already said that its illegal, and fighters should respect that. So, perhaps you werent talking to me?

rcg916
6/30/07 7:36:56PM
I just think that this "commission" is a great thing, and necessary for the sport, but there also has to be some consistency to it as well. Cant have someone getting a fight overturned, and Royce still has his win, solely because of his last name. Definitely not defending fighters who test positive for ANYTHING, thats for sure...
zephead
6/30/07 8:10:07PM
Dude, have you been smokin the ganja??
johny_rotten
6/30/07 8:55:16PM

Posted by rcg916

I just think that this "commission" is a great thing, and necessary for the sport, but there also has to be some consistency to it as well. Cant have someone getting a fight overturned, and Royce still has his win, solely because of his last name. Definitely not defending fighters who test positive for ANYTHING, thats for sure...

apparently in California it isn't in the MMA bi-laws to be able to over turn the result of a fight due to steroids. I am unsure if it was legal for Pride to due that since the NSAC hasn't done that in the past. Does any have a link to a story of this when it took place 8 YEARS AGO to see if Pride changed the status or did Nevada?
Collinreuter
7/1/07 1:10:42AM
why should we respect laws that are ******* bullshit
xkillerbx
7/1/07 1:29:31AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by ProfessorChaos

Weed is illegal

END THREAD

So are steroids, and they actually enhance performance, but descions for fighters with those in their system weren't overruled. See Tim vs McGee, Randy vs Barnett, Rocye vs Sak and so on.

Sylvia/McGee and Couture/Barnett were both before the rule was in place to overturn the decision based on illegal substances. Gracie/Sakuraba was fought in California where there also is no rule in place to overturn a decision.
xkillerbx
7/1/07 1:32:06AM

Posted by Collinreuter

why should we respect laws that are ******* bullshit

Because if you want to get a license to fight in Nevada, you have to follow their rules. It's no secret, weed is illegal, the fact that the law is bullshit is irrelevant. Nick Diaz knew the rules and decided to break them anyway. It's nobody's fault but his own.
hippysmacker
7/1/07 4:16:05AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by rcg916

I agree, Diaz gave a radio interview after the commision hearing, and said he didn't smoke it. He took a straight THC paste on his food. he didn't explain why though, but it does numb pain. I want a rematch, but Diaz had his orbiatal eye socket bone broken in the fight, and just kept coming. Is he a tough guy, absolutely, but it does cast some doubt on why his pain threshold was so high. It also explains why his THC count( 175) was so ridiculously high.Here is a a quick article from Ufc junkie after the hearing that explains more about why the commision overturned the decision.

Nick Diaz’s Win Over Takanori Gomi Ruled a No-Contest
Posted by UFC Junkie on April 10, 2007 at 5:32 pm ET

Nick Diaz Former UFC fighter Nick Diaz’s upset victory over PRIDE Fighting Championships’ lightweight champion Takanori Gomi in a recent non-title fight has been ruled a no-contest because of his failed drug test, according to MMAWeekly.com.

Diaz, who scored a submission victory via gogoplata over Gomi at PRIDE 33, tested positive for marijuana in his post-fight drug test at the February event. Today, the Nevada State Athletic Commission erased the win from his record and also suspended Diaz for six months from the date of his fight and fined him $3,000.

Diaz had earned $15,000 for the fight.

The severity of the punishment resulted largely from the NSAC’s belief that Diaz was under the influence of the drug the night of the fight, which according to the NSAC’s chair commissioner (in a awkward-sounding statement), helped him dull pain and assisted in the win.

According to MMAWeekly.com:

Apparently, the commission felt that the level for which Diaz tested at, 175, was a considering factor in his performance during the fight. Dr. Tony Alamo, the Commission’s Chair, said that a result of 15 is considered positive, but that the NSAC has a threshold of 50 to test positive for THC and that they “feel very comfortable that everyone that tests positive [in Nevada] is truly positive.“

Alamo went on to say, “Mr. Diaz was 175. This creates a unique situation. I was there at this fight and believe that you were intoxicated and… that it made you numb to the pain. Did it help you win? I think it did.“

The failed test marred what had been Diaz’s biggest win to date.

Now, given today’s ruling, the victory will be wiped from his record completely and changed to a no-contest. The 23-year-old Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu student now owns a 14-6 record, including a 6-4 mark in the UFC.

For more information about today’s hearing, including Joe Pearson’s (marijuana) and Kit Cope’s (performance-enhancing agent) suspensions from failed tests at a Jan. 20 World Extreme Cagefighting event, head over to MMAWeekly.com.
This entry is filed under PRIDE, Nick Diaz, Kit Cope, World Extreme Cagefighting, Takanori Gomi, Joe Pearson
keith-hackney1
7/1/07 11:26:40AM
Are you guys with me on this one, yes, weed is a drug, weed is classed as illegal, but my whole point to this no ruling to diaz is the fact that weed is something that could be inhaled from a smoke filled bar or from a friends house or something like that. Whereas with steroids thats a completely different case, its not likely that steriods are to be accidently inhaled or accidently injected into your body.
As far as i am aware weed is not a performance inhancing drug, Its more likely to make you feel lazy and spaced out, its not gonna make you want to fight a fast paced explosive fight with japans lightweight champion of the world is it ???
Diaz was robbed of an impressive win that put him in the top 3, and i tell you guys, the rematch will go down the same way, gomi is a striker in mma, diaz will win again and take his well deserved spot at the top.
Mastodon2
7/1/07 12:01:36PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Are you guys with me on this one, yes, weed is a drug, weed is classed as illegal, but my whole point to this no ruling to diaz is the fact that weed is something that could be inhaled from a smoke filled bar or from a friends house or something like that. Whereas with steroids thats a completely different case, its not likely that steriods are to be accidently inhaled or accidently injected into your body.
As far as i am aware weed is not a performance inhancing drug, Its more likely to make you feel lazy and spaced out, its not gonna make you want to fight a fast paced explosive fight with japans lightweight champion of the world is it ???
Diaz was robbed of an impressive win that put him in the top 3, and i tell you guys, the rematch will go down the same way, gomi is a striker in mma, diaz will win again and take his well deserved spot at the top.

They tested Diaz's THC levels, they said "15 is positive, Diaz had 175", so we can deduce that anything below 15 (in whatever arbitrary unit they measure it by) is a pass, so this will make sure that people dont get caught by going out clubbing, or to bars etc. Ive been out clubbing recently, so my THC level is probably 2 or 3 or this Unit, but smoking it obviously raises someones THC levels to higher than 15, so they can be sure that with reasonable certainty that people have been abusing Cannabis in some form. Diaz had a level of 175. This is a gargantuan amount, if 15 is considered the failure limit for the test.
KYGUY07
7/1/07 1:59:58PM
The way i see it is you shouldnt overturn a decison on weed, if your not gonna overturn a decison when someone was on steroids. its just ridiculous.
keith-hackney1
7/1/07 2:16:14PM
Whats thc levels???
hippysmacker
7/1/07 2:20:39PM

Posted by KYGUY07

The way i see it is you shouldnt overturn a decison on weed, if your not gonna overturn a decison when someone was on steroids. its just ridiculous.

I see your point , but 2 wrongs don't make a right. If my car was stolen , and the thief was never caught, i wouldn't want anyones else's car thief to get away with it either.Also, THC is Tetrahydrocannabinol, the main pyschactive ingredient in marijuana. In other words, it's what gets you high.
keith-hackney1
7/1/07 2:30:40PM
Thanks for explanation, is it standard for all mma athletes to be tested on their thc levels after a fight or would someone from nsac been tipped off on diaz's condition.??
Im really behind the times you guys, been a long couple of weeks at work, i just saw in a response the words, "why let someone off who has taken steroids" ...... Does that mean that a has been gracie still gets the undeserved victory that the gracie brothers paid k1 judges to rule in royces favour and rob sak ??? ..Oh no, what next !!
hippysmacker
7/1/07 2:33:13PM
they get tested before and after the fight
Aether
7/1/07 5:12:21PM
Don't take this the wrong way kaduey but you're badly misinformed about this. There is no chance in hell that anyone is going to be hanging around people who are smoking pot and test positive for THC 2 days later, hell 5 minutes later. The concentration of smoke floating around in the open air isn't close to enough to put the amount of THC required for a positive test into your system. On top of that fact, the majority of the smoke floating around in the air will already have been inhaled and exhaled, meaning the vast majority of the THC has already been absorbed into the bloodstream of whoever smoked it to begin with.

You can argue this from a lot of different angles, but that just isn't one of them. He did willingly take the drug, now whether you believe the punishment fits the crime, or whether it should even constitute a crime is another matter, but he DID do the drug. Apparently he actually ATE it as opposed to smoking it, which makes all of this make a lot more sense to me. His levels were through the roof, when you eat pot it actually takes a much larger amount to get you high.... it also gives you an all-around body high as opposed to a head high as well as lasting for a significantly longer period of time which again makes a lot of sense if his intention really was to use it as a pain-killer.

-EDIT-
As for your question of do they get tested for THC, yes, everyone gets tested the same way. The tests aren't designed to search for a specific kind of drug or another, they simply look at what chemicals are there that are not naturally present in human blood, so one blood test will find cocaine/thc/anabolic steroids/whatever... no one would've had to have been tipped off, it would just show up regardless.
Pages: [1] 2